Nonrefundable Cruise Deposit - Really???

Anchors Away

In April 2019, we booked a eight night cruise aboard the Celebrity Equinox sailing on May 23, 2020 in celebration of our wedding anniversary. We paid our deposit and were informed it was nonrefundable. That was fine with us, we had no intention of cancelling. We were looking forward to this cruise vacation and to talking to our other cruise critic friends on the roll call as we counted down the months.

On Friday, October 4, 2019 we received an email from our Big Box Travel Agent that our cruise had been cancelled by Celebrity. They chartered the ship for four of our eight days to a group. I only get five vacation days a year and my request has been approved and locked in. Celebrity offered alternative options but since my vacation was already scheduled, the only one I could select would have been the Bahamas for the remaining four days of that week. It is a lot of trouble to pack and get to the port for a four day cruise to somewhere I don't want to visit again, especially since the remaining four days no longer included our anniversary.

On Saturday, October 5, we called our travel agency to request a refund. After talking to Celebrity, they told us we would have our $900.00 deposit refunded within ten days. When the deposit was not received, we called again today to check the status. Our travel agent said they had been told by Celebrity that our deposit was nonrefundable. Our problem has been turned over to a supervisor at the travel agency and we should hear back from them by Wednesday, October 23rd.

I can see Celebrity keeping my deposit if I had cancelled, but I didn't. They cancelled my anniversary vacation and to pour salt in the wound, they want to keep my money. I am still ready, willing and able to occupy my sunset verandah room for eight days beginning on May 23rd, but Celebrity took that option away. Why am I being penalized $900.00 in addition to a ruined anniversary vacation?

I have read posts from many unhappy cruisers whose trips got cancelled so a cruise line could accept a private charter. The revenue they make from these charters must be substantial if is worth all the ill will they generate. My husband and I believe in brand loyalty. We are diamond level cruisers with Royal Caribbean. Earlier this year we celebrated my husband's birthday in a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean SOS. This debacle has us rethinking our loyalty and all future vacations. There are many vacations options in the world and if Celebrity thinks this is the way to treat loyal customers, it is definitely time to exercise those options.

Anchors Away

Unfortunately charters are very profitable which is why every cruise line does charters.  I think that there is a miscommunication somewhere.

First with a non-refundable deposit had you cancelled before final payment you would have received a $700 Future Cruise credit which you could apply to a cruise within 12 months and you would have forfeited $200.  

So since Celebrity chartered the ship it makes no sense that you would lose $900.

Your TA needs to escalate this until you get a full refund. This is where a good TA comes in handy.    If they don’t then I suggest you email LLP. 

We recently had a booking cancelled for a charter and we were able to move to another sailing and came out way ahead, but we are retired s have a lot of flexibility.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anchors Away said:

In April 2019, we booked a eight night cruise aboard the Celebrity Equinox sailing on May 23, 2020 in celebration of our wedding anniversary. We paid our deposit and were informed it was nonrefundable. That was fine with us, we had no intention of cancelling. We were looking forward to this cruise vacation and to talking to our other cruise critic friends on the roll call as we counted down the months.

On Friday, October 4, 2019 we received an email from our Big Box Travel Agent that our cruise had been cancelled by Celebrity. They chartered the ship for four of our eight days to a group. I only get five vacation days a year and my request has been approved and locked in. Celebrity offered alternative options but since my vacation was already scheduled, the only one I could select would have been the Bahamas for the remaining four days of that week. It is a lot of trouble to pack and get to the port for a four day cruise to somewhere I don't want to visit again, especially since the remaining four days no longer included our anniversary.

On Saturday, October 5, we called our travel agency to request a refund. After talking to Celebrity, they told us we would have our $900.00 deposit refunded within ten days. When the deposit was not received, we called again today to check the status. Our travel agent said they had been told by Celebrity that our deposit was nonrefundable. Our problem has been turned over to a supervisor at the travel agency and we should hear back from them by Wednesday, October 23rd.

I can see Celebrity keeping my deposit if I had cancelled, but I didn't. They cancelled my anniversary vacation and to pour salt in the wound, they want to keep my money. I am still ready, willing and able to occupy my sunset verandah room for eight days beginning on May 23rd, but Celebrity took that option away. Why am I being penalized $900.00 in addition to a ruined anniversary vacation?

I have read posts from many unhappy cruisers whose trips got cancelled so a cruise line could accept a private charter. The revenue they make from these charters must be substantial if is worth all the ill will they generate. My husband and I believe in brand loyalty. We are diamond level cruisers with Royal Caribbean. Earlier this year we celebrated my husband's birthday in a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean SOS. This debacle has us rethinking our loyalty and all future vacations. There are many vacations options in the world and if Celebrity thinks this is the way to treat loyal customers, it is definitely time to exercise those options.

Anchors Away

What did Celebrity offer as compensation for cancelling the cruise?  Was there a future cruise credit? Weere there other cruises you could select?  Any OBC?

I am so sorry, and this is horrible.  There is no reason you should not receive your deposit back.  I would continue to fight for this.  I am a loyal celebrity cruiser, but this for sure would make me consider to jump ship.  Since we always book our cruises over a year out, I have come to the realization that our cruises May get chartered.  I would hate it, but would know it was a risk.  Having said that, would not accept losing out money because of celebrity’s decision to charter it.  I hate that this is even an issue. So sorry

• Like 5

Unbelievable. I can't help but think that someone at Celebrity has made a mistake, and I echo the recommendation from others that you have your TA pursue this at a higher level.

As a matter of interest, have other members of the roll call for this cruise also been denied the return of their deposit? Even if you haven't joined the roll call, it would be worth your while to do a bit of research there.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I don't book non refundable deposits because life is unexpected.  In your case you booked the cruise in good faith with a nonrefundable deposit. Unfortunately Charters happen but there is no way that they should be keeping your deposit. We have the same issue as you do with vacation time which is another reason I won't book NRD. I hope someone at the travel agency or Celebrity made a mistake. If the other itineraries don't work for you than you should get a full refund. Don't give up until you get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anchors Away said:

Anchors Away

There have been several complaints about this cruise so far.  You are not the first.  This reminds me of the airlines overbooking flights.  This is a disreputable practice.  

• Like 1

As regards keeping your deposit, this seems to me to be a communication problem with  Celebrity.  They cannot keep your deposit if they are the ones who cancelled the cruise. Or perhaps your TA is not being honest??  I would reach out again. It is not unusual for Celebrity’s customer service reps to make mistakes.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Looks like one of those rare threads when everyone is in agreement.  No way you shouldn't be getting your deposit back.  

And if Celebrity was a customer oriented company they would offer him a future cruise credit for how they have inconvenienced him.  Fifty percent sounds about right to me.

I would try to keep their business.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

A full refund and a future cruise credit seems very reasonable considering the circumstances.  

We book a lot of nonrefundable deposits and not just on cruise ships.  We fully understanding that we could lose out.  There have been a few times when we have lost our deposits.  But in the long run we are still ahead of the game.  

The cruise cancelling the cruise is a whole different ball game.  They really should recognize the grief they are causing and offer more by way of compensation.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 6

Really, once someone has put a deposit down, the cruise line should not even be able to come back and say " gee we are sorry, but we sold your room to someone else for more money".   Canceling a cruise because of mechanical issues, or acts of God are one thing.  Cancelling because they got a better fare should not be permitted.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ldubs said:

Really, once someone has put a deposit down, the cruise line should not even be able to come back and say " gee we are sorry, but we sold your room to someone else for more money".   Canceling a cruise because of mechanical issues, or acts of God are one thing.  Cancelling because they got a better fare should not be permitted.  

Agreed.  I am not a regulation person but due to bad actors this should be regulated by Congress like the airlines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

While I agree with you they are within their rights to bump you for a charter. At the same time if you book a refundable deposit you have up until final payment to cancel.  Passengers canceling 90 days out happens in greater volume than charters that bump us. 

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

while I understand what your saying what about the passengers who book a cruise or multiple cruises and then  before final payment cancel them and leave the cruise lines with unsold cabins.

in the OPs case they should get their full deposit back and I’m confident that will be the outcome.

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

while I understand what your saying what about the passengers who book a cruise or multiple cruises and then  before final payment cancel them and leave the cruise lines with unsold cabins.

in the OPs case they should get their full deposit back and I’m confident that will be the outcome.

I'm pretty sure they will get it back too. 

I honestly don't know how to answer your question about passengers taking advantage of cancellation rules.  But I do not see it as an equal treatment issue.  I simply don't think a carrier should be allowed to bump a valid ticket because they found a higher bidder.   

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I can’t believe anyone is defending this disreputable practice.  Are these all TAs?

The only thing disreputable is the cruise line keeping the deposit. If you read the cruise contract you probably would never book a cruise. Charters, missed ports, technical issues, whether issues and itinerary changes are all part of cruising and the cruise contract.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The only thing disreputable is the cruise line keeping the deposit. If you read the cruise contract you probably would never book a cruise. Charters, missed ports, technical issues, whether issues and itinerary changes are all part of cruising and the cruise contract.

Weather is not the cruise lines fault.  Booking a charter AKA overbooking is.  Disreputable yes.

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I understand.  And there is no argument that safety has to trump all other things.  

I guess I would support that the current adhesive contract needs to change because bumping for no good reason should be prohibited.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

It's disgraceful that you'd even have to fight to get your deposit back. They should have sent it to you along with an apology for your inconvenience in the form of a monetary future cruise credit and payment of any non-refundable purchases you'd made (like air or hotel).

• Like 5

I live in UK, so if we cancel a cruise we loose our deposit, but we are used to these T&C.

However, a few years ago, I had to cancel a cruise due to a change in circumstances, but I was told that I could move the cruise to another booking at a charge of £75, but I would have to pay for the flight that was attached to the cruise.

I objected, but was told that I was told this at booking. I said I wasn’t.

The agent said they had listened to the recording of the booking, but I couldn’t, which I said was unfair.

No where did I have anything in writing about the air fare T& C.

So I resorted to Celebrity’s Social media site.

The air fare charge was dropped ‘as a gesture of goodwill,’ within a couple of hours.

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

I live in UK, so if we cancel a cruise we loose our deposit, but we are used to these T&C.

However, a few years ago, I had to cancel a cruise due to a change in circumstances, but I was told that I could move the cruise to another booking at a charge of £75, but I would have to pay for the flight that was attached to the cruise.

I objected, but was told that I was told this at booking. I said I wasn’t.

The agent said they had listened to the recording of the booking, but I couldn’t, which I said was unfair.

No where did I have anything in writing about the air fare T& C.

So I resorted to Celebrity’s Social media site.

The air fare charge was dropped ‘as a gesture of goodwill,’ within a couple of hours.

But if X cancels a cruise over here because they chartered it out, you would still get your deposit refunded as they have not kept their side of the agreement in providing the cruise you booked. 

I believe there has definitely been a miscommunication. X can’t possibly keep the deposits if they have cancelled the cruise, whether they be refundable or not. The OP needs to take it further; as the old saying goes, ‘ring again’ - you’ll probably get a totally different answer the next time.

• Like 3