Nonrefundable Cruise Deposit - Really???

Anchors Away

On 10/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, mitz18 said:

Not being an alarmist in fact I said “just as info”.  OP asked for info so I passed it along. 

Passing off speculation and your misreading of standard cruise contract terms is not "info" if it's wrong

39 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Passing off speculation and your misreading of standard cruise contract terms is not "info" if it's wrong

Not sure how a cut & paste can be misreading, but ok.  Each to their own.

54 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

13 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Not sure how a cut & paste can be misreading, but ok.  Each to their own.

The cut & paste was fine, but your interpretation that "We can do what we want for any reason...." is a definite misreading of the contract.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The cut & paste was fine, but your interpretation that "We can do what we want for any reason...." is a definite misreading of the contract.

It was not a legal interpretation, however a reaction to their wording -for any reason whatsoever .  But we digress from the topic & I hope OP has found some satisfactory resolve.

I agree, no need to get bogged down in side issues.  We can all read and interpret legalese....some better than others.

Point is  that OP was not given a choice about a shortened itin to a less desireable port,  and should not be penalized in any way if none of the offered alternatives are workable.

In all fairness,  OP should be  given a full refund plus OBC towards a future booking. This could well be the outcome if  Celeb One Touch or LLP,s office is involved.

Hope a vacation of some sort can be salvaged!

On 10/20/2019 at 7:00 AM, OceanCruise said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Usually charters are for an entire cruise so I find it interesting how an 8 day cruise would actually become 2 separate four day cruises. Is there any way you misunderstood what you were told? Meaning, is your cruise really cancelled or perhaps you were just being notified as a courtesy that a large group will be on your cruise which will impact dining and your access to various public areas on the ship? I don't see a 4 day cruise listed on the Celebrity site and wonder if two 4 day itineraries would be impacted by the Jones act.

We were booked on a 14 night sailing that was chartered for 5 days of the 14.  That left Celebrity with 9 days to fill but they were working on contracts before they released it and it took quite some time (about 6 weeks or so) to release the new itinerary, even though we were notified of it when the 14 night sailing was canceled.  They just don't release it on any sites as they are not only working on those port contracts but are also getting an idea of how many of their bumped passengers are transferring to the new sailing as well as working on the new pricing structure for these folks.  

I was hoping the OP would come back and update us on what the TA found out.  Just a lot of ?s hanging in my mind- deposit according to OP was $900 but normal deposit for 8 days is $500, initially said told cruise was canceled but actual wording was shortened, no indication of what the price or incentives would be to stay on for the shorten  cruise.  

We have had cruises cancelled and itineraries with some significant changes but have always received a clear communication from X via our TA with our options clearly spelled out.  Not sure where the communication snafu happened but would like to know the outcome.

At last, we got the call from the travel agency. Waiting has been hard but the result is worth the wait. We were told we will have our $900 refund in five days. I am so relieved - well cautiously optimistic anyhow. We were originally told we would get a refund and then we were told we wouldn't. So I am hoping this one sticks.

Those of you who said it was a misunderstanding were exactly right. The travel agent said Celebrity misunderstood. You fellow cruise critics have been great. I appreciate your opinions, suggestions and just giving me the chance to voice my concerns. Thank you.

I can' t wait to start planning our replacement anniversary trip and I hope to see you on the deep blue seas soon.

Anchors Away

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Anchors Away said:

At last, we got the call from the travel agency. Waiting has been hard but the result is worth the wait. We were told we will have our $900 refund in five days. I am so relieved - well cautiously optimistic anyhow. We were originally told we would get a refund and then we were told we wouldn't. So I am hoping this one sticks.

Those of you who said it was a misunderstanding were exactly right. The travel agent said Celebrity misunderstood. You fellow cruise critics have been great. I appreciate your opinions, suggestions and just giving me the chance to voice my concerns. Thank you.

I can' t wait to start planning our replacement anniversary trip and I hope to see you on the deep blue seas soon.

Anchors Away

These things have a way of working out for the best (at least they seem to for us) - hope you have an amazing anniversary!!

21 minutes ago, Anchors Away said:

Anchors Away

Glad that things worked out positively as many here thought it would. I hope you have a happy albeit different anniversary trip.

That’s why I don’t worry about the back and forth a lot because in beginning there is usually miscommunication on how to proceed.  I just make sure I have my points later out clearly.  And will get clarifications. Yes these types of things can be frustrating but they usually sort themselves out once reaching the correct person.  

glad it worked out for you correctly and didn’t have to go back and forth.  This is definitely where having a good ta helps significantly.   

Edited by bikerunner

I'm glad Celebrity did the right thing.  It's one thing if a cruise itinerary is changed and shortened at the last minute for reasons beyond their control, like a hurricane; it's entirely different if THEY willingly change it for something that is entirely within their control, and drastically at that, many months prior.