Cafe Promenade Pizza

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, sjb317 said:

Where can you get decent pizza in Florida?  We live about 20 min south of Canaveral and I’ve had no luck so far.

Sherri🙂

Near you - Via Napoli inside Epcot in Italy! yum!!!

1 minute ago, sjb317 said:

That would be a pretty expensive pizza😂😂

Sherri🙂

probably true - luckily DH and I have Annual Passes - but we did decide one day we were in the mood - we are in JAX so 2.5 hours away - drove down had lunch and came home...Its good Pizza - well worth the tank of gas btu we're crazy like that...

7 hours ago, tomservo said:

Sometimes it's the ingredients, but often it's the technique. I doubt NYC water makes any significant difference. Here's Dan from ATK testing that theory in NYC bagels

Thanks for posting that. I've always wondered about the same recipe/ingredients used but cooked/baked in a different location.    Yes, you can get consistently  good pizza in New York but some of the best pizza I've tasted has been in Las Vegas, Nashville and Florida.  Of course, I tend to drink a lot in those place so...

Honestly, my palate is not sensitive enough to discern what type of what the dough is baked with.

7 hours ago, tomservo said:

Hey don't knock those guys, they represent solid value! 😁 I've had a few slices from the, years ago, I thought they were actually not bad - better than cruise ship pizza. Haven't had any in the last decade though.

Good point. In an area where a cheap lunch is $15-$20, 2 slices and a can of soda for under $3 is a solid value and then some!  But it's been hit and miss. As you said, some are not bad but a few others have just been terrible.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

Sorrentos is at the same level as DiGiorno's is what I was gettn at.    Its OK to soak up the booze after all the cocktailing .. but it ain't pizza!

I thought the same thing about Pepe Original Tomato Pie.  I've heard so much about it over the years so maybe it was a case of high expectations. It was good, pretty good, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

Food is always subjective but not after an action packed day at designated ports or when you have had a few drinks! 

and that's why I will always love cafe promenade.  Looking forward to *tasting* if it has improved.

Edited by KelSny1011
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jenniferop said:

probably true - luckily DH and I have Annual Passes - but we did decide one day we were in the mood - we are in JAX so 2.5 hours away - drove down had lunch and came home...Its good Pizza - well worth the tank of gas btu we're crazy like that...

I’m not sure there is any pizza in this world good enough to get me to do that!😂

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, jenniferop said:

We’re in Jax, too, but my road trips for lunch are to Boston’s Fish House in New Smyrna. 

Fresh New England seafood flown in daily. Great lobster rolls and steamed clams. 

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Thanks for posting that. I've always wondered about the same recipe/ingredients used but cooked/baked in a different location.    Yes, you can get consistently  good pizza in New York but some of the best pizza I've tasted has been in Las Vegas, Nashville and Florida.  Of course, I tend to drink a lot in those place so...

Honestly, my palate is not sensitive enough to discern what type of what the dough is baked with.

Good point. In an area where a cheap lunch is $15-$20, 2 slices and a can of soda for under $3 is a solid value and then some!  But it's been hit and miss. As you said, some are not bad but a few others have just been terrible.

You know the one thing I really miss? The Halal food carts. When I worked downtown there was one right outside of my office. I ate there 2-3 times a week, always getting the same thing - gyro over salad with veggies, extra meat, white sauce and hot sauce. SOOOO GOOD. Honestly I liked mine better than the well known ones in midtown (Famous Halal Guys I think?)

Pizza-wise I'm not super picky, if it's at least on the same level as frozen cafeteria pizza (ie Ellio's) I won't say no to it. Amazingly I've had cruise ship pizza that was worse than that, so here's hoping to Sorrento's...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I thought the same thing about Pepe Original Tomato Pie.  I've heard so much about it over the years so maybe it was a case of high expectations. It was good, pretty good, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

..Same here!    Pepe's is so silly and over rated .. total outta-towner-trap.  I;d never stand there for an hour waiting for it either.   Loads of other places just as good or better all over New Haven area!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 6:14 PM, pgerbphoto said:

Does the pepperoni brand start with an E? :-)

I know this is an older post but hey, did you buy any of that pepperoni yet? I was doing the search thing too, and if this is the same company you came up with be sure and check out this recall news LOL

https://www.whio.com/business/ezzo-sausage-company-recalls-sliced-sausage-pepperoni-for-possible-listeria-contamination/oB3ioVpySLnS7HDjuGbHNM/

Come on now folks , we all know Chicago pizza is the best and I’m not talking deep dish. Most people from Chicago don’t normal eat deep dish alt hot is good. Just regular crust pizza for most of us true Chicagoans !

Ill be on Harmony next year and I hope the pizza isn’t that horrible 

Edited by Midwestgal

On 10/21/2019 at 8:59 AM, tomservo said:

Has anyone had Sorrento's on Anthem recently? Going to be on in a few weeks. Normally I avoid cruise ship pizza, and this is coming from someone who grew up on Ellio's (which I would still eat, albeit in much smaller quantities). 

We were on Anthem a couple of weeks ago.  Went to Sorrento's one night and it was really good thin crust pizza. A night or two later it was something that was a half inch or so thick, neither thick nor thin and awful.  Soggy, limp and flavorless. Red Barron would have been a massive improvement.  Attendant said they weren't  making thin any more.   So if it's thin, it's worth a try.  Otherwise hunger it s a much better option.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, tomservo said:

You know the one thing I really miss? The Halal food carts. When I worked downtown there was one right outside of my office. I ate there 2-3 times a week, always getting the same thing - gyro over salad with veggies, extra meat, white sauce and hot sauce. SOOOO GOOD. Honestly I liked mine better than the well known ones in midtown (Famous Halal Guys I think?)

Those Yellow shirt guys get us every time plus Johns on Bleaker for the Pizza

• Like 1