First time on Royal Caribbean

luisc25

Hello; this is my first post on CC after reading a lot here on allure of the seas and first time on Royal Caribbean.

i booked a cruise on May 10,2020 at allure of the seas, this will be my first Cruise with them.

I have a couple question I can get answered from the forum:

1) I booked a balcony cabin#9664 any input on this room; we will be traveling with our toddler she will be 2 years by that time. 
Wife want to leave her in the states with her grandparents; I refuse.

2) We are thinking of buying the UDP since it’s our anniversary, just waiting for Black Friday. Do you guys think it’s worth it? It’s different with the drinking package, we are both 30 but don’t drink a lot maybe a drink or two each day. Don’t think we will break even specially with all the port visit on that cruise. 

3) Any other recommendations as new cruisers on Royal Caribbean? 

Welcome to CC and to the RCI family.  

I really can't respond to your first question as my kids were adults before we did our first cruise.

As for the UDP, I really don't see it being worth the price if you will only have 1 or 2 drinks a day and you have a port intensive itinerary (It would help if you specified the itinerary and dates in your message).  If you drink a lot of specialty type coffee and/or soda and/or non-alcoholic cocktails you may want to look into the non-alcoholic beverage package.  Also, if you purchase any items on the cruise planner (beverage pkgs, specialty dining, excursions, internet) and the price goes down before you sail you can always cancel them and repurchase at the lower price.

Steve

Your  two year old will love cruising.   For us the Drink Package is not worth it.  My husband is on too much medication and is not allowed alcohol😢. I get free drinks at night, anyway, if the price is good go for it.  Book whatever you can Entertainment wise before you cruise.  The Cruise Planner will have the info.  If you are doing  MyTime Dining make reservations ahead also.  You can always change times onboard.  The room should be fine, make sure the balcony door is locked,   We don’t want the little one getting out!  Enjoy

If this is your first cruise with your little one my only advice is go in with realistic expectations. We’ve gone with our toddler but also have left them home. You’ll have an absolute blast either way just in a different way. The room should be great. We aren’t huge drinkers either but we did enjoy taking a bottle of wine on the balcony and relaxing while our daughter fell asleep.

Welcome to CC and to Royal Caribbean!  This place is invaluable, so much great info for new AND seasoned cruisers.  You are in the right place!

If you were referring to the Unlimited Dining Package, I read good things about it.  Don't think I've seen anyone regret that purchase.  I've considered it myself and if the price on Black Friday is really good, I just may go for it.  Like you, I've decided NOT to buy the Ultimate Drink Pkg for the same reasons (too many port days).  Can't help you much with the cabin question, this will be my first sailing on a ship in this class as well.  But I'm confident the room will be just find for your small family.

Be sure to schedule your entertainment as soon as it becomes available on the RCI website (you'll need to establish an account and access your reservation, can be done even if you used a travel agent).  Enjoy your cruise and happy planning! 

2 hours ago, Ren1216 said:

Welcome to CC and to Royal Caribbean!  This place is invaluable, so much great info for new AND seasoned cruisers.  You are in the right place!

If you were referring to the Unlimited Dining Package, I read good things about it.  Don't think I've seen anyone regret that purchase.  I've considered it myself and if the price on Black Friday is really good, I just may go for it.  Like you, I've decided NOT to buy the Ultimate Drink Pkg for the same reasons (too many port days).  Can't help you much with the cabin question, this will be my first sailing on a ship in this class as well.  But I'm confident the room will be just find for your small family.

Be sure to schedule your entertainment as soon as it becomes available on the RCI website (you'll need to establish an account and access your reservation, can be done even if you used a travel agent).  Enjoy your cruise and happy planning! 

Thanks I booked directly from RCCL website. The price was lower than every travel agent I called. 

also back in July when I booked the price was more with the recent sale of each guest 30% off. I was able to save $1,000 just called Royal and the representative was nice and look a current price and adjusted. I couldn’t see the price because all 3 occupants balcony were sold out.

12 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

Thanks a lot for all the reply, I’m going on the Eastern Mediterranean  departing from Barcelona.

That one have 6 ports and 1 day cruising. 

What are the must try restaurants on Allure?

The beverage package would be a waste of money for you, 8 drinks a day is breakeven. Look into the 3 night dining package. Chop's, CP 150 and Giovani's/Jamie's are all worth while, with the package you have to wait until you board to make reservations but it would be no problem getting what you want. Be sure to make all your show reservations as soon as booking opens, usually 45 - 90 days before sailing and get there at least 15 minutes before show time.  Book the Aqua show early in the week, it is cancelled and rebooked later in the week if the weather is bad.  You will be getting on her just a week or so out of the 60 day dry dock, she will shine.  On boarding day skip the Windjammer and head for Central Park Cafe or go to the Bistro for lunch.  JR has a no charge breakfast every day before 10am. When it comes to crowds be flexible, a thirty minute change in eating times can make a huge difference at dinner or lunch. Be sure to make it to MDR lunch on your sea day, the salad bar buffet is awesome. happy cruising

Check the menu's posted on the Royal website for the specialty restaurants.  Do you want to eat these same menus for the entire cruise?  If not, the UDP isn't for you.  You CAN get a good deal if you only want them for a few nights by buying a shorter package.  The food in the main dining room is pretty good and included in your cruise price.  If you just want a steak or surf and turf you get get this for an extra cost in the main dining room far cheaper than booking the steak house.  We booked 6:30 MyTime for our Allure cruise last week and sat at the same two-top tables with the same waiters for the entire cruise.  Or you can come anytime and sit anywhere with different waiters.  Your choice.  Large or small table, your choice.  If you pick Fixed Seating you will eat at the same table with the same waiters and passengers for the whole cruise (and they do also have two-person tables).

As others have said, you should select shows when they become available.  Open seating, but this gets you in 30 minutes before the show to a seat of your choice.  They open up to walk-ins at 10 minutes prior to the show.  The aqua show has two types of seats, bench and with backs - get their early to get a seat with a back.  Ice show we either sit in the first row on the sides or back at the tables in the back.  You won't know who the Headliner is until a few weeks before the cruise (ours was a singer, in the past Ronn Lucas, ventriloquist).  Comedy show is smallest if you like comedy clubs, so book that early.  They also do a show in the main theater.  Each show plays for a couple of days and several times around the dinner hours.  We really like Blue Planet.  If you like Mama Mia, they do a good job.

You are on the first cruise after the dry dock, so ship will have new water slides, an escape room, and Abyss dry slide.  Read posts here about keeping your arms away from the walls on Abyss.  Ship is also adding Loco Fresh.

Last day they will have a large cake at the entrance to the Windjammer and cut it around 1.

Think your toddler will have to be in the nursery - Adventure Ocean I think is 3 years old and fully potty trained.  There is a small water play area for this age but most pools do not allow diapers.

Read up on this web site and the port boards - planning is a lot of fun.  Allure is huge and you probably won't see it all in one cruise.

Edited by LeeW
more

I've taken cruises both ways, with and without the kids.  Without is definitely a different experience.  It's really, really nice to spend time with just your partner.  Now that mine are grown adults, it's great when they're able to come along because they have their own cabin and we get to enjoy the privacy of ours  ☺️

• Like 1

If you trust the grandparents have this be a grown up vacation.  Your marriage needs a recharge once in a while.  She will be fine.  Ours survived and yours will too.  Be sure and leave them a notarized consent to treat just in case she gets sick or hurt.

if you take her know that this will not be the same vacation but still enjoyable.  You’ll take lots of diapers.  I’d take your own pack and play for her to sleep in.  Royal has some but no guarantee and they are pretty well used ie dirty. You’ll need stroller and car seat for excursions.  All these things will be stored in your small cabin.  Again people do it all the time but you will enjoy it more as a couple.

Everything else you’ll find on these boards.  Read often and ask questions.  Check out the port of call board for excursion ideas and the family boards if you choose to take your daughter.  There is so much wonderful information here but it’s up to you somewhat to find it.

Google allure of the seas balcony cabins to get an idea of the size of the rooms.  Your room won’t be there but an balcony on allure video will give you an idea what to expect for size and storage for all those diapers you’ll bring.

Last tip.  Don’t sweat the small stuff and have a great time!

For what its worth...Two is a tough age to cruise with-so much of your time would be spent caring for her and she's not really old enough to enjoy the kids club.  My husband and I never got away together after our kids were born.  They are teenagers now.  Sadly, we didn't have family that could stay with our kids -it would have been really good for our relationship to have time without kids....so I think you should let your child have a special grandparent week and not give it a second thought.  Cruising is great for families -if you want a FAMILY vacation.  If it is your anniversary-try to go alone (IF you can enjoy yourselves without worrying about your kiddo).  If she was old enough to enjoy (and stay) in the kids club then it would be a different story.  We only cruise because our kids love it so much-but they could send all day at the kids/teen club and we barely see them.  Also having a toddler in tow limits your excursion options.

I also wouldn't do the drink or dining package.  Maybe do one or two special dinners.  The food on board is fine and they have so many options-you probably cant even try all the free options on one cruise.  As we learned with the drink package (even with juice and specialty coffee etc) that unless you are a drinker it isn't worth it.  My husband can drink 3-4 drinks in a night ONCE in a while but not day after day.  And he didn't like the ship coffee and wished he could have Starbucks but felt obligated  to drink what he had already paid for.

Don't miss the shows.  Make a reservation as soon as they open and try to book each show toward the beginning of the cruise in case they have to cancel it-you will still have a chance to go.

I was never bored on Oasis Class.  There is so much to do and see.  We were on Celebrity last summer and gosh I was so bored.  You will have a blast.

Why is there a question about leaving your  2yr old home?

Doesn't your wife deserve a vacation? If you have great parents or in-laws willing to take the kid for a week do it. It will be a vacation for your kid.

Without the kid the drink package makes more sense.

You and your wife might not have the opportunity to be "lovers" again until your child is a teenager.

RCI has a great child package for those who don't have a chance but you do, Stop and ENJOY yourselves again

• Like 1

22 hours ago, luisc25 said:

Thanks for the advice; yes we are seriously thinking on leaving her. 

My husband and I just got back from a cruise where we left our 4 and 1 year old with my parents. Honestly I think I was far more stressed and unsure about it while I was planning then I was while on board. They had a blast and so did we. Just really sit and think about they type of vacation you’re envisioning and go from there.

Just now, CruiseBride926 said:

My husband and I just got back from a cruise where we left our 4 and 1 year old with my parents. Honestly I think I was far more stressed and unsure about it while I was planning then I was while on board. They had a blast and so did we. Just really sit and think about they type of vacation you’re envisioning and go from there.

I should also add that we ended up booking a cruise with them after being back home for 2 weeks so clearly my guilt wasn’t 100% absolved but still no regrets 😂

Thank you so much everyone for the comments!!

we are leaving the baby, now we are trying to see if they can separate our flight tickets without canceling our original reservation. 

we are going to book some offshore excursion any recommendation for that western Mediterranean?

I was thinking doing the ones in Rome. Maybe the best if Rome or the other one they have.
also just purchased the UDP if it goes down on Black Friday will cancel and re-purchase. 

One last question any good wine I can buy in Barcelona any recommendations? 

thanks again, 

Beverages INCLUDED in your fare are: Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast.  If you're good with that, and will only be drinking a couple drinks per day, a package of any kind isn't worth the price.