First time balconies

Ellusionz

Looking to decide what to book for our 2020 cruise. If I can talk one friend into booking during December we can get another friend to join us making it 4, bringing the price of getting a balcony much more reasonable. This cruise is the 8 day on Legend that does part of the Panama Canal. We've never been, and always talked about if we did we'd have to splurge for a balcony. Again, talking friend into it is the hardest part right now LOL. 

So we've always booked cheaper rooms, what do you look for in a balcony? I was thinking since it's 4 of us to splurge a the lil bit more for the extended balcony for space. Will they give us 4 seats or are they limited to what photos look like of 3? For those who have gone on the Panama Canal Partial thing, is port or starboard better? 

Thanks for any tips!

We had an extended aft on a 10 day into the Panama Canal. It was great. The extra room and view was fantastic. The only thing I will say is that it gets HOT back there. There is no breeze and the sun beats in there. It easily feels 20 degrees hotter back there. At night it was great as it was in the mornings. The only problem with a balcony is once you have one you'll never want to cruise any other way again. 

Be prepared to never want to go back to a non-balcony room...lol. The Legend is in my favorite class of ship. If you can, look for the "bowling alley balcony". They are huge! I had one on the Pride. Room 6232. Standard size room, but the placement on ship has it next to the steward's station. You get all that space in a balcony. We had 3 chaise loungers, 3 chairs, and 2 tables. I don't know if they are available for 4 people would be the only issue. I've never cruised with more than one other person. Have a great trip!

• Like 1

Once you go balcony, you will never go back.  

However, what is the cabin space of putting 4 ppl in a balcony as opposed to other cabins?  There will more than likely be bunk beds involved...  ??

Make sure you know what you are booking

• Like 2

I have gone balcony, and have gone back. Sure they are nicer. However, I didn't find that it adds value for the $500-$1000 additional cost it usually is. Especially when you consider there are views of the water all over, and the fun for me is being out of the room.

If you are going to put 4 people in a room, balcony is a more attractive option due to the additional space and cost is split up more. Still, I've traveled with 3 in a room, and that's a bit much at times due to storage, bathrooms, etc.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I have gone balcony, and have gone back. Sure they are nicer. However, I didn't find that it adds value for the $500-$1000 additional cost it usually is. Especially when you consider there are views of the water all over, and the fun for me is being out of the room.

Yup....when we look back and think about how much time we actually spend in the cabin it just isn't worth it.  The vast majority of the time we are in the room is sleeping or getting ready to go out.  So, the 30 minutes a day I spend drinking coffee on the balcony isn't worth double the price of an inside cabin for me.

• Like 1

I have done 4 women in a balcony cabin and it was tight.  We booked a spa balcony cabin so we would have access to the showers in the spa.  4 women with only 1 bathroom, GOOD LUCK!!!  I would think long and hard about doing that again.

• Like 2

I wouldn't book 4 to a balcony, but that's me.  We did book an extended balcony for the Legend Norway sailing, and figure the couple sailing with us from another cabin join us on our balcony to enjoy the views and take pics without too much jostling.

We are just off the Celebrity Equinox, cabin # 7286, which was the 1st balcony off the middle hump.  It was 15 feet long! (I measured).

• Like 1

Do Not book 4 adults in a cabin - inside, OV or balcony.  DON'T DO IT!  Grab 2 inside cabins instead.  You're having problems getting the 4th person to sign on anyways.  However, if the three of you could splurge for a jr suite that might be a little better. But 4 adults in a regular cabin, NO WAY!! DON'T DO IT!

If you're college students, mid 20's ok you can do it. But 4 grown adults. Nope don't do it. If you check the price for 2 inside cabins it's probably pretty comparable to one balcony.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the advice! Actually the questionable one is one of the regular 3 of us that go together, she usually does family stuff during Dec. Fourth one wants to go but only has select dates since she's in grade school. We're not the type that gets all primpy and fights over the bathrooms. Most issue is I get grumpy not having alone time and thats an easy fix we split up and meet back later. We're still debating which cruise we want to do but since we only do one a year really and the 3 of us have savings due to hurricane that has to be used by 2021 next year we all have to be in agreement on what we do. I just hate if we have to have my grad friend wait til another year or two later.

We were once upgraded to a balcony for the price of an inside.  We only used it once.  Still prefer OV.

Also, many people say it's foolish to be on a balcony during Panama Canal transit.  All you see for a lot of the time is the cement walls of the locks.  Out on a public deck, with the ability to move around, is far preferable.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:41 PM, Ellusionz said:

Looking to decide what to book for our 2020 cruise. If I can talk one friend into booking during December we can get another friend to join us making it 4, bringing the price of getting a balcony much more reasonable. This cruise is the 8 day on Legend that does part of the Panama Canal. We've never been, and always talked about if we did we'd have to splurge for a balcony. Again, talking friend into it is the hardest part right now LOL. 

So we've always booked cheaper rooms, what do you look for in a balcony? I was thinking since it's 4 of us to splurge a the lil bit more for the extended balcony for space. Will they give us 4 seats or are they limited to what photos look like of 3? For those who have gone on the Panama Canal Partial thing, is port or starboard better? 

Thanks for any tips!

For 4 people, I would recommend the extended aft balcony. We always enjoy our balcony a lot. Have coffee out there in the morning, relax out there in the afternoon. It depends on the expense of the cruise: I wouldn't NOT cruise if I couldn't have a balcony, but if it's an affordable option I recommend it.

When we did our Alaskan cruise on the Legend last year we had a large balcony room---it was the size of a suite, but a regular bathroom.   Lots of space and the balcony was large and wide--I think it was room 6279?     That type of room would definitely hold 4 adults well.   We had 3 adults and a teenager.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:41 PM, Ellusionz said:

Thanks for any tips!

Another idea to consider... I know you may be in favor of that particular itinerary, but how about a new ship? The Mardi Gras out of PC will have so many venues new to the Carnival brand. Sure, the itineraries leave much to be desired, but that only gives reason to enjoy the amenities of a new ship!!! Plus, there are variations of different rooms for each subcategory (interior, balcony, etc...)

I originally considered booking a Journeys cruise as well but couldn't pass up the opportunity to cruise on a new class of ship, so...

We are booked for the 8 day inaugural sailing out of PC (all new ports) on 10/16/20

Just another idea to consider...

3 of us already have Mardi Gras Havana interior booked for 2021. So much to factor in on what we're choosing. Dates for the grad, flight costs for the one who lives in Denver and the one that lives in Oklahoma... life is hard 1st world problems lol

On the Legend the best balcony on the entire ship for 4 people is 6232    But 4 adults in one cabin-- all paying the same price-- who gets the beds and who gets the bunk bed?   

e7c3ad0563d4fd705490a9dfdf1dc4d0_235.png

On 10/28/2019 at 11:19 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I understand the financial aspect, but 4 people in a balcony would be too crowded for me. I have done 3 people in a balcony several times and that was pushing it in my book. There are plenty of spots on the ship for sightseeing if you don’t get a balcony. 

How would this be any different than four people in an interior room? It's crowded either way. Why not have the light and fresh air?

19 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

How would this be any different than four people in an interior room? It's crowded either way. Why not have the light and fresh air?

I realize people have different views based on finances, crowd tolerance, etc., but I would never stay in a balcony cabin with more than 3 people and I would never stay in an interior cabin with more than 2 people. My comments are about adults only. Situation is different if you are sharing a cabin with your kids or grand-kids. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I realize people have different views based on finances, crowd tolerance, etc., but I would never stay in a balcony cabin with more than 3 people and I would never stay in an interior cabin with more than 2 people. My comments are about adults only. Situation is different if you are sharing a cabin with your kids or grand-kids. 

I get that but the OP will have a room of 4 people in any case. Can't get around that.

We too have had balconies and then back to interiors.  We mix it up depending on what we feel like spending.  We have a booking for an interior for Super Bowl weekend.  Now, it is a spa interior, because we are kinda hooked on the spa rooms.  It'll be our 11th cruise.  

In fact, our first, on Ecstasy, we booked some kind of guarantee and were upgraded to a balcony.  U79, sounds familiar.  Great little room with the L-shaped couch!