How far in advance do you book?

CruzerDeb

54 minutes ago, glrounds said:

When I was running my business, I had to look for a week I could be away so I frequently booked 2-3 days before the cruise. Once booked the day of the cruise (hardest part was convincing that nice lady in Carnival's office that I was, indeed, aware that the cruise was the same day)🙂. But now I'm retired (turned 80 several days ago) and I have a cruise in January 2020 on the PANORAMA that I booked over a year ago. I must admit, I prefer booking a few days before the cruise, however.  ☺️

Hey, you are retired so you can book whenever you want!  Haha

Happy B-day (belated)!!

7 hours ago, coevan said:

We are looking at a January 2020 cruise now. Because we own a business, we can never book too far off.  We don't even have dates yet, but we will be in shorts, T shirts and sandals somewhere in January. 

And today you're probably snow skiing !

• 1 month later...

I don't know exactly how far out would be the furthest in advance we would book.    We will not book before air fares become available.   We always book airfare at the same time as the cruise.  FWIW,  Mrs Ldubs just booked a land trip/cruise for next September.  I booked the airfares.  

As soon as I see something I want I start planning - and depending how unusual the itinerary is the quicker I want to nail it down.  This past January, just after removing all Christmas decorations it occurred to me that I would like someone else to do that sort of thing, I came across QM2’s Christmas and New Year’s escape to the Caribbean - so I grabbed it;  my preferred accommodations have been sold out for some time, so delay would not have been a good idea  —- - there are precious few attractive itineraries/ships sailing out of New York - so I booked this one just under a year out.

If all you are interested in a is mass market line sailing to the Caribbean from a Florida port between January and April, there are so many, every week, that a couple of weeks in advance is more than enough.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

FWIW,  Mrs Ldubs just booked a land trip/cruise for next September.  I booked the airfares.  

I assume there was some communication before you each made your bookings - a bit awkward if you got a great deal on flights to New Zealand just as she nailed down a charming villa in Tuscany followed by an Aegean cruise.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I assume there was some communication before you each made your bookings - a bit awkward if you got a great deal on flights to New Zealand just as she nailed down a charming villa in Tuscany followed by an Aegean cruise.

Yep, Air New Zealand looked at me kind of strange when I asked about the connection to Madrid.  

By the way, Swiss Air once put me on a connection from Zurich to Rome on Air New Zealand.  Turns out they were wrong of course.  Funny story now but it wasn't at the time.   

Edited by ldubs

How far in advance do you book?

On 10/30/2019 at 7:43 AM, CruzerDeb said:

I like to book as soon as I know I want to cruise (I think the farthest out I've book is 18 months); my DH doesn't like to make plans that far in advance. I've got my eye on Europe cruise.  Does anyone know when 2021 dates will open up?

The furthest out we've booked (so far) has been 23 months.  That was for our first trans Atlantic cruise.  

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yep, Air New Zealand looked at me kind of strange when I asked about the connection to Madrid.  

By the way, Swiss Air once put me on a connection from Zurich to Rome on Air New Zealand.  Turns out they were wrong of course.  Funny story now but it wasn't at the time.   

Happened to me once -years ago: my booked SAS flight from London to Helsinki on a Wednesday was a fiction - it only went Tuesdays and Thursdays - I only found out at attempted check-in.  An amazingly competent agent managed to get me on connections : London-Copenhagen-Stockholm-Helsinki - getting in only four hours later.

Longest, booked April 2021 cruise onboard April 2019 cruise.

Shortest, book Jan 31, 2020 cruise on Nov 10, 2019.  Couldn't pass up the deal of less than $50 per person, per night.

Edited by SRF

As soon as I know I want to do the cruise, I book it. Last week, I booked one for October 2021--and on the day Royal added it to their site.

It's usually pretty far out because I already have a rough idea of my schedule for the next couple of years. 2020 is all booked up. In 2021, I know I have that October cruise, and I intend to book the Star Trek cruise again (and every year).

While I've had my eyes on a few cruises, I don't have any other definitive plans beyond 2021. Either way, I plan to buy CruiseNext deposits on my next NCL cruise, even if I don't know what the next NCL cruise will be by then (and I very well might).