Canada New England Weather 2019 ??

Tedferg

We were scheduled on Canada New England Sept 28 but had to cancel for medical reason. I wonder what weather was like on this cruise and others during this season. I have always been nervous about weather on this itinerary - storms at tail end of Hurricanes etc. Any input from PAX who took this itinerary ?

FYI we had Princess insurance and applied for refund around Oct 3rd - we got checks Oct 31.

Took this cruise on 9/21 this past year and I, too, wondered about what the weather would be like as a lot of the past contributions on various threads revealed unpredictable weather conditions (from sunny to stormy), with the most common suggestion provided being to bring layers to be adequately prepared for anything. 

But for my cruise, the weather was great!

• New York / embarkation day was sunny and warm
  • Newport was cloudy but not really chilly and the sun did shine through at times
  • Boston was humid and hot but it didn't feel like the sun was necessarily stifling and it did get better later in the day
  • Bar Harbor started out cold and chilly in the early morning and we got warm as we walked through town, but then it rained later in the evening
  • Saint John was also cool and chilly throughout the day but layers and a lot of walking helped 
  • Halifax was amazing; stellar weather

Absolutely did not feel a single wave during the cruising periods either. I know that Tropical Storm Melissa came through the Eastern seaboard while the Regal was on its way back to New York from Halifax in mid-October, however, and here are some examples of what rocky seas can do to a ship of that size:

I'd say for this year that the September season for CA/NE itineraries was not bad/pretty good but it rained a bit more as it got later into the season, especially near the end of Oct. I'll let others chime in and share their experiences!

My recommendation is to NOT do it in October if weather is your concern.  We've now tried two years in a row ('18 and '19) and missed Bar Harbor both times.  This time we were also forced to miss St. John.  Bar Harbor wasn't unusual … it gets missed a lot regardless of what month you attempt this itinerary.  Our cruise fell during a Nor'ester and … while the water wasn't rough in our locations, the storm always seemed to be immediately ahead of us.  We were stuck an extra day in Boston … we were supposed to leave in the morning (didn't happen), supposed to leave by noon (didn't happen), and weren't for sure we were actually going to be allowed to leave until a few minutes before we actually pulled out which was sometime around 6 pm.  We were going to be late to St. John … and then the next day right before we were supposed to enter the channel it was cancelled.  Once we got to Halifax everything went smoothly.

I love the itinerary.  Just don't be surprised at surprises.  And if you are going for fall colors … don't be surprised if you are too early or too late.  It is as hard to time as seeing them in the Smokies.

We did this itinerary in early-mid Sept. a few years ago.   Generally too early for much color.  Temps were generally OK for walking around the ports and fairly dry except on our "day at sea" sailing up the St. Lawrence (poor visibility, gloomy).  Needless to say, Boston (our first port) was the warmest--after sightseeing (HOHO), I relaxed on a chaise and enjoyed watching the planes coming in for a landing at Logan (lots of intl. jumbo jets).

2 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

We will be doing this itinerary in October of 2020. What were the colors like this year?

thanx, Jim 😎

The US the colors really hadn't changed yet.  Once you get into Canada you could see that the colors had changed but a lof of trees were damaged by Hurricane Dorian and then by the nor'easter that we came in behind.  Yes, the colors that were there were gorgeous but most of the trees had already had most of their leaves stripped and only a few remained.  But since I'm from Florida, the colors that were there were gorgeous to me.  I'm home now and everything is jungle green.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Is there much opportunity to see Fall colors even if trees have turned ? Specifically can you get to good 'peeper' locations on cruise excursions ?

It depends on your itinerary as some have mentioned. Cruising into Quebec City can give you ample opportunity to view changing colors, even when just cruising along the St. Lawrence River, as colors start changing the more NE you go/peak earlier (I think?). When only taking the 7-day round-trip NY, I think there should be some good opportunities; some that strike me as good places would be Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor) and around Newport, RI -- colors, of course, are always a luck of the draw. I was given this [https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/] to use as a general predictor, but your mileage may vary in any case. 

It’s probably one day later, but we watched Regal Princess sailaway in Newport on October 6th and weather was gorgeous. But you really cannot predict weather in New England.

Forget the weather. Nobody is going to be able to predict it a year or years in advance.  Nor is anybody going to predict it weeks in advance for that matter. The cruise is one of our favorites. We've done three of them to date and will do more, God be willing. 

October in Canada  and New Englad is spectacular.  You don't know what is going to presented. That is an aspect of its beauty. A late wet fall will allow the maples to  get to their magnificent reds and oranges. A dryer fall not as much. In any regard, it will be different than a typical Sacramento fall. 

The Eastern Canadians will be as welcoming as the the Western Canadians. The New England folk will be as welcoming as the Western Americans. Just book it and find yourself longing to spend more time in this part of the Americas after experiencing it.

• Like 1

My brother and his wife sailed on a Royal Caribbean ship from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale last month. They missed Halifax and Bar Harbor due to the remnants of hurricanes. Their cruise started the first weekend in October.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, Tedferg said:

Any input from PAX who took this itinerary ?

Just got back from this itinerary on the Regal a couple of weeks ago.  Had perfect weather up until the last day.  Had to cancel Halifax due to bad weather but very much enjoyed all other ports.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 4:29 PM, snoozecrooze said:

Took this cruise on 9/21 this past year and I, too, wondered about what the weather would be like as a lot of the past contributions on various threads revealed unpredictable weather conditions (from sunny to stormy), with the most common suggestion provided being to bring layers to be adequately prepared for anything. 

But for my cruise, the weather was great!

• New York / embarkation day was sunny and warm
  • Newport was cloudy but not really chilly and the sun did shine through at times
  • Boston was humid and hot but it didn't feel like the sun was necessarily stifling and it did get better later in the day
  • Bar Harbor started out cold and chilly in the early morning and we got warm as we walked through town, but then it rained later in the evening
  • Saint John was also cool and chilly throughout the day but layers and a lot of walking helped 
  • Halifax was amazing; stellar weather

Absolutely did not feel a single wave during the cruising periods either. I know that Tropical Storm Melissa came through the Eastern seaboard while the Regal was on its way back to New York from Halifax in mid-October, however, and here are some examples of what rocky seas can do to a ship of that size:

I'd say for this year that the September season for CA/NE itineraries was not bad/pretty good but it rained a bit more as it got later into the season, especially near the end of Oct. I'll let others chime in and share their experiences!

We were on that sailing as well.  We were so fortunately with the weather . You must have gotten back on ship before the huge storm at Bar Harbor.  We lucked out and got back before the downpour but some people got stuck out there on tenders . We watched them from our Balcony (Lido with a lg overhang) .  A lot of people came back on ship like drowned rats .  We were so happy we decided t come back to ship when we did. Saint John was chilly and even worse up on the platforms of the Zip Line....we FROZE !! Halifax was simply amazing weather.

We liked the itinerary so much, we are booked again or 2021 ! 

Just now, New Cruiser Girl 2 said:

We were on that sailing as well.  We were so fortunately with the weather . You must have gotten back on ship before the huge storm at Bar Harbor.  We lucked out and got back before the downpour but some people got stuck out there on tenders . We watched them from our Balcony (Lido with a lg overhang) .  A lot of people came back on ship like drowned rats .  We were so happy we decided t come back to ship when we did. Saint John was chilly and even worse up on the platforms of the Zip Line....we FROZE !! Halifax was simply amazing weather.

We liked the itinerary so much, we are booked again or 2021 ! 

We definitely got so lucky with the weather; for the most part, it was honestly rather blissful, especially for cruising! Yes, I was on the tenders back over to the ship in Bar Harbor as the sprinkling had started and it had started to downpour after I got back on the ship. It just goes to show that the weather on this itinerary is absolutely unpredictable and the best one can do is to just wear layers and have adequate options packed in one's day bag! So happy to hear you're going back! Happy planning! 🙂

We sailed Oct 6 on Celebrity Summit.  We missed Bar Harbor (tender port) because of high winds.  Instead, we went to Saguenay.  On our way back from Quebec City, Captain announced that a big storm was approaching and we would skip PEI to make sure we were tied up in Halifax before it hit.  We had 2 days in Halifax instead, which we loved.  The Captain made the right decision because the wind was so strong it blew the ship back and forth even when it was tied up.

The leaves had some great gold colors but not much red.  We commented when we came home that we had more red leaves here.

Apologize for posting here on the Princess forum about a Celebrity cruise, but it is about weather!  We are booked on Princess for 2021 so I am starting to read the Princess posts.  It has been 20 years since we cruised with Princess.

Edited by TeaBag