Laundry on a River Cruise?

zdcatc12

This will be my first in December and I was wondering if they put those those bags in the cabin that you fill up with clothes that they launder for a set price? It is normal on a big ship cruise line, but is it common on river cruises? We are on Gate 1 and it is hard to find out much info on them. This will be a Christmas Markets cruise in December, so if I can get by with only half as many clothes because I know I can get them washed, it will sure be nice.

Haven't been on Gate 1 but I can add for others interested in the general topic that Uniworld has free washers and dryers (and they provide the laundry detergent) on their ships.Ā  Plus, IIRC, returning passengers can send out a bag of laundry for free.

Edited by capriccio

11 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

This will be my first in December and I was wondering if they put those those bags in the cabin that you fill up with clothes that they launder for a set price? It is normal on a big ship cruise line, but is it common on river cruises? We are on Gate 1 and it is hard to find out much info on them.

Our Gate 1 river cruise offered laundry service. The fee was per item, not per bag at a set price (although a bag was provided in which to placeĀ your items).Ā If I correctly recall, the cleaning fee for a pair of pants was 6 euros, blouse was 4 euros.

Edited by dogs4fun

10 hours ago, capriccio said:

Haven't been on Gate 1 but I can add for others interested in the general topic that Uniworld has free washers and dryers (and they provide the laundry detergent) on their ships.Ā  Plus, IIRC, returning passengers can send out a bag of laundry for free.

Also, if youā€™re in a suite you get unlimited free laundry done for you.Ā 

14 hours ago, Coral said:

The 2 different river cruises I have been on have had laundry for a price per piece, not per bag.

Ā 

I have not done Gate 1.

I should say Crystal (Mozart) also had laundry machines for people to use, I never used them. Don't know about their other ships. I just sent my laundry off to be done and used OBC to pay for it.

Edited by Coral

@zdcatc12Ā Since you are on Gate 1, and there aren't too many people here who have sailed with them, I suggest that you contact them directly.

Ā 

That said, I have sailed on 3 different river cruise lines (Uniworld, AMA and Avalon) and on none of them did they have a full bag of laundry for a set price, although on my second Uniworld cruise I did get a free bag of laundry..

1 hour ago, bubbulz said:

On our first Uniworld cruise (not in a suite), I did like the fact that we had free use of the laundry facilities.

There were no self serve laundries on my Uniworld ships, maybe because they were not Super Ships.Ā 

37 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

There were no self serve laundries on my Uniworld ships, maybe because they were not Super Ships.Ā 

Our first two Uniworld ships weren't Super Ships (Empress and the Princess) and thank goodness they had laundries.Ā  We were on a 15 day Budapest to Amsterdam cruise in August 2015 (with a ship swap) when the temperatures were in the high 90s for the first 11 days!Ā  I don't remember if the Baroness had one but I don't think she is in the fleet any longer.

Ā 

Added:Ā  I just checked the deck plans for the Empress and the Princess; the laundry is still located on the Moselle (lowest) deck.

Edited by capriccio
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Ā 

All 3 of the Uniworld ships I've sailed on weren't Super Ships, and they all had laundries on the bottom deck.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Maybe I never knew.Ā 

Ā 

That's very possible.Ā  If your cabin wasn't on the lower level, and if you didn't go to the spa or fitness center, you wouldn't know there was a laundry.

9 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I should add that Viking does have a clothesline in the shower, and DW was able to wash quick-drying synthetics some socksĀ and they dried in a day or so.Ā Ā 

We had the same type of clothesline in the shower on our Gate 1 Danube cruise.Ā 

Edited by dogs4fun

Get travel size packets of Tide and Frebreze spray fabric refresher (I bought at Walmart). We hand wash our under garments. The Frebreze works well to freshen up clothes that are not soiled.Ā 

Ā 

There are shirts in travel catalogs that handwash and dry beautifully. Those are worth the investment.Ā 

• Like 1

I wis Viking could find a spot for laundry machines. Ā We spent well over 100$$ for laundry on a two week cruise plus some pre/post days but it was far more convenient than finding a laundromat while on the pre post times and the hotel laundry in Paris was more than the ship. Ā We have some quick dry shirts for hot climates. Ā Bought ex officious menā€™s underwear that really do dry overnight. Ā Need to find quick drying socks. Ā  But what helps the most.....saving old underwear and tossing as we go!šŸ˜€

Edited by deec

54 minutes ago, acwmom said:

The current U ships (formerly the Ambassador and Baroness) did not have laundry facilities. I think those were the only two who didn't.

Robin

I was on the River Queen and the River Countess in 2010 and 2011 respectively, and I don't remember laundry available. I may not have known, but that is something I would have thought that I looked for. I wonder if they retrofit them into a space that was used for something else before? Anyway, both ships have guest laundry now.

9 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I was on the River Queen and the River Countess in 2010 and 2011 respectively, and I don't remember laundry available. I may not have known, but that is something I would have thought that I looked for. I wonder if they retrofit them into a space that was used for something else before? Anyway, both ships have guest laundry now.

I was on the Countess in 2013, a couple of years after you. The laundry room was there at that time. I suppose it could have been added during that 2 year time period. We've since taken advantage of the free bag/passenger.

Robin

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

The current U ships (formerly the Ambassador and Baroness) did not have laundry facilities. I think those were the only two who didn't.

Robin

According to the deck plans on the U by Uniworld website (https://www.ubyuniworld.com/us/ships) both the A and the B (what kind of odd names are those?!) now have guest laundries.