Allure evacuated Coco Cay

BND

Just an FYI, As of about 1/2 hour ago all guests are back onboard Allure.  Winds have reached 55 mph on the island.  At least they have a pier now. That would have been fun in tenders.  This was posted by James Van Fleet on RCI's FB page.

• Like 1

Makes me curious about the logistics of it. I assume they just come around and announce everyone goes back on the ship (if anyone even ventured out in that). Reimburse excursion / rental fees? Pull away from dock once all cleared on board? I'd think open water is easier on the ship.

I'm sure it is all about safety, but just wondering how it went down. In the past I bet Cocoa Cay would have just been skipped due to tendering issues.

12 minutes ago, Doug S said:

Makes me curious about the logistics of it. I assume they just come around and announce everyone goes back on the ship (if anyone even ventured out in that). Reimburse excursion / rental fees? Pull away from dock once all cleared on board? I'd think open water is easier on the ship.

I'm sure it is all about safety, but just wondering how it went down. In the past I bet Cocoa Cay would have just been skipped due to tendering issues.

There are many photos and videos on other sites showing the long line of people headed back to the ship and the really rough seas.  Last I read, they were not able to get off the dock yet because of the weather.  All excursions, cabana rentals, etc are being refunded.  

• Like 1

We are currently are at Coco Cay we have not left yet. We were in the water at Chill Island when lifeguards and other called us out of the water and said The Captain is evacuating the island. By time time we got to the pier the winds picked up immensely. We are still here at Coco Cay Captain stated it is better to stay here tied up than trying to leave, so we have no idea as to when we will leave.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

There are many photos and videos on other sites showing the long line of people headed back to the ship and the really rough seas.  Last I read, they were not able to get off the dock yet because of the weather.  All excursions, cabana rentals, etc are being refunded.  

Ugh, I'd be fustrated if lost the day and also had a long line to get back on if not needing to sail away.  I'd want to wait somewhere under cover for the line to let up before standing in storng winds and maybe rain.  Depending on lines I wonder if they might learn from this and evacuate areas at a time, calling for the next one after lines go down.  Oasis class is so efficient tho, maybe using multiple entrances maybe the lines moved fairly quickly.

6 hours ago, killtheump said:

We are currently are at Coco Cay we have not left yet. We were in the water at Chill Island when lifeguards and other called us out of the water and said The Captain is evacuating the island. By time time we got to the pier the winds picked up immensely. We are still here at Coco Cay Captain stated it is better to stay here tied up than trying to leave, so we have no idea as to when we will leave.

How were the seas after you finally sailed away?  Rough sledding or still managable?

In 2000, we were at the port in Greece that takes you to Olympia, it was a beautiful fall day when we departed the Celebrity Millenium and took the bus to the beautiful ruins of the former Olympic park.  While we were in the museum, a fellow passenger decided to die. I remember looking at this lady in her 60s looking very thin and pale standing by the entrance to the museum, while I was looking at the miniaturized Olympia showing where the different sites were, before hearing a thud.  She collapsed, my wife a RN a doctor, whose 35mm camera was taken to the hospital with the lady when the ambulance showed up 30 minutes after the collapse, and an lady who was an EMT along with the doctor and my wife did CPR on her until the ambulance with no significant medical things arrived.  

This was just the start of the excitement.  The weather was balmy in the upper 70s.  When we took the bus back to the port, after stopping at the hospital for the doctor to recover his camera from the ambulance.  We shopped in the shops at the port for trinkets before boarding the ships boats to head back to the Millenium.  A handful of jet fighters (with Greek insignia) flew past us just a 100 feet above us, then we approached the ship.  While the day was lovely it was a bit churned up on the bay, and we circled the ship 4 or 5 times trying on each pass to land on the lee side of the ship.  Finally the crew driving the ship said, we are going in, no matter what.  The tender smacked hard into something  a deck above the landing platform and put a basketball sized hole in the corner of the top of the tender, but the crew did manage to get us tied along side, where we carefully and slowly exited the tender back onto the ship.  

Then when we got back to our dark lower deck inside cabin, knocked on the door of the cabin where my mother and mother-in-law were sharing a cabin, only to find that despite going to the show the night before after late seating, told the cabin steward to go away when he knocked on their door at noon, they thought it was midnight.  Ah, jet lag.  

JC

We were going to get off the ship, but then we heard the captain announce that the island was being evacuated. They did use 2 doors to get passengers back on. The wind gusts got up to 65 mph while we waited and before we could leave.The winds were around 35 mph when we left.

20191109_123127.jpg

20191109_123552.jpg

20191109_110754.jpg

20191109_161105.jpg

• Like 2

Around 12:45. The guy tried picking up the square metal thing. The wind blew it and it almost tipped the forklift over. That's when he decided to call it quits for a while.

20191109_130852.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL

Around 4:40 - 5:00. Captain announced that the winds had died down to around 35 mph so it was time to get the lines untied. I would not want to have their job. Last photo is of the captain looking very concerned. Ok, probably not since I can't really tell. 

20191109_164712.jpg

20191109_170110.jpg

20191109_170710.jpg

Well so much for forecating weather, they had to know this is what was coming, they should have never stopped there if this was in the forecast.  Someone made a major  error in allowing this to happen. This is what forecasting weather is all about when you allow all those passengers and the ship to be in that kind of danger. Someone had to see this coming much earlier!

I'm sure someone's head will roll on this one. I'm sure we have not heard the last of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

when I fist saw note of this yesterday I pulled up weather radar and the area was clear ... no major stuff showing. But when I looked at the Nassau webcam the wind was ripping thru the moorings there. All the smaller harbor traffic was running for cover.

9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Pretty incredible pics.  Weather can change in an instant. 

1 hour ago, Cel_cruise said:

Thank you for the well annotated photo and video!!  It really gave me better idea of what to expect with such a drastic weather change!!  

I am glad you arenokay and i hope the seas were not that rough the rest of your day!!

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

WOW!!! That was a bit frightening.  😲Glad everyone is safe. Captain  did the right thing.👍

Glad everyone enjoyed the pictures.

• Thanks 2