Yacht Club Changes

sidari

1 minute ago, sidari said:

And still no word or proof of why it was changed! Just supposition on the part of a few people.

I agree that there is no proof that's the reason for the change.

I just can't think of any other reason why beer will still be included but not the snacks. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidari said:

And still no word or proof of why it was changed! Just supposition on the part of a few people.

Isn't much of what is posted on CC, including some of your own postings, supposition? 😉

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Sid

How many times have you sailed in the YC?

H ... What has sailing in the YC got to do with it ?

E.G ... Many things have changed over the years though I do try to keep up with the changes, sometimes info passed to me is not always correct but mostly it is. Also I do not follow every ship built by MSC unless I have an interest in it hence why my next interest is Seashore.

I did once say that we would likely not sail on Meraviglia but we will sail on it at Xmas though I am not a fan of this class of ship.

Edited by sidari

1 hour ago, sidari said:

H ... What has sailing in the YC got to do with it ?

Nothing, I guess...but this is a YC related thread so probably less supposition from those who have sailed in YC....simple really!! 😉

I apologize if I missed something but I'm not sure what perk is being eliminated from YC and when. I checked the list "MSC Yacht Club Privileges" under "Discover MSC" then "MSC Yacht Club". It lists "unlimited drinks in all MSC YC areas including mini bar. That sounds pretty definitive to me

dcl

Edited by Barcelona17

On 11/10/2019 at 9:37 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't give a damn about the alcohol as just about anything one wants to drink is readily available in the Top Sail Lounge, a few feet away.  I am not a happy camper about the snacks, though.  That was something that made Yacht Club special and a better choice than suites on other lines.  So, will take that into account when booking future cruises.  I'm sailing November 30 on Seaside and hope this has not spread to that ship.  Can anyone currently on the Seaside opine on this?

But there are much better "snacks" a few feet away in the Top Sail Lounge, too.  Better than mini pringles can. I'm confused.

15 minutes ago, rose102798 said:

But there are much better "snacks" a few feet away in the Top Sail Lounge, too.  Better than mini pringles can. I'm confused.

Obviously your definition of much better snacks is different from mine.  Which is OK.  Everyone likes different things.  I happen to be fond of Pringles and chocolate-covered peanuts.  Not something I have at home.  So for me, it's a treat.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, sverigecruiser said:

That's how I understand it but am I sure? No.

My guess is that some people just take home the snacks and the small liquor bottles and to avoid that MSC will charge for them. Just a guess.

There are lots of different snacks in the Top Sail Lounge and they will still serve you drinks in your cabin so I can't see why it should be a problem for anyone.

I felt I got what I paid for last April aboard the Seaside, the Yacht Club was a large step above the Haven on that other line, which is a real let down for instance when your SUITE has a deck of 56 sq feet!!!!  The pool was the size of a blow up in your back yard, and the sun area had rooms surrounding it, limiting the Sun!  I'll stay with my upcoming winter cruising aboard the Divina and Seaside and be happy with that choice.😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barcelona17 said:

I apologize if I missed something but I'm not sure what perk is being eliminated from YC and when. I checked the list "MSC Yacht Club Privileges" under "Discover MSC" then "MSC Yacht Club". It lists "unlimited drinks in all MSC YC areas including mini bar. That sounds pretty definitive to me

dcl

Pop up to the first page of the thread.  You don't have to read the whole thread, but reading the first page will fill you in on what they're talking about.

15 hours ago, Barcelona17 said:

dcl

What it says online and in the brochure is not necessarily what is reflected onboard! Plus it is a generic text for all ships unless stated otherwise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Obviously your definition of much better snacks is different from mine.  Which is OK.  Everyone likes different things.  I happen to be fond of Pringles and chocolate-covered peanuts.  Not something I have at home.  So for me, it's a treat.

gotcha!

I want to revisit the original post (OP) regarding the mini-bar.  We are relative newbies on MSC and only have 21 days cruising in the YC (but far more then 1000 days cruising overall).  Offering a mini-bar with unlimited refills is workable unless it is abused by some folks who might plan on filling a suitcase with the contents day after day.  Or course nobody who cruises on MSC would be that "classless" but nevertheless it can create a dilemma for the cruise line.  They could simply increase the cost of the YC by $100 or more per day (to cover the cost of the few abusers), or they could try to impose some kind of restriction to deal with the few classless souls who would abuse a nice benefit.   And it is amazing how many abuse any benefit.   There are some cruisers (we are told many come from one particular country in Europe) who think that because they have an unlimited beverage package it is fine to get every kind of beer on the ship, take one or two sips from each serving, and leave the rest for rubbish.  Believe it, or not, but this happens.  Some other cruise lines have seen fit to deal with this problem by putting a cap on the maximum beverages per day (usually about 15).  We would like to think that the cruisers on MSC would not dream of being purposely wasteful but we are friendly with a MSC beverage manager who has told us that this has been a recurring problem.  

Bottom line is that there is a segment of society that thinks that any privilege/benefit is meant to be abused and it is those folks who ultimately cause everyone else to pay a price be it more money for a benefit or further restrictions on that benefit.

Hank 

• Like 6

Hank ... The mini bar is not a benefit, it is a paid for part of the cruise, ask anyone who upgraded to the old Deluxe package or the new Premium Plus.

MSC did not provide it out of the goodness of their heart!

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Offering a mini-bar with unlimited refills is workable unless it is abused by some folks who might plan on filling a suitcase with the contents day after day. 

MSC does not offer "unlimited refills" to the mini-bar.

In YC, you're guaranteed that it'll be refilled twice a day.  When outside of YC and you have an all-inclusive package that includes the minibar, you're doing very well, indeed, if it's refilled twice a day.  We had an experience once where it wasn't refilled for most of the cruise, despite paying for a package that provided for it being refilled at least once a day.

Edited by Beamafar

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

MSC does not offer "unlimited refills" to the mini-bar.

In YC, you're guaranteed that it'll be refilled twice a day.  When outside of YC and you have an all-inclusive package that includes the minibar, you're doing very well, indeed, if it's refilled twice a day.  We had an experience once where it wasn't refilled for most of the cruise, despite paying for a package that provided for it being refilled at least once a day.

I guess I should have spelled it out better that I am talking about the Yacht Club (the only way we would ever cruise on MSC).  What happens outside the YC stays outside the YC :).  And if you go back to the beginning of this thread it is specifically about the YC and a recent development re their Mini-bars.

Hank

• Like 1