Yacht Club Changes

sidari

15 minutes ago, sidari said:

FB_IMG_1573408151154.jpg

WOW!!  Guess we'll not be entertaining in the cabin!  Our first MSC cruise is on the Divina in YC, it's beginning to look like they're going the way of the other lines from this!  Thanks for posting, there's so much to be gleaned from the experiences of others on Cruise Critic!!

1 hour ago, sidari said:

FB_IMG_1573408151154.jpg

A bit disappointing.... While it is nice to have an array of choices in the room.... We found on our last YC cruise we drank very little in room since the Top Sail lounge and upstairs Pool area was so enjoyable and we spent much time there. We will be in YC on Seaside over Thanksgiving... I'll report back how it's being handled/enforced in the cabin 

Thank you for posting this.  So, this change is only for in-room beverages from room service and/or mini-fridge?  Or does this mean ordering a "to go" drink from the TSL and bringing it back to the cabin?

It's always so frustrating to book believing that what was advertised at the time will be honored and then having it change.  I know T & C say that anything and everything can change, but this will be my first YC cruise and I'm already disappointed.  I'm sure I'll have a great cruise, but what else might change between now and my October, 2020 sail date?

Again, thank you for posting.  It's always better to be an informed consumer!

• Like 3

what!? I'm confused. We will be sailing on the Grandiosa in a few months. This is disappointing.

Does this mean I can't have the butler bring us a glass of wine or cocktail to the room from the yacht club bar?  I thought room service is free for yacht club - including having your butler bring drinks and snacks.

Does this only apply to the little beverages in the minibar?

Edited by floridian1

I find this confusing.  At first I thought it meant the full size bottles, anything other than the first bottle of wine, champagne, etc. was charged.  I didn't even think of the little bottles in the mini bar.  But upon reading it further, it states that "additional wine, spirits or snacks..."   Snacks????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

Trying to get further clarification from someone onboard in the YC.

Thanks so much! Hoping this wont affect room service and the ability to have the butler bring food and drinks. Crossing my fingers this only relates to the minifridge alcohol and snacks - which we could totally live without.

We loved having our butler bring our children a milk shake or cookies at night, or delivery a box of pizza and along with drinks from the bar.

Looks like you choose one of the types of bottled drinks in the list above and that is all you get for the week! Many people don't drink the same so that is going to cause trouble. If you want to replace the empty bottle you have to pay for it, same with the snacks in the mini bar.

• Like 1

In due fairness; and while I understand those whom have already paid for a service they'll not receive right now; I find this move a positive one for both the company, the staff and the cruisers themselves.

on the last 5 years or so, I've seen a similar move on the land based European hotel industry, even the 5 star one, where you actually call and pay for the items you want stocked on the mini fridge. Hope that is the way MSC goes on their global operations both on YC and "steerage" alike.

In 2 different occasions, both on "steerage", I found a product out of its consumption recommended date stated in the bottle. On both cases I needed to just exchange it at the nearest bar. I gave up watching on the mini fridges.

With this measure they will ensure:

Less work for the crew.

A somewhat safer general environment in the cruise by having some more control on the alcohol consumed aboard.

Improve passengers safety by avoiding the persistence of out of date products availability.

Those are my 2 cents.

PS: Oh: And to be humble and honest: To have some nice wines and beers available on the lounge and the restaurants at the base price as well as all the non alcoholic stuff for me is OK; but as a non drinker, I have some difficulty to just subsidize anyone's spirits consumption alike. If MSC is to go on that direction that is good; and they're not the first ones. Viking goes the same way.

Have a nice day!... 🙂

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

Thanks sidari! This won't be a deal breaker for our family. We didn't eat the snacks (those are cheap dollar store snacks really) or take or use those mini bottles of alcohol (prefer to have our drinks made at the bar or brought to us). Infact in our mini bar the pringles were old and 2 of the mini alcohol bottles were open(yikes!). We also just took the champagne bottle home at the end of the cruise. Happy we can still get water soda and beer supply as much as we need though.

Edited by floridian1
spelling errors

On 11/1/2019 at 1:21 PM, AviationInScale said:

Oh I forgot...and this might be insignificant to some- bring slippers if that's your thing. YC no longer gives you a pair, although robes are still available.

54 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

In due fairness; and while I understand those whom have already paid for a service they'll not receive right now; I find this move a positive one for both the company, the staff and the cruisers themselves.

on the last 5 years or so, I've seen a similar move on the land based European hotel industry, even the 5 star one, where you actually call and pay for the items you want stocked on the mini fridge. Hope that is the way MSC goes on their global operations both on YC and "steerage" alike.

In 2 different occasions, both on "steerage", I found a product out of its consumption recommended date stated in the bottle. On both cases I needed to just exchange it at the nearest bar. I gave up watching on the mini fridges.

With this measure they will ensure:

Less work for the crew.

A somewhat safer general environment in the cruise by having some more control on the alcohol consumed aboard.

Improve passengers safety by avoiding the persistence of out of date products availability.

Those are my 2 cents.

PS: Oh: And to be humble and honest: To have some nice wines and beers available on the lounge and the restaurants at the base price as well as all the non alcoholic stuff for me is OK; but as a non drinker, I have some difficulty to just subsidize anyone's spirits consumption alike. If MSC is to go on that direction that is good; and they're not the first ones. Viking goes the same way.

Have a nice day!... 🙂

🤬🤬🤬

6 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

🤬🤬🤬

On 11/1/2019 at 12:45 PM, AviationInScale said:

I may have spoken too soon...just got back to our cabin, and in the passageway was a housekeeper's cart. Attached was a large clear garbage bag full of new slippers lol. I don't know why we didn't get any, or why they seemed prepared for deployment on Day 7, but odds are good you'll get them. 😀

Has the above changed?