Stairs vs Elevators

I use a walker only. Can be a problem with elevators. If elevator is crowded? I will wait for another. When I enter an elevator, I let every one know where I am going, move out of the way letting those who are going to a lower deck stand in front. Yes. I will open doors for others and let  scooters go first. I never have a problem. I just  allow the time to get where I'm going. People wonder why I open doors for them. Simple. They walk faster than I do. I am on a cruise and have the rest of my life getting to where I want to go. LOL

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, 1964pilot said:

We are both in our 70's and faithfully use the stairs.  Hope we are keep it up for a long, long time.

My late father-in-law was still swimming five days a week at the Y when he was 90!

We used to always do the stairs, but sixteen years after a left hip surgery and a soon right hip surgery and bad knees, I can only do two or three floors.

I do appreciate those with assistance (walkers/wheelchairs) speaking up. I promise to help when I can.

4 hours ago, mom says said:

I need to use a cane, so I generally take the elevator. If necessary I can go up a couple of flights, one step at a time, or down a few flights; but it's painful.

That's the situation with my wife and I'm afraid she might have to have an knee replacement. While I suffer (a little) with a sore knee, no cane needed, I have to proceed her just to prevent her from falling IF she ever decided to do stairs. We have had some younger folks 'glare' and some even push past her because of her slowness when entering the elevators but I always tell her. 'Just ignore it, the same people may need a cane (or worse) someday'. I'd take the stairs but I know this would make her feel even more self conscious about this. We always wait for everybody to get off before getting on and stand in the back of the elevator till we reach our desired deck. Its sad but true, getting old is a PAIN, in more ways than one.

Mac 

7 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

That's the situation with my wife and I'm afraid she might have to have an knee replacement. While I suffer (a little) with a sore knee, no cane needed, I have to proceed her just to prevent her from falling IF she ever decided to do stairs. We have had some younger folks 'glare' and some even push past her because of her slowness when entering the elevators but I always tell her. 'Just ignore it, the same people may need a cane (or worse) someday'. I'd take the stairs but I know this would make her feel even more self conscious about this. We always wait for everybody to get off before getting on and stand in the back of the elevator till we reach our desired deck. Its sad but true, getting old is a PAIN, in more ways than one.

Mac 

Getting old is supposed to be the golden years.I retired and moved to a beautiful area.Seven months later I became ill with the first of now 12 medical problems.

23 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

Mac 

Unfortunately it is not just younger folks who glare and push past people who are slower, older folks do it as well.

I wish those that are slower, I'm one of those slower folks now, would not walk two, three or four abreast, so others can not get around them when walking around the ship, during embarking and disembarking, etc.  Some folks like to either walk faster or who have somewhere they want to be.  Before I was one of the slower folks, I walked very fast and would continually be saying "excuse me" when trying to get around slower folks and many times, even after saying it a number of times, it went ignored.  If everyone showed consideration for others, think of how great that would be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

etting old is supposed to be the golden years

LOLLLLLLLLLLL ! I'd heard that all of my young adult life TILL I hit 65 and had repeated it to a friend, who at 63 was suffering from losing his vision eight years ago and now suffering liver failure and he smiled and replied, 'Yea, but I'm beginning to think its just tarnished brass NOT even gold plated and just a lie every generation turns around and tells the one behind them'. I think he has a valid point there.

Mac

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Before I was one of the slower folks, I walked very fast and would continually be saying "excuse me" when trying to get around slower folks and many times, even after saying it a number of times, it went ignored.  If everyone showed consideration for others, think of how great that would be.

I know what you mean, and that is very courteous of you to gently say 'Excuse me' if you're trying to slip by, everyone should do that. My wife feels like a burden when we walk that's why we NEVER walk side by side but with me behind in case she stumbles and I know she can't keep up. She does the best she can not to impede foot traffic at any time.

Mac

• Like 2

Depends on how many flights and who I am with. My mom has trouble with stairs, so more than one floor and we take the elevator (up, she can go down them ok). I can fairly easily talk my husband into stairs for maybe 3 floors. By myself I will take them for 5-6 floors at a time. 

5 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Unfortunately it is not just younger folks who glare and push past people who are slower, older folks do it as well.

I wish those that are slower, I'm one of those slower folks now, would not walk two, three or four abreast, so others can not get around them when walking around the ship, during embarking and disembarking, etc.  Some folks like to either walk faster or who have somewhere they want to be.  Before I was one of the slower folks, I walked very fast and would continually be saying "excuse me" when trying to get around slower folks and many times, even after saying it a number of times, it went ignored.  If everyone showed consideration for others, think of how great that would be.

I agree with both points.

Folks should be patient with those who move slowly for medical reasons.....

AND 

It is a lot easier to be patient if the slower folks go single file leaving a passing lane for those who wish to move quicker.

• Like 1

We use the stairs 99% of the time.  When we took our children on their first cruise last summer we took the glass elevator one time from the top deck down - but that was more for the ride than to actually get somewhere - and then took the stairs back up.  We tried to time it at a less busy time, mid morning or mid afternoon.

Another time on the same cruise my son and I were taking the stairs from somewhere and saw an older gentlemen who was confused about how to find his cabin.  The employee who was cleaning was unable to assist, but my son and I took the elevator with the man to help him find his cabin (he was using a walker so we assumed he would prefer the lift).  Once on his floor and explaining some of the signs the gentleman was then fine.

On our last cruise I took the elevator once during rough seas when bringing a plate of food to the cabin from lido rather than risk spilling.

It does amaze me how some people are in such a hurry to get where they are going on a cruise ship...

It is not like anything it going anywhere........  and the way they push into the elevator

Quite often if the elevators are busy, one will walk up the stairs....but carefully... 

Cheers Don 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

It does amaze me how some people are in such a hurry to get where they are going on a cruise ship...

It is not like anything it going anywhere........  and the way they push into the elevator

Quite often if the elevators are busy, one will walk up the stairs....but carefully... 

Cheers Don 

It seem's now day's many people of a certain generation take a holiday just to say they did and they come back exhausted. 

• Like 1

Have to laugh on a sea day while waiting for a lift (elevator), if one arrives at other end if foyer people run to get that one.  Hey this I be will be here in a few seconds.  Running back and forth in the lift foyer to get the first lift us not a priority for ne,

15 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Hey this I be will be here in a few seconds.  Running back and forth in the lift foyer to get the first lift us not a priority for ne,

This includes the morons who'll walk into the foyer, SEE all the lights and numbers lit up above the elevators showing where that one is and STILL walk over and keep punching the button OVER and OVER 🙄 Sigh, like THAT'S gonna speed up the elevator ! (actually it's usually teenagers BUT I have seen grown ups do it, maybe it's 'human nature?) Whatta ya think ?

Mac

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

This includes the morons who'll walk into the foyer, SEE all the lights and numbers lit up above the elevators showing where that one is and STILL walk over and keep punching the button OVER and OVER 🙄 Sigh, like THAT'S gonna speed up the elevator ! (actually it's usually teenagers BUT I have seen grown ups do it, maybe it's 'human nature?) Whatta ya think ?

Mac

It doesn't call the elevator faster? 

2 minutes ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

It doesn't call the elevator faster? 

You'd have a difficult time convincing SOME of today's teenagers it doesn't. That is, IF theyll stop 'reading' their phones, long enough too listen😃 Just kidding ! HOW did mankind exist before those lite up screens were invented ??

Mac

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmoothFlying said:

You'd have a difficult time convincing SOME of today's teenagers it doesn't. That is, IF theyll stop 'reading' their phones, long enough too listen😃 Just kidding ! HOW did mankind exist before those lite up screens were invented ??

Mac

ya shoulda been here in Cali, when PG&E shut off the power, oh the bewilderment. 

Just now, c-boy said:

ya shoulda been here in Cali, when PG&E shut off the power, oh the bewilderment. 

Bewilderment ? In today's society, NO pone cell service equals = PROTEST AND RIOTS ( I actually saw a man walk into a lamp post WHILE reading his phone !) I was the third person to reach him while others there before me who weren't bothering to help the poor soul, just took videos. Actually, he was embarrassed, and was laughing as he was helped to his feet, he picked up his phone (phone FIRST always !) glasses, rubbed his nose and said, 'Well, I guess that'll teach me a lesson'. I told him not to feel bad, I've heard of people walking off the sidewalk(against the light) INTO on coning traffic. Now that IS  painful lesson !

Mac

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmoothFlying said:

Bewilderment ? In today's society, NO pone cell service equals = PROTEST AND RIOTS ( I actually saw a man walk into a lamp post WHILE reading his phone !) I was the third person to reach him while others there before me who weren't bothering to help the poor soul, just took videos. Actually, he was embarrassed, and was laughing as he was helped to his feet, he picked up his phone (phone FIRST always !) glasses, rubbed his nose and said, 'Well, I guess that'll teach me a lesson'. I told him not to feel bad, I've heard of people walking off the sidewalk(against the light) INTO on coning traffic. Now that IS  painful lesson !

Mac

I had a guy actually walk into my car, which wasn’t moving. I guess I could’ve alerted him, but I really wanted to see how it played out (he was pretty embarrassed).