Sydney hotels\one day sightseeing

JF4300

CC friends need some help with hotel recommendations for 1 day/night precruise (Ovation) in mid January. 

Would like early check in and close for a walkabout as we only have one day

thanks in advance 😉

The two things I did over a weekend in Sydney (there for work) was:

1)  The Maritime Museum.  Some very interesting things.

2)  Take the ferry to Manley Beach.  You see the same things as the harbor tours, but a LOT less money, and you get to go to the beach.  I did it on a Sunday, and LOT of sailboats out and about.

With only one day, a hotel in the circular quay or rocks area would be my preference. We have stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay twice - it is a nice hotel in a great location to do either a walking tour, take a ferry ride, go to the bridge, etc

Holiday Inn Old Sydney..... reasonably priced and superb location in The Rocks district. 10min walk from Circular Quay, the Ferry's (Blue Mtn, Zoo, Manly) and train station (to the airport). Easy walk to beautiful Darling Harbour, The Opera House & Botanical gardens. An even easier walk up to the Sydney Bridge. This photo taken of Radiance from the hotel's rooftop pool deck as it turned the corner in front of the opera house before docking... you just roll your luggage 2 blocks and across the street to the terminal to board the ship.

DSC06788_zpsohrtdjkw.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Holiday Inn Old Sydney..... reasonably priced and superb location in The Rocks district.

Another vote for Holiday Inn Old Sydney. They were very accommodating and granted us a very early check in. After traveling for over 24 hours, it was eagerly welcomed 😁

Opposite the hotel you'll have a very nice eating place, Ribs & Burgers --

https://ribsandburgers.com/au/locations/nsw/the-rocks/?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=gmb&utm_content=The Rocks

15 hours ago, JF4300 said:

CC friends need some help with hotel recommendations for 1 day/night precruise (Ovation) in mid January. 

Would like early check in and close for a walkabout as we only have one day

thanks in advance 😉

We stayed at Tank Stream. Lovely. Walkable to the harbor, Opera House, botanical gardens (free). It was about 3-4 block walk to the pier. NO TAXI FEES! Lots of places to eat but food is kind of pricey- there is a Subway at the harbor. Bottled water was about 8 bucks each. Flight is endless but I would love to go back.

We stayed at the Shanghai La Hotel by the Rocks in 2017 & 2018. Definitely not cheap, but well worth it. The view from higher up floors is fantastic. We stayed on the 24th & 26th floors. In 2018 Meghan and Harry stayed there the same time we were there. View from our room in 2017 when the Radiance came in.

20190729_213643.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We stayed at the Shanghai La Hotel by the Rocks in 2017 & 2018. Definitely not cheap, but well worth it. The view from higher up floors is fantastic. We stayed on the 24th & 26th floors. In 2018 Meghan and Harry stayed there the same time we were there. View from our room in 2017 when the Radiance came in.

20190729_213643.jpg

shangri la is another good one  fabulous view but is up a little hill to walk.

For a cheap alternative to the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb you can can go climb one of the pylons for only $19. See http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/. It also avoids the several hours that the bridge climb takes. The Manly Ferry is great and you can then walk to Manly Beach before catching it back again.

The train to the airport is right next to where you catch the ferry and the Overseas Passenger Terminal where the Ovation docks.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:24 AM, Chiliburn said:

shangri la is another good one  fabulous view but is up a little hill to walk.

It would definitely be a walk I wouldn't want to do with very much luggage. We took Uber from the port to the hotel last time. We were there about 5 days after and walking around was great. The train was also another good transportation as others have said.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:32 PM, kccrzr said:

With only one day, a hotel in the circular quay or rocks area would be my preference. We have stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay twice - it is a nice hotel in a great location to do either a walking tour, take a ferry ride, go to the bridge, etc

Agree, we stayed there on our last trip.  Very short walk from the train station as well which is the cheapest way to get from the airport.  

Any hotel within walking distance from that train station would be my recommendation.  The Grand Hyatt would be my choice if money is no object.

jc

On 11/12/2019 at 11:35 PM, Bailey & Sophie said:

We stayed at Tank Stream. Lovely. Walkable to the harbor, Opera House, botanical gardens (free). It was about 3-4 block walk to the pier. NO TAXI FEES! Lots of places to eat but food is kind of pricey- there is a Subway at the harbor. Bottled water was about 8 bucks each. Flight is endless but I would love to go back.

Yeah for just a day if you are jet lagged, the botanical gardens is well worth a walkabout.  The Giant fruit bats are pretty cool.

jc

On 11/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, kccrzr said:

Agree with this.  The Marriott is quite nice and walking distance to everything.  The Rocks area, the ferries, the Opera House, the Royal Botanical Gardens just to name a few.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:32 PM, kccrzr said:

We stayed here one right pre cruise and it was great. Walking distance to many of the sites. 

We stayed at the Sheraton Grand Hyde Park post cruise for 2 nights and it was very nice also. 

12 hours ago, silentbob007 said:

I saved up some points to stay at Park Hyatt Sydney (squat building tight at base of bridge in ship shots). Beautiful hotel, great service, and an easy walk to the ship.

Yes Park Hyatt is the one.  Just really close to the ship, right before the bridge, lovely location.

jc

On 11/12/2019 at 11:40 PM, tb4 said:

I stay at Four Seasons. Horribly expensive but an awesome hotel right at Circular Quay. Easy walk to ship at Overseas Passenger Terminal and all Sydney attractions.

We also stayed at the Four Seasons. Had an Opera House view and were almost directly across the street from The pier. We sailed on rccl from Seattle to Sydney and then Celebrity around New Zealand. Great trip.