Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

31 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve been on three MedallionClass cruises and have never had the option to select an arrival time. That’s a new option in the updated app but currently none of my 3 future cruises allow me to select a time. My earliest cruise is scheduled for October so that option apparently isn’t available yet.

Under “My Preferences” there’s a “Disembarkation Page” option where there are four options: Express Walkoff, Early, Mid, Late.

3BB74A13-CA67-411E-861F-E739E8695CAA.jpeg

05AEA0FD-1182-4057-9DB5-AE9C90A2FA8A.jpeg

In the past did people just show up when they wanted?

My next 3 cruises, October, December 2021 & February 2022 show no times available for either embarkation or disembarkation. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

25 minutes ago, trbarton said:

My next 3 cruises, October, December 2021 & February 2022 show no times available for either embarkation or disembarkation. 

Tom😀

Many passengers showed up when they wanted because even when boarding times were listed by deck it wasn’t enforced.

None of my future cruises currently have an Arrival Group/Departure Group available & get this statement so it’s either too early to make a selection or maybe that option isn’t active yet.

B6BDE7A9-0249-4E1A-B2A1-6F00C9F28C1E.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Yes. If you arrived early they didn't see any reason to make you wait when there wasn't a bunch of others who were "on time" and trying to board. A couple of times we arrived by 11:30 and were boarded right away. Normally we can't get there that early and board when we can. It's "usually" not a problem although we have seen extremely slow and delayed boarding as well. For instance, if there is a shortage of immigration folks things go really slowly. Many people can't make it to the pier early while others can. Why make those who can arrive early wait for others who can't possibly be there at that time? They tended to board Wedding Parties first but there often aren't any wedding parties. They would usually board the BVE groups (Bon Voyage Experience) groups after that and then start in on the "normal" passengers. I don't believe they do the BVE anymore (unfortunately) and it's anybody's guess how boarding will be handled when cruising resumes.

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

Have been on 4 medallion cruises, three from F.L. and one from Quebec City. In all cases you just showed up as normal. Full suite, elites boarded first and so on, but it went very quickly for everyone. Those that had their medallions were directed to the waiting areas and boarded very quickly once the b2b's cleared, around 11am. Those that did not have their medallions had to make a 5 minute stop to pick up the medallions at the check in desks. After that they just were guided to the waiting areas and very quickly boarded. In F.L. boarding went so fast that cabins were not really ready. They became ready around noon or so.

Now that is how it was. For 2021 and for the foreseeable future I would expect covid protocols would somewhat change the boarding process. As of now there has been no announcements.

The nice thing about having the medallion in hand when u arrive at the port; once you clear port security;  you go thru check in very quick.  Of course no one knows how the new boarding process will be; we will have to wait and see.  Cheers

On 4/30/2021 at 11:30 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I am confused. You actually carry your keys around while on a cruise? We put it all in the safe.

LOL - no, I bought that for an Apple AirTag to put on my dogs collar, I don't have any key's, my house has a lock with a PIN, I only carry my car key fob at home.  On the ship I carry my Medallion and my phone (sometimes). You're right, everything, wallet & all, goes in the safe. I find it amusing to see people with their wallets on the ship, but, to each their own.

Edited by CruiseVA
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

LOL - no, I bought that for an Apple AirTag to put on my dogs collar, I don't have any key's, my house has a lock with a PIN, I only carry my car key fob at home.  On the ship I carry my Medallion and my phone (sometimes). You're right, everything, wallet & all, goes in the safe. I find it amusing to see people with their wallets on the ship, but, to each their own.

My wife says the same about women carrying around there big purses. She brings a clutch bag and it also goes into the safe. When we go on shore. We take a charge card a not much money. Some shops will not let you use a charge card for purchases under $20.00. There are pendants and a pin-on holders for the medallion on ebay. Very inexpensive. A friend got the pin on. The medallion will pop out of it if you just squeeze the two together and the edge of the medallion. Works quite cool.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Namvvet68 said:

On my Ocean Ready Profile it says my arrival status is "Blue Lane    0/4"

with four blank bars under it.  

What does this mean?

You haven't started the process yet. You'll be able to get 3/4 once you've finished the online check-in. The last one is to choose your boarding group (not available yet).

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’m wondering in the leather holder for the Apple Air Tags will hold the medallion?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Tom🤔

Please see post #921 in this thread.

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dides said:

Princess have released their first MedallionClass Monday video with John Padgett talking Ocean Medallion from the Global Experience & Innovation Center in Miami.  Some great innovations to the door portals and a new sustainable wearable. Love the behind the scenes stuff too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS5lfD-zQZM&t=39s

I watched it yesterday. I am hoping that they delve a bit more into how it works. John Padgett made it sound too easy. I am not too concerned as we are not sailing for almost a year out. 

7 hours ago, dides said:

Princess have released their first MedallionClass Monday video with John Padgett talking Ocean Medallion from the Global Experience & Innovation Center in Miami.  Some great innovations to the door portals and a new sustainable wearable. Love the behind the scenes stuff too!

Thanks dides…do you know how we can view future Monday presentations?

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks dides…do you know how we can view future Monday presentations?

The videos are released to the Princess Cruises Youtube account so the usual subscribe/get notifications should work (I say that but it was hard searching for it if you didn't know the title!). I will pop a link in here if future videos get promoted elsewhere.

Edited by dides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dides said:

Interesting video but such a shame they can not get the basics to work, like a remove button for items that are no cost on the medallion order in the medallion app. I now have 8 lanyards!

Also the ship to port selection seems to add a random figure as shipping charge, I had $15 now it is $6!

And finally why not ship to UK addresses if it makes boarding so effortless and contactless?

I have phoned Princess about my issues and they have not been able to help at all.

This is my first time on Princess and so far it is turning into such a fight I think it will probably be my last time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

Interesting video but such a shame they can not get the basics to work, like a remove button for items that are no cost on the medallion order in the medallion app. I now have 8 lanyards!

Also the ship to port selection seems to add a random figure as shipping charge, I had $15 now it is $6!

And finally why not ship to UK addresses if it makes boarding so effortless and contactless?

I have phoned Princess about my issues and they have not been able to help at all.

This is my first time on Princess and so far it is turning into such a fight I think it will probably be my last time. 

I believe there will be a new version released once they have fixed the glitches that have been reported. Hey, we were on the first Ocean Medallion launch cruise on Regal in 2017 and we asked about shipping to the UK then so it's not going to happen overnight. Ocean Medallion has taken a while to get settled in but it worked like a dream on our last Princess cruise on Sky Princess in October 2019. We must have ordered over 40 drinks to be delivered to different areas of the ship! 🙂 Felt it was worth the wait 

Edited by dides

2 hours ago, dides said:

I believe there will be a new version released once they have fixed the glitches that have been reported. Hey, we were on the first Ocean Medallion launch cruise on Regal in 2017 and we asked about shipping to the UK then so it's not going to happen overnight. Ocean Medallion has taken a while to get settled in but it worked like a dream on our last Princess cruise on Sky Princess in October 2019. We must have ordered over 40 drinks to be delivered to different areas of the ship! 🙂 Felt it was worth the wait 

I'm sorry but shipping to the UK can happen overnight, both literally and figuratively.

Given that the drive to roll out Medallion to all ships is the contactless side of things because of Covid and they have managed to install all this equipment onto how many ships? 7 or more! Yet a team can't find a shipping company to ship from I believe Singapore to the UK but they can ship to the USA!

As for glitches, there should be a team to test the software not the general public!

Edited by MX-Drew

21 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I'm sorry but shipping to the UK can happen overnight, both literally and figuratively.

Given that the drive to roll out Medallion to all ships is the contactless side of things because of Covid and they have managed to install all this equipment onto how many ships? 7 or more! Yet a team can't find a shipping company to ship from I believe Singapore to the UK but they can ship to the USA!

As for glitches, there should be a team to test the software not the general public!

The UK is a smaller market for Princess - they haven't even rolled out delivery in Canada. So just being realistic.

Edited by dides

1 hour ago, dides said:

The UK is a smaller market for Princess - they haven't even rolled out delivery in Canada. So just being realistic.

My point is, given the current situation with Covid and the priority given to contactless payment etc (in the UK at least) you would think it would be even easier to ship out such a small number (by your terms) of Medallions to UK guests so we can all board contactless.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, trbarton said:

I’m wondering in the leather holder for the Apple Air Tags will hold the medallion?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Tom🤔

It does, I got one last week & posted a photo here of a Medallion in it. Not Apple's - it was a leather keychain holder, it fit perfectly.