I drink, wife doesn’t, so what should we do?

LongHill44

Was on a cruise last week, guy we were sitting next to by the pool who had a drink package was ordering one at least every 15 minutes and handing them out to his buddies and bragging about it. I observed the staff, just kept bringing him the drinks. Older guy, big, loud and intimidating type and I think the young staff just didn’t want to get involved, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, AlexisV said:

I'm sorry - but this is simply not true.  There are only certain exception made with this policy.  The listed reasons are correct, however, that doesn't mean an agent will not make mistakes and make exceptions that shouldn't be accommodated - but the policy is clear. 

It is true, I didn't it this year and three times last year. I called and said he doesn't drink enough  each time and was able to get him the refreshment package and myself the drink package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

The number of ports and the number of drinks you plan to consume in port enters into this calculation. 

True point....I noticed my drinking on ship was greatly curtailed on Port days...so unless OP plans on drinking heavily in the evening on those days....he should take this into consideration

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

The number of ports and the number of drinks you plan to consume in port enters into this calculation. 

True point....I noticed my drinking on ship was greatly curtailed on Port days...so unless OP plans on drinking heavily in the evening on those days....he should take this into consideration

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

But, if she is ordering a drink by the pool, and at dinner, and paying for those, won’t they switch her to the drink package?  I thought I read that was someone’s experience. 

I had the refreshment package and DW had the deluxe. I ordered a cocktail or two in the evening and was never asked to upgrade to deluxe package. There was a $31 a day difference between the deluxe and the refreshment package at the time that I purchased the two. If there was less of a difference I would have purchased the deluxe package for my self. I only paid $18 for the refreshment package on Black Friday.

46 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

Was on a cruise last week, guy we were sitting next to by the pool who had a drink package was ordering one at least every 15 minutes and handing them out to his buddies and bragging about it. I observed the staff, just kept bringing him the drinks. Older guy, big, loud and intimidating type and I think the young staff just didn’t want to get involved, just my opinion.

Why tell us now we can't do anything. ? You could of told bar manager,  Officer, GS, F&B or Security. That would of wiped the smile off his dial :classic_huh:

Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

The notion that a server is going to be intimidated by anyone is suspect.  Every week for seven or eight months they see it all.  Despite how "smart" drunk people are the crew see it all. 

After crew come back from vacation for the next contract they see it all again.  Every conceivable attempt to beat the system is well known.  No guest can't possibly be more intimidating by their presence than the threat of losing their job.  It's a delicate balance.    

The only question in any wait staff member's mind is more likely do I report this jackwad or smile and keep going hoping he might actually tip me one time?

Edited by twangster

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:

It is true, I didn't it this year and three times last year. I called and said he doesn't drink enough  each time and was able to get him the refreshment package and myself the drink package. 

That is great that you have been successful finding agents who are willing to make exceptions for non approved reasons. I hope you continue to have that success. That doesn't mean it's the policy.  I am simply speaking to the policy and what it states. Not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of that so it shouldn't be set as an expectation. 

43 minutes ago, AlexisV said:

That is great that you have been successful finding agents who are willing to make exceptions for non approved reasons. I hope you continue to have that success. That doesn't mean it's the policy.  I am simply speaking to the policy and what it states. Not everyone is going to be able to take advantage of that so it shouldn't be set as an expectation. 

There have been many, many, post on here of people calling RCI and being able to purchase the deluxe drink package for just one person if the other person purchases the refreshment package.

While it may not be written policy it seems to be the current policy. It doesn't seem to be a matter of finding an agent that will do that for you. Seems almost all agent will do it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

There have been many, many, post on here of people calling RCI and being able to purchase the deluxe drink package for just one person if the other person purchases the refreshment package.

While it may not be written policy it seems to be the current policy. It doesn't seem to be a matter of finding an agent that will do that for you. Seems almost all agent will do it.

Many many many many many many many many many posts.  🙂 

1 hour ago, AlexisV said:

You sound upset, were you told no? 

As others have said, there are many, many posts to the contrary of what you said. It may not be the written policy but it's is defiantly the practice. 

My God... LOL 

Can either of you help me understand why our statements are mutually exclusive?!?!  🤔  I'm not sure why my saying that it's not something everyone should expect, in any way, suggests that people don't get exceptions often.  I personally don't care.  I don't typically buy the beverage packages...LOL 

Wow - I would not be happy if Royal charged the drink package to my account without my permission just because I ordered (AND PAID) for a couple of drinks!  I would think there would be a 78 page post somewhere on that, if it actually happened.

We are on a 5-night over Christmas with 2 ports.  For me, I don't think the drink package will be worth it.  I'm not a 5-8 drinks/day vacationer and I don't do smoothies or juices.  Also more likely to drink a light beer vs. cocktails or frozen drinks of the day (can't do all that sugar).

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

Wow - I would not be happy if Royal charged the drink package to my account without my permission just because I ordered (AND PAID) for a couple of drinks!  I would think there would be a 78 page post somewhere on that, if it actually happened.

I agree and furthermore how do they know who you are buying the drink for. If you travel with family you could be buying it for someone in your party.  

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

As others have pointed out, you should buy the deluxe drink package and your wife should get the refreshment package. You need to call as the website will not allow it.

There is a miscue chance that your wife's refreshment package will be upgraded to the deluxe beverage package should she order an alcoholic drink, based on one person's experience. One person!   So be prepared but even at 12+ plus drinks a day - not to mention bottled water, specialty coffee, smoothies, etc - you'll still come out ahead. And more importantly, you can still have whatever you want, whenever your want.

Yes, it's based on one person's experience, but consider the sample size. First, there are probably a limited number of people who even do this in the first place and most of them do it for the stated reason- one of them doesn't drink at all because of one of the excepted reasons. Second, of that group how many are active posters on Cruise Critic? I think it would be a fairly easy matter for this to be picked up on onboard and the change made. On our cruise before our Anthem cruise DW and I didn't skimp when it came to drinks, if we wanted something we ordered it. Total bar bill was $700. For Anthem we bought the drink package for $750. The only real advantage for us was that we were able to try drinks we'd always thought of trying but didn't want to pay for and now we have several new favorites. 

7 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Why tell us now we can't do anything. ? You could of told bar manager,  Officer, GS, F&B or Security. That would of wiped the smile off his dial :classic_huh:

Just my opinion. 

I wouldn't have said anything because it's not my job to enforce the cruise line's policy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, it's based on one person's experience, but consider the sample size. First, there are probably a limited number of people who even do this in the first place and most of them do it for the stated reason- one of them doesn't drink at all because of one of the excepted reasons. Second, of that group how many are active posters on Cruise Critic? I think it would be a fairly easy matter for this to be picked up on onboard and the change made. 

To add, I don't think this is public knowledge that you can order one of each package. The only reason I knew was because of Cruise Critic. Most would just buy two of the same packages without thinking about it.

6 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Many many many many many many many many many posts.  🙂 

And... I don't think I have heard of anyone being denied the request.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

So you really have no experience with the situation where others have

Don't make assumptions about me just because I don't personally buy it for myself.  I have just as much experience with them, if not more, than all of you.  Stop being a bunch of jerks just because I'm encouraging everyone not to expect it. What is the damn problem with erring on the side of caution and setting realistic expectations?

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:
14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

As others have pointed out, you should buy the deluxe drink package and your wife should get the refreshment package. You need to call as the website will not allow it.

There is a miscue chance that your wife's refreshment package will be upgraded to the deluxe beverage package should she order an alcoholic drink, based on one person's experience. One person!   So be prepared but even at 12+ plus drinks a day - not to mention bottled water, specialty coffee, smoothies, etc - you'll still come out ahead. And more importantly, you can still have whatever you want, whenever your want.

Yes, it's based on one person's experience, but consider the sample size. First, there are probably a limited number of people who even do this in the first place and most of them do it for the stated reason- one of them doesn't drink at all because of one of the excepted reasons. Second, of that group how many are active posters on Cruise Critic? I think it would be a fairly easy matter for this to be picked up on onboard and the change made.

I think we are in agreement. lol. The sample size - as Merion Mom point out - is that there are many, many.....many posts where people get both packages and there has only been on negative experience reported. I have no reason to believe that one experience is not true so I  just wanted to warn the OP that there is a minuscule  (not miscue - typo) chance that might happen to them as well.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

On our cruise before our Anthem cruise DW and I didn't skimp when it came to drinks, if we wanted something we ordered it. Total bar bill was $700. For Anthem we bought the drink package for $750. The only real advantage for us was that we were able to try drinks we'd always thought of trying but didn't want to pay for and now we have several new favorites. 

My experience as well. I'm usually $30-$40 on either side of o the breakeven point but its really more for the convenience  of getting what I want, when I want and where I want. Plus the ability to try new $13+ drinks and if I don't like it, I won't feel bad about "wasting" $13.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Most likely the big, loud guy probably gave the wait staff a big tip in advance to "keep them coming". Works in most bars on and off ships.  The man was playing with fire as the consequences can be quite severe - loss of package with no refund, paying for all previous drinks, being ridiculed on CC, etc.

31 minutes ago, AlexisV said:

Don't make assumptions about me just because I don't personally buy it for myself.  I have just as much experience with them, if not more, than all of you.  Stop being a bunch of jerks just because I'm encouraging everyone not to expect it. What is the damn problem with erring on the side of caution and setting realistic expectations?

There is no problem, You are correct in your warning that there is a chance an unpublished policy may not always be followed. Even if it's followed 99.98% of the time, there is a .02% chance someone might be rejected.

Your warning came through loud and clear all 4 times you posted it and is much appreciated. A 5th post might come across as argumentative that'll invite some blow back.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Most likely the big, loud guy probably gave the wait staff a big tip in advance to "keep them coming". Works in most bars on and off ships.  The man was playing with fire as the consequences can be quite severe - loss of package with no refund, paying for all previous drinks, being ridiculed on CC, etc.

Well, we can certainly take care of the last part. 😀

• Haha 1

Wait, you can't just buy one of each package because it's your preference?  Have to say non drinker?  I didn't know that and was advising friends the one that doesn't want a package (b/c has D perks and bringing wine on) and the other one doesn't have D perks and would like the package that they could do the drink package and refreshment combo.  

OK, I see, it's likely not a problem.

Edited by CP3o