Are platinum members always allowed in elite lounge?

JJean

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Bleh... That is one that never has tempted us. Something about raw ground beef with rag egg yolk just doesn't sound appealing. I've never seen the Princess presentation of Steak Tartare but have seen "classic" presentations and wasn't tempted.

Does anybody have a picture of the Steak Tartare as presented on Princess ships? I am curious as to what they are actually offering.

My cellphone photography does not do it justice, Thrak, but at the Chef's Table on the Royal Princess, the Chef prepared Beef Tartare as one of the apps that were served in the galley.

IMG_5005.jpg.fa2612f71944764646d61be889478d6b.jpg

This is the Maitre d' with the platter of the plated Beef Tartare.  Again, blame my poor photography, but the things that look like pink turds are the Beef Tartare.

IMG_5015.jpg.3ff16f18389876e9376d515208477224.jpg

And, I guess I have to agree with you, in that from appearances, you would only eat it if you wanted it.

😉

They do offer a Beef Tartare starter in Crown Grill, although, it appears that they put a light sear on it.  I order it regularly, and I enjoy it.  There was a guy here on Cruise Critic a few months ago who was absolutely apoplectic because they COOKED THE BEEF TARTARE.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:15 PM, dockhl said:

We are on the Sky....if you look at our “invitation”, which is really just a listing of what goodie is served every night, there is no mention of Platinum ON THE INTERIOR. However, if you look at the outside cover it says,” a special invitation for our elite, suite and platinum guests”. Look at the front cover.....I’ll bet it says the same. 

On 11/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, XBGuy said:

We have seen the invitation to the nightly PES reception, but have never been interested.  We prefer to make a run to the buffet or to the International Cafe for a nosh and enjoy it with a glass (or two or three) of wine on our balcony in the late afternoon.  Heck, we've even dug deep once or twice and ordered a vegie plate from Room Service.

To my way of thinking, this PES reception is a money maker for Princess.  I do not understand the logic of those who want to call its rumored elimination a cost cutting measure.

They are not giving away free alcohol.  My understanding is that they offer a discount on a few cocktails every evening.  I am absolutely positive that, even at a discounted price, Princess is not losing money on them.  I have seen numerous complaints from posters here on Cruise Critic that they are not interested in the discounted cocktails, and, so, they order their preferred drink and pay the nondiscounted price for them.

The noshes that they are offering are not particularly expensive at all.  Look at the menu that in post #43 of this thread,  Chips and Salsa?  Chips and salsa are available in the buffet every afternoon to every passenger on the ship.  Lox with Onions?  Available every morning in the buffet.  Sushi?  Available in Vines on most of the ships at no cost to passengers who order a glass of wine.  

I'm pretty sure that the PES reception is a profitable offering for Princess.

Looks like a couple of our posts got censured.  I agree with you in any case.  

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, junglejane said:

Last month on the Royal it was open to all three categories.  Actually, what struck me was the total absence of any effort to check who was entering.   Anyone could walk in and sit down.  If an "ineligible passenger" tried to order drinks, perhaps they would have been refused service and ejected, but I doubt it.  

We noticed the same thing.  Never saw anyone checking at the door.  

On November 22, 2019 at 7:58 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

Do you have photos of the paperwork advertisement for this?

The menu provided in the cabin?

This is being blown way out of proportion.

It says "Exclusive Elite Lounge" but the word "Elite" does not stand for the level.

F782BA57-C2C9-42A2-8CAE-F961522D4719.jpeg

8518C3E2-019E-41E7-ABAB-B40E7E29BF4B.jpeg

4D4C2FCF-570C-4637-AEC9-B0E60214E4E8.jpeg

Thanks, Colo Cruiser.  This totally clarifies this subject.  I am looking forward to the herb marinated goat cheese.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

Just got off of Emerald very recently. Ordered the Mayan Mule. Not bad. Had another one a different day. Not at all the same drink and not good. What the heck? Very sloppy and poor bartending going on. Glad the next 3 we have booked include the beverage package. I prefer just having either a Chairman of the Board or a 24k Gold Margarita. The "new" drinks just aren't that good and obviously not consistently mixed.

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Just got off of Emerald very recently. Ordered the Mayan Mule. Not bad. Had another one a different day. Not at all the same drink and not good. What the heck? Very sloppy and poor bartending going on. Glad the next 3 we have booked include the beverage package. I prefer just having either a Chairman of the Board or a 24k Gold Margarita. The "new" drinks just aren't that good and obviously not consistently mixed.

That is really disappointing.  Good quality bar tenders are important.  I hope it was just a bad experience (new crew turnover?) and that your next cruise is better.  We are cruising in a few weeks, not on our usual ship, so we will have a new set of bartenders to meet and find our favorite.  I'm a little worried....

On 11/22/2019 at 1:47 AM, Daniel A said:

I have a 28 day cruise booked on the Star.  We are Platinum Level.  If Star is denying entry to platinum members in the PES lounge, then I will likely cancel the booking and look for a similar itinerary on another line.  I would encourage other platinum members to stop sailing on the Star or any other ship that is taking our lounge away.  After all, it is a loyalty program and loyalty is a two way street.  What satxdiver is reporting is clearly disloyalty to platinum members.

We have been on a number of princess cruises while we were platinum we never got rejected going for the drinks etc for loyalty members.

When my mom has cruised in my room, we go the the PES lounge, she was blue the first time she joined me.  She bought her own drinks, with her blue card, and they never said she couldn't be there. we didn't show our cards to gain admission either. My kids also join us there when we cruise as a family.  They are 16 and 11.  They eat the snacks, we purchase drinks, sometimes. We always go on beef tartare night, other nights are hit and miss for us 

• Like 1

When we were on the Majestic over Christmas and New Year 18/19 (25 nights) we occasionally went to the PES lounge and most times it was nearly empty!

On the second of the B2B there were so many Platinum Elite passengers there were two Captain Circle Evenings on the last formal night as there were so many!  (we didn't bother attending as the queue to get in both 'sessions' were excessive - we don't cruise to queue...)  You wouldn't have guessed it from the numbers in the PES lounge.  Lounge time was 5-7 which clashed with early dining.    Princess really need to address the perk as it is clearly not working downunder at least.

2 minutes ago, MargoK said:

When we were on the Majestic over Christmas and New Year 18/19 (25 nights) we occasionally went to the PES lounge and most times it was nearly empty!

On the second of the B2B there were so many Platinum Elite passengers there were two Captain Circle Evenings on the last formal night as there were so many!  (we didn't bother attending as the queue to get in both 'sessions' were excessive - we don't cruise to queue...)  You wouldn't have guessed it from the numbers in the PES lounge.  Lounge time was 5-7 which clashed with early dining.    Princess really need to address the perk as it is clearly not working downunder at least.

They appear to have started changing the PSE lounge time to 4:30 to 6:30. 

On 11/20/2019 at 1:43 PM, JJean said:

We have always been welcomed in the lounge before dinner.  We are going on a cruise with a lot of sea days and hopefully this hasn’t changed.  I read a comment recently that a ship was only allowing elites.

Not true. We won't be elite until our cruise next week and have always gone to the EPS lounge. Got off of the Emerald TA on Monday where there were 1190 elites! The most crowded I've ever seen that lounge! Enjoy!

We prefer the Concierge Lounge on Royal Caribbean ships where one can actually get free alcoholic beverages as opposed to Princess' Elite Lounge as on Princess we still have to pay for drinks.    That is really quite an advantage RCCL has over Princess.  We like Princess and will continue to sail on the large ships and the newest ones including Sky, Enchanted and Discovery (but we really do enjoy our free beverages (3 per person per day between 4:30 pm and 8 pm -hours ship dependent) on the RCCL ships. 

On 11/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, JJean said:

We have always been welcomed in the lounge before dinner.  We are going on a cruise with a lot of sea days and hopefully this hasn’t changed.  I read a comment recently that a ship was only allowing elites.

Platinum, Elite and Suite guests on Grand.

Only around 8 cocktails available at $6.99 all other drinks at regular bar prices.