Screening?

bubbie74

I know when boarding during embarkation and at ports, passengers go through a detector similar to airports. Does that take a picture of your body like the special macihines at airports or are they specifically picking up metal? I have a foot and shoulder full of plates and screws. Wonder if it will set it off. Typically doesn't at the airport.

On our last cruise in June on the Miracle and  I have a back simulator implanted, I didnt have any issues with the security on the ship.  I did have problems with security going through the airport ones.  They had to wand me and checked my luggage for who knows what.  But after about 10 mins they let me through. I even have a card I carry to tell them I have the Simulator.  

9 minutes ago, Daliaha said:

On our last cruise in June on the Miracle and  I have a back simulator implanted, I didnt have any issues with the security on the ship.  I did have problems with security going through the airport ones. 

It seems the airport detectors are more sensitive then the ones on ships . Perhaps they are set to be so .

• Like 2

My right leg from the knee down is full of titanium.  I have never set off the alarms at an airport or a cruise port.  If you have metal you might have an issue (my BIL did, he had 2 knee replacements and one was metal not titanium).  He set off the alarm at the port of Galveston.  They wanded him and asked him some questions (and the scars were extremely visible) and then they let him go on.

I have 2 tiny screws in each heel from previous achilles tendon surgery. Never had them trigger an alarm in any airport or cruiseship security, til I flew through FLL... they made me take off my shoes (even though I'm TSA-prechecked) and still the alarm went off! They asked me if I had any metal in my ankles and I said yes so they wanded me and let me go, but it was truly weird! I've flown and sailed a ton of times since those surgeries, never had them trigger a security alert before!

Titanium parts usually do not trigger the metal detectors that are used on a ship.  The ship machines are totally different than the airport TSA body scanners which indicate where any metal parts may be.

Cobalt and chromium parts may or may not set off the ship's metal detector depending upon the sensitivity level it is set at......sometimes my hip implant sets off an alarm, sometimes not.  If it does, I don't mind the additional wanding or pat down, I take it as part of living in a post 9/11 world.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Titanium parts usually do not trigger the metal detectors that are used on a ship.  The ship machines are totally different than the airport TSA body scanners which indicate where any metal parts may be.

Cobalt and chromium parts may or may not set off the ship's metal detector depending upon the sensitivity level it is set at......sometimes my hip implant sets off an alarm, sometimes not.  If it does, I don't mind the additional wanding or pat down, I take it as part of living in a post 9/11 world.

The body scanners do not show anything INSIDE the body, only outside.

53 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

If they are titanium they won't set off the alarms. I have a titanium plate and screws in my neck - no problem.

Um, yes they will, if they are big enough, or if the detector is set to a higher sensitivity. My knee replacement sets off both the airport ones and, usually those on the ship. My husband's implants are tiny, and don't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wheezedr said:

Loved it when a TSA agent berated me for not removing my “necklace” that they saw on the body scanner.  It of course was a pacer wire well under the skin.

Well that's intrusive!

Anything for safety.

I never even think to take my necklace  or earrings off

So many things you have to take off or out of your bags 

My knee  triggers the machine but DH plate/screws in his ankle never trigger it 🙄

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

They may not “show” things inside the body, but they surely do indicate the presence of metal things INSIDE the body

The body scanners?  How do they do that?  They do not show the metal in MY body.

The ones with the clear tube, where the wipes moves, use low power microwave.   They are designed to NOT penetrate the skin.

The ones with the two boxes (I haven't seen them in the US for a number of years), use low powered X-rays, that again, bounce off the skin.  No penetration.

The arch you walk through, it is metal detector and will indicate certain metals inside the body.

52 minutes ago, SRF said:

The body scanners?  How do they do that?  They do not show the metal in MY body.

The arch you walk through, it is metal detector and will indicate certain metals inside the body.

This arch, OBVIOUSLY, is the type of scanner a number of posters have been referring to as being capable of detecting metal inside the body.

20 hours ago, SRF said:

The body scanners do not show anything INSIDE the body, only outside.

There is an outline of a "body" on the outside exit of the body scanner that will indicate by a red "X" or similiar the approximate location of internal or external metal that the machine can detect.  

In my case, I've seen the red "X" on my right hip, where my cobalt and chromium hip implant is located. That's where I usually get a pat down from the officer on duty.  I haven't seen an "X" or other indicator in the middle of my back or torso where I have 3"titanium screws and even longer rods scaffolding my spinal column, and I don't get that area wanded or patted down.

Just my experience (and I fly often).  YMMV.

Edited by evandbob