Club Orange Cost Update

Crew News

31 minutes ago, disudds said:

We were offered and accepted $15/day for 16 days on the Westerdam. The priority access and expanded breakfast menu were the kickers for us.  We didn't upgrade our cabin because we like our current location so the "upgrade" really wasn't.  I asked if there was something they could do instead, but the answer was "no". Still, we are hopeful we will find it a good value at the end of the cruise.

Not surprised that they did not offer you something for not upgrading, as you turned it down.  Second, HAL's ranking of cabins are somewhat arbitrary IMO within a category.  A few years back for example they switched the SY and SS cabin rankings on a number of ships.  I have often found what I consdier to be a better located cabin ranked lower than what HAL's ranking implies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Not surprised that they did not offer you something for not upgrading, as you turned it down.  Second, HAL's ranking of cabins are somewhat arbitrary IMO within a category.  A few years back for example they switched the SY and SS cabin rankings on a number of ships.  I have often found what I consdier to be a better located cabin ranked lower than what HAL's ranking implies.

Yes, I didn't really expect anything, but I didn't think it hurt to ask.  I agree that the "level" of the cabin is really in the eye of the beholder.  Having a cabin mid-ship is not necessarily an advantage, I've found.  

On 12/18/2019 at 4:00 PM, DaveOKC said:

Just back from cruise on the N.A. in a Neptune.  Club Orange - had to ask for the White menu and most days the entree was not to my liking, but I did get the Veal Chop one day and it was very good (and large).  Only difference in menus was the one extra entree - no extra apps or deserts.

Had breakfast in the Pinnacle each day, so cannot comment on breakfast for Club Orange.  There was a separate line at the front desk for CLub Orange, but never saw anyone use it.

One real NICE thing was the Club Orange bag we got - much nicer than the standard ones we are getting now being Neptunes - my DW really likes it!

Hmmm.  So if you took a 20 day cruise, paid $25 per person/day, then you could say that the Club Orange bag only cost you $1000 :).  We find the idea not to our liking and would not give it a moment's consideration under the current program.  Why?  We are 5* so do get some of those perks now.  As to dining, we prefer open dining and usually do not dine until after 7:30 when there is no wait in the MDR.  In the MDR we can usually share a large table (normally our choice) without much difficulty.  As to breakfast, I would like that option but DW dislikes going to any dining room for breakfast.

What would get our interest is if they truly upgraded the quality/quantity in the dining room and had a unique upscale menu.  Paying up to $50 a day (per couple) for basically the same MDR menu does not excite us.  In fact, we could dine in the Pinnacle every night for less money.

And there is one big negative to Club Orange.  When it come to "priority" it simply waters down the benefits obtained by 4-5* Mariners.  Simply consider that if everyone gets priority then nobody gets priority.   We have already embarked on 2 HAL cruises where we skipped the Priority Line (we are 5*) to jump into the much shorter regular line (and we were checked-in much faster and on the ship while those in the priority line cooled their heels).

Hank

• Like 1

This whole Club Orange thing seems silly to me. We sailed HAL for the first time this past November and booked a suite. We were told to go to the Club Orange host in the MDR for seating. (advantage for suites or Club Orange is less or no waiting and the extra entree referred to in an earlier post). That was nice. 

Here is where it gets a little bit silly in my opinion. We like to eat at shared tables -great way to meet people, etc. In the same dining room at the same table you will have us with the "white menu covers including the extra entree" and likely the rest of the table with regular menus. Seems a bit classless. 

If anything, Club Orange detracts from the value of booking a suite as Club Orange upgrade people can also eat breakfast at Pinnacle which is a huge plus-excellent breakfasts. Suites holders pay a lot more to do the same thing. 

Cruising HAL again next month-will try and be more observant of the whole Club Orange thing. 

11 minutes ago, molemaui said:

This whole Club Orange thing seems silly to me. We sailed HAL for the first time this past November and booked a suite. We were told to go to the Club Orange host in the MDR for seating. (advantage for suites or Club Orange is less or no waiting and the extra entree referred to in an earlier post). That was nice. 

Here is where it gets a little bit silly in my opinion. We like to eat at shared tables -great way to meet people, etc. In the same dining room at the same table you will have us with the "white menu covers including the extra entree" and likely the rest of the table with regular menus. Seems a bit classless. 

If anything, Club Orange detracts from the value of booking a suite as Club Orange upgrade people can also eat breakfast at Pinnacle which is a huge plus-excellent breakfasts. Suites holders pay a lot more to do the same thing. 

Cruising HAL again next month-will try and be more observant of the whole Club Orange thing. 

You got CO because you were in a Neptune Suite. People who buy into CO do not get breakfast in the Pinnacle. Only Neptune and Pinnacle suites get the Pinnacle Grill breakfast. 

I agree that having two different menus at the table could be awkward.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Maybe not.  Our next cruise we will be in a Signature Suite while the other couples in our group will be in Neptunes.  Won't bother us if they have different menus from ours  in the MDR.  They paid for it with their Neptune fares.  

With all the OBCs we have on this cruise, I told hubby we might be eating at Pinnacle Grill every night, anyway. 😉

Edited by Walfam

1 hour ago, Walfam said:

Maybe not.  Our next cruise we will be in a Signature Suite while the other couples in our group will be in Neptunes.  Won't bother us if they have different menus from ours  in the MDR.  They paid for it with their Neptune fares.  

With all the OBCs we have on this cruise, I told hubby we might be eating at Pinnacle Grill every night, anyway. 😉

But that's a group of people who know going in who gets what. I wouldn't care if someone at my table got the CO menu and I didn't have CO. But some people might be bothered by it. 

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

You got CO because you were in a Neptune Suite. People who buy into CO do not get breakfast in the Pinnacle. Only Neptune and Pinnacle suites get the Pinnacle Grill breakfast. 

There were some Orange Club people at Pinnacle who were not in suites. Did not know they weren't supposed to be there. In fact, we were never asked for our cabin # either. 

2 minutes ago, molemaui said:

There were some Orange Club people at Pinnacle who were not in suites. Did not know they weren't supposed to be there. In fact, we were never asked for our cabin # either. 

Both of those statements surprise me. Other posters have been told onboard that the Pinnacle Grill breakfast is only for the suites. And I have been asked for my cabin number on the first morning every time. Maybe the second morning, too, and after that they know everyone.

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Both of those statements surprise me. Other posters have been told onboard that the Pinnacle Grill breakfast is only for the suites. And I have been asked for my cabin number on the first morning every time. Maybe the second morning, too, and after that they know everyone.

That was my understanding as well. As a first time HAL cruiser, I just enjoyed the perks that came with my booking but was observant what was around me! I only had to show my cabin key to the waiter because he needed it to get my Diet Coke! Doing a HAL/Celebrity B2B next month. I'll be super observant at breakfast!

Edited by molemaui

56 minutes ago, molemaui said:

47 minutes ago, molemaui said:

That was my understanding as well. As a first time HAL cruiser, I just enjoyed the perks that came with my booking but was observant what was around me! I only had to show my cabin key to the waiter because he needed it to get my Diet Coke! Doing a HAL/Celebrity B2B next month. I'll be super observant at breakfast!

How do you KNOW some guests in the Pinnacle Grill were only CO and not suite guests? Which ship are you on? 

7 minutes ago, twodjs said:

How do you KNOW some guests in the Pinnacle Grill were only CO and not suite guests? Which ship are you on? 

Zuiderdam. Overheard conversation at pool. It is also possible suite guests bought family or friends in who were not suite guests. That I do not know and don't really care. Let's not over analyze this. It's not a big deal to me either way as long as I get what I'm paying for. If someone else scams the system, looks for loopholes, has friends or anything else-good for them. 

Edited by molemaui

On my Eurodam Christmas cruise, the room service breakfast menu had a charge for the extra breakfast items like steak and eggs but did include the free mimosas.  Isn't the expanded breakfast menu a perk for Club Orange?  Or was I given the wrong menu by mistake?  

23 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I'm intrigued. 

How does one book CO? 

Is it allocated to specific cabin categories, like only SS? 

Can I book a regular outside cabin with that included?  

The curiosity is doing me in. 🤔🤕

It's not included in anything other than the top suites (not SS). You need to buy it separately, and presumably any category can purchase. You can add it for the regular price (I forget what that is at this point) after booking or you can wait to see if you receive an offer at a discounted price. I'm wondering if you can call HAL at the number that was posted here and ask for a discounted upgrade, for those whose TA's do not forward the notice?

Edited by MisterBill99

14 hours ago, twodjs said:

I asked because NO ONE who is not a suite guest is permitted. No exceptions. You may not care but I do. Let's stick to the facts. Please don't post rumors. 

I understand. Those are certainly the facts but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I posted what I actually heard. Are you the CO Police? Chill.

• 2 weeks later...

I never paid attention to what Club Orange was but did see passengers with nice orange totes in previous cruises. 
  But after receiving an email about NS new boarding system on our upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, we weren’t happy about having assigned boarding times by decks.

Today I received an email to join Club Orange at $25 pp per day which included early boarding, room upgrades, disembarkment,  dining perks, first in line excursion, any services, complimentary tours and parties plus more!  It’s limited and you do have to call.  Glad I did, it’s worth it to us! 

• Like 1

$50 a day is worth it?  Not sure I see the value there.  Maybe I'm missing something.  Not sure how they'll honor the upgrade part on the NS cruise in 2 weeks as I understand the unused rooms were booked by NA cruisers who had their cruise cancelled.  Last I saw was a "few" inside rooms left.  Maybe it's just me.  

Edited by rothbury

2 minutes ago, rothbury said:

$50 a day is worth it?  Not sure I see the value there.  Maybe I'm missing something.  Not sure how they'll honor the upgrade part on the NS cruise in 2 weeks as I understand the unused rooms were booked by NA cruisers who had their cruise cancelled.  Last I saw was a "few" inside rooms left.  Maybe it's just me.  

I was already assigned an upgraded stateroom and accepted since it was better than what we originally had.  Everyone had their own choice! But, we’d rather spend the money than wait in any lines and have another choice as to where to dine.  

26 minutes ago, TCorso said:

But after receiving an email about NS new boarding system on our upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, we weren’t happy about having assigned boarding times by decks

HAL has been sending that email for awhile now, and nobody has ever reported having to wait for their "assigned" boarding time.  

I wouldn't pay the $50/day for what you get, but that's JMO. 

On 1/1/2020 at 10:12 PM, twodjs said:

I asked because NO ONE who is not a suite guest is permitted. No exceptions. You may not care but I do. Let's stick to the facts. Please don't post rumors. 

Everything posted on this site is a rumor or opinion.  There are no longer any true facts.  This is a post-modern world that we live in.

Edited by ChinaShrek

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Everything posted on this site is a rumor or opinion.  There are no longer any true facts.  This is a post-modern world that we live in.

Also, remember that things vary by ship on HAL.  What is true on one ship may not be on another.

Example, on most ships I can exchange a bottle of champagne that the Neptune suites receive as a "gift" from the Captain for a bottle of house wine.  However, on one ship this was not allowed, and on another ship they would only give me soda or water in exchange.  One size does not fit all............