Best Sale Ever Starts December 11th

azbirdmom

12 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Last night the TA Retro info page was updated to include an upsell price for sip and sail bookings, $25 pp pd for adding grats and WiFi. Kind of a ho-hum since that is essentially the buy-it-yourself price.  But it’s gone this morning, although I do have a screenshot of it:

E9D1A083-DAD4-4922-9A9F-13C3FCE267CC.jpeg

I will admit that I haven’t read this entire thread and I started from the back but can someone please explain this to me. 

13 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

Actually, that is not true.  When in port, before leaving Los Angeles, taxes are added to each drink purchased.  I'm not sure if Princess absorbs these taxes, but i do know that Celebrity & NCL will add the taxes, even with the drink package.  But only until you leave port.  Tax is about 10%.  That also includes other purchases, such as a wine package purchased before leaving port.  At a few hundred dollars that can make a difference.  We have asked to have the slip put in after sailing, thus saving the10%.  

A few other port also require taxes charged on items purchased while in port.  Not really for this thread, but if anyone knows if Princess absorbs or other ports that charge I would be grateful.  

12 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

If you purchase drinks individually, including corkage fees, I know that we've been charged the tax imposed by port city  (eg:  San Francisco).  

The beverage packages, however, are exempt.  I asked the question specifically on my last sailing when I purchased a wine bottle package and on a previous sailing when we purchased a coffee card.  I'm not sure exactly how it is handled on the back end, but consumers are not charged for these taxes, either on the package purchase or individual drinks consumed under the package while in port.   Without any package, yes, depending on the port, these taxes are added onto your folio.  

Back in 2016 we did a cruise on the Crown from LA (California coastal). We paid taxes on our drink package drinks purchased in every port, even the Crown Grill Dinner the night we were in Santa Barbara had taxes added. 

I have not noticed that fee since. 

We have an upcoming cruise out of LA and I'd prefer to pay the drink package when I board, but I don't want to pay extra tax if that is charged when we book it on board. 

How recent did you both experience this?

Thank you

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I will admit that I haven’t read this entire thread and I started from the back but can someone please explain this to me. 

Do you have any current bookings? If so, what promo if any were they booked?

The pasted page is a 'crib-sheet' for TA's. It indicates that you can keep your fare and your perks and get what ever perks you wouldn't have from the original promo. Originally, there were three new codes: BEST3, BEST2DG, and BEST2DW, for $40pppd, $30pppd, and $25pppd respectively. PBP-grats-wifi, PBP-grats, and PBP-wifi respectively. ETA: it appears that all in a room must buy, although some interpret the wording to mean the first two passengers must buy and any 3rd/4th pax get the add-on. As they are basically giving away the PBP, that would be assuming a lot! 

A fourth code appeared (in the screen grab you pinned) for clients who had booked under Sip-n-Sail last summer. It was called BEST2WG for $25pppd and covering wifi-grats. Making grats equal to PBP, which is about right because PBP-grats is $30pppd and grats is $14.50-$15.50 for most of us. But that code has now disappeared from the crib-sheet so no one (here) knows if there is a grats+wifi add-on.

As the title of the thread states, the Best Sale Ever, starts on the 11th (Wednesday) and if it applies to you, you would go through whatever method you booked under. TA, CVP, or straight phone call (I think if you booked via internet you need to call for the add-ons). 

Finally, if you have no bookings but want to make one, there will be fares with all the perks. But they haven't been leaked!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

refundable deposits ? sorry, didn't read 9 pages … yet

Since you are considering making an initial booking for a 5 day cruise it will be $50 refundable deposit for PAX 1&2 in the same cabin.  According to the fine print on the sale flyer: 

"Deposit of $100 per guest is refundable. Full Suites require a $200 refundable deposit per guest. Cruises under 6 days require a $50 refundable deposit per guest. Deposits are required for guests 1 and 2 only. Reference promotion code: NZ*."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Since you are considering making an initial booking for a 5 day cruise it will be $50 refundable deposit for PAX 1&2 in the same cabin.  According to the fine print on the sale flyer: 

"Deposit of $100 per guest is refundable. Full Suites require a $200 refundable deposit per guest. Cruises under 6 days require a $50 refundable deposit per guest. Deposits are required for guests 1 and 2 only. Reference promotion code: NZ*."

thanks - but there seems to be another thread about deposit amounts changing on 12/9 … today 

maybe that doesn't apply to certain promotions like the above

50 would be nice,  100 acceptable IF both are refundable

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

thanks - but there seems to be another thread about deposit amounts changing on 12/9 … today 

What I posted are from the General Terms that apply to this offer.  This offer starts on December 11 and runs through February 29, 2020.  I haven't read the other thread, but bookings under this offer should be covered by the terms of this particular offer.  Also, before you get too worked up, check the voyage list for this offer to make sure your sailing is included in this offer.  Here are some links to PDFs that apply to this promotion:

Voyage list:  https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/sales_marketing/PC_BestSaleEver2020OSVoyageList.pdf

FAQs:  https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/sales_marketing/PC_BestSaleEver_TA_Flyer_R3_jq-updated.pdf

Retro Guidelines for PAX who already have a prior booking:  https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/sales_marketing/PC_Best_Sale_Ever_Retro_Guidelines_FINAL.pdf

Initial flyer:  https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/sales_marketing/PC_BestSaleEver_eFlyer_US.pdf

Looking at these different PDFs should answer all of your questions straight from the horse's mouth...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

ETA: it appears that all in a room must buy, although some interpret the wording to mean the first two passengers must buy and any 3rd/4th pax get the add-on. As they are basically giving away the PBP, that would be assuming a lot! 

I posted that info based on the FAQs but I think I qualified the posting to say I am not sure because the FAQs doesn't address when and how it applies to PAX 3 & 4.  See the FAQ:

Q: Do all guests in the cabin need to have the same offer?

A: Guests 1 and 2 must have the same offer. If the first and second guest have Best. Sale. Ever., it will apply to guest 3 and 4 by default. Guests 3 and 4 can opt out of this package by calling Princess to have it removed.

8 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Back in 2016 we did a cruise on the Crown from LA (California coastal). We paid taxes on our drink package drinks purchased in every port, even the Crown Grill Dinner the night we were in Santa Barbara had taxes added. 

I have not noticed that fee since. 

We have an upcoming cruise out of LA and I'd prefer to pay the drink package when I board, but I don't want to pay extra tax if that is charged when we book it on board. 

How recent did you both experience this?

Thank you

Jennybenny ... 

You will pay the taxes, imposed by the port, when you purchase drinks individually but not if you order a drink from your package.  I've never heard of that before and we've also done coastals (on the Grand, Coral, Star, Royal and a couple of Celebrity ships as well where we've had a beverage package of one type or another ... PBP, wine bottle package, coffee card).  

They definitely should not charge you the tax on the whole package when you purchase it while in port.  I recently purchased a wine bottle package (October) and asked that question.  I was going to wait until we were out at sea rather than pay an additional $40 for it.  I was told, 'no, there would be tax added to it'.  We did pay corkage one day while still in our embarkation port.  They did add the tax on that, which was a bit of a surprise.  It wasn't that much .. just surprised me is all.  

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Jennybenny ... 

You will pay the taxes, imposed by the port, when you purchase drinks individually but not if you order a drink from your package.  I've never heard of that before and we've also done coastals (on the Grand, Coral, Star, Royal and a couple of Celebrity ships as well where we've had a beverage package of one type or another ... PBP, wine bottle package, coffee card).  

They definitely should not charge you the tax on the whole package when you purchase it while in port.  I recently purchased a wine bottle package (October) and asked that question.  I was going to wait until we were out at sea rather than pay an additional $40 for it.  I was told, 'no, there would be tax added to it'.  We did pay corkage one day while still in our embarkation port.  They did add the tax on that, which was a bit of a surprise.  It wasn't that much .. just surprised me is all.  

Hi Cruise Raider,

Thank you for that clarification.

One more question... so if I buy the package upon boarding, no tax on that, Great! Will the drinks I then order as part of the package (while in Port) get taxed? That’s where I’m confused. It’s happened in the past but, not consistently. Well it’s happened in 2016 but not 2018, both cruises out of Los Angeles. So I’m guessing if the ports still impose that tax the cruise line is absorbing them??? Seems so unlike them?? Lol

Thank you! 

13 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thank you for the help.  Of course, for the past hour or so, I wanted to double check my personalizer but Princess is having internet problems and I cannot log in to my personalizer.  The last time I looked in my personalizer, they were only offering fixed numbers of minutes for various prices.  Even on my cruises, I have never felt as if I got a straight answer as to how much they are charging me for internet.  They don't even give me the option to book unlimited internet for my upcoming cruise so, I was just guesstimating the rate for unlimited at $12/day.  It makes it hard for me to determine how much I might be saving on my wifi.  No matter what, just the $25/day price for the PBP makes it worth it for me.  :classic_smile:

I've also been having trouble on the Princess website and was unable to get into my personalizer, even trying two different browsers to no avail.  Anyway, someone here on CC said they were just in it .. tried again.  NO LUCK.  Then, I tried on my iPad ... bingo.  No trouble at all ... was able to check in for my next cruise, book EZ air flights, check internet packages, etc....

Anyway, if pricing is not available, maybe (just maybe) your ship is going to have the Medallion Net installed and they haven't offered pricing as of yet.  The Grand just had their WiFi upgraded to Medallion Net and when I called to find out why I had no internet packages available, they said they were working on the pricing and it would be available online as of December 3rd ... the same date the Medallion Net was to go live.  Sure enough, it was there late on that date.  Usually, and I am not claiming to be an expert but this has been my experience, if the ship has Medallion Net, there are no minute limited packages available ... the offerings are for a one device or four device unlimited packages.  On mine, it is offered at $8.99 per day for one device.  I think I may just grab it as not sure how much cheaper it could actually get.  If I wait until I board, I may save a couple of bucks ... a very insignificant amount.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Jennybenny ... 

Maybe I've never experienced taxes on my drinks partly because I usually order beverages for my cabin through the personalizer.  I don't think I have ever bought an a la carte drink before we sailed because of that.

11 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Hi Cruise Raider,

One more question... so if I buy the package upon boarding, no tax on that, Great! Will the drinks I then order as part of the package (while in Port) get taxed? That’s where I’m confused. It’s happened in the past but, not consistently. Well it’s happened in 2016 but not 2018, both cruises out of Los Angeles. So I’m guessing if the ports still impose that tax the cruise line is absorbing them??? Seems so unlike them?? Lol

Thank you! 

I don't know exactly what happens on the back end but I wouldn't assume that Princess is absorbing any taxes imposed by the port without ultimately passing them along to the passenger.  

And you are correct that when we've had any package, bought and paid for either prior to or on the sailing, we've not paid any further taxes on individual drinks when ordered while we were in port.  Sounds like it is inconsistently applied.  As of  months ago (and last year) we were not charged any taxes on drinks we consumed from a package while in port.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tonit964 said:

No, I have non refundable OBC I would pay the grats with so no need to purchase it as an add on but that's not an option so I'll have to spend the OBC on excursions or something.

If no OBC or grats perk, they go on my bill as always.

ETA: In my 35+ cruises, I have only removed tips one time on an NCL cruise where I had two different staff argue with me over a menu item and turning the sofa into bed for my DD. 

My apologies. I should not have posted that. I did not mean it be a snarky as it came across.

37 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Hi Cruise Raider,

Thank you! 

I think whether or not you are charged taxes has to do with when the drink ticket is turned in.

Whenever I purchase a drink (or the package) upon boarding I ALWAYS ask the bartender to please hold the ticket until we are out to sea. (And then add a nice cash tip for his or her inconvenience)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

I think Princess' experiment with setting up promos with NRD's has gone into the trash as they still had hidden RD's anyway and that is what the traveling public is looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chamima said:

Just a note.

I think this sale is great and we plan to take advantage of it but Princess has pretty much rendered a lot of our Elite perks valueless.

Thank goodness for the laundry! 😉

What has been lost?  The mini bar, maybe?  

I would actually like to turn in the free laundry for a specialty dinner or a couple of photos.  That's just me though.  

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I posted that info based on the FAQs but I think I qualified the posting to say I am not sure because the FAQs doesn't address when and how it applies to PAX 3 & 4.  See the FAQ:

Q: Do all guests in the cabin need to have the same offer?

A: Guests 1 and 2 must have the same offer. If the first and second guest have Best. Sale. Ever., it will apply to guest 3 and 4 by default. Guests 3 and 4 can opt out of this package by calling Princess to have it removed.

I asked about this earlier, but I see that this may apply for new or rebooked cruises.  Does it also apply for those that want to add options to one's cabin (leaving current booking in place)?  I suspect it may be obvious, but I couldn't see direct advice for trips already booked.

TIA

3 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

I asked about this earlier, but I see that this may apply for new or rebooked cruises.  Does it also apply for those that want to add options to one's cabin (leaving current booking in place)?  I suspect it may be obvious, but I couldn't see direct advice for trips already booked.

TIA

According to the flier posted in #207 of this thread, the answer is yes.  

27 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

According to the flier posted in #207 of this thread, the answer is yes.  

Hmm, I did check that... FAQ and other flyers.  But to me anyway, it seems like both occupants have to purchase same adders for a booking.  I didn't see it in the section for those that already have a booking and are just adding to it.. not rebooking.  Maybe I'm just slow.. or maybe I'm just hopeful???  LOL.   It's that my wife isn't a drinker so there may not be that much of a deal for both of us to sign up.  I guess I'll know in a couple of days... patience.. something that I lack! 🙂

2 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Hmm, I did check that... FAQ and other flyers.  But to me anyway, it seems like both occupants have to purchase same adders for a booking.  I didn't see it in the section for those that already have a booking and are just adding to it.. not rebooking.  Maybe I'm just slow.. or maybe I'm just hopeful???  LOL.   It's that my wife isn't a drinker so there may not be that much of a deal for both of us to sign up.  I guess I'll know in a couple of days... patience.. something that I lack! 🙂

I misunderstood what you were asking.  Someone did post in here that it must be added for both occupants of the cabin if you want to take advantage of this.