Maasdam being refused Practique in Fiji

VK3DQ

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Got vaccinated as a kid in Holland; left two distinctive but small "imprints" on my upper right arm so I carry my proof with me :classic_wink: It would have been nice if the Fijian government had given a heads up to those visiting that island country, especially to a cruise line whose Fijian port call has been known for at least one year

You sure it was MMR? That vaccine doesn’t usually leave scars. BCG* and Smallpox do. I believe you are about the same vintage as I am, and my guess is you too got smallpox vaccine.😉

(*BCG is for TB and is given to young children in some countries.)

12 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

You sure it was MMR? That vaccine doesn’t usually leave scars. BCG* and Smallpox do. I believe you are about the same vintage as I am, and my guess is you too got smallpox vaccine.😉

(*BCG is for TB and is given to young children in some countries.)

Yes, I sit corrected and have learned something again from the MightyCruiseQueen, Floridiana, DaisyBertie and yourself (quite a group of cool names we got there!) :classic_wink: Those shots I received at my Amsterdam elementary school were for smallpox - quite a bit of trauma going on there  as I recall - and yes, that was a vintage year! :classic_cool: Thanks y'all!

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

It's a smallpox vaccination scar which I don't have, but I was vaccinated. All my friends had scars. Smallpox and Polio were the 2 vaccines they gave us in Germany.

I have a strange mark (“wrinkly skin patch” about 1 1/2” on the inside of my upper arm from my first smallpox vaccine. My best friend growing up got hers on her upper leg below her glute and her scar was a typical smallpox vaccine scar. 

Had a second one in the late 60s to treat a wart. No scar.  

Third smallpox vaccine right after 9-11 as part of a team for preparedness for work. Those of us lower risk and of a certain age were requested to volunteer, just in case.  Still no typical scar, and hardly a mark.

Good decision from Fidji. Can you contract the measle while ashore and carry it onboard? I know that for the authority it is quite a pain to deal with. If one person gets the measle they will have to contact everybody who was in contact with that person.

3 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

Good decision from Fidji. Can you contract the measle while ashore and carry it onboard? I know that for the authority it is quite a pain to deal with. If one person gets the measle they will have to contact everybody who was in contact with that person.

It’s highly contagious.

But just going ashore doesn’t mean someone will catch it. Did the ship come from an area that is having a lot of cases?

Just had a chuckle debating this with my husband. He was born in 1956, I was later. We both had measles, mumps, and chicken pox as kids and of course no proof of recent vaccinations. Your cruise is our dream itinerary on HAL. We just had the belly laugh that I would be stuck on the ship waving at Happy Hour while he was able to go and least take a few pics. Not taking anything away from the seriousness of the issue but dang shouldn't there have been a heads up prior to port arrival day?        

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

Just had a chuckle debating this with my husband. He was born in 1956, I was later. We both had measles, mumps, and chicken pox as kids and of course no proof of recent vaccinations. Your cruise is our dream itinerary on HAL. We just had the belly laugh that I would be stuck on the ship waving at Happy Hour while he was able to go and least take a few pics. Not taking anything away from the seriousness of the issue but dang shouldn't there have been a heads up prior to port arrival day?        

No, you'd both be stuck on the ship.  The OP said those born before 1956 were allowed ashore.

Disappointment to all those passengers born in and after 1956 who can't prove they're immune or received the vaccine.  Yes, I can remember those "parties" where parents hoped their kids would catch whatever childhood disease was making the rounds.  I can also recall missing every Christmas play for several years in a row because I had chicken pox, measles, or mumps.  Not fun.

I suppose if a person is planning to take such a voyage, he/she must carry proof of vaccination and/or bloodwork results proving immunity.  So sad that in our modern age of medicine with preventable measures that people still become infected, and, worse, some victims die.

44 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Disappointment to all those passengers born in and after 1956 who can't prove they're immune or received the vaccine.  Yes, I can remember those "parties" where parents hoped their kids would catch whatever childhood disease was making the rounds.  I can also recall missing every Christmas play for several years in a row because I had chicken pox, measles, or mumps.  Not fun.

I suppose if a person is planning to take such a voyage, he/she must carry proof of vaccination and/or bloodwork results proving immunity.  So sad that in our modern age of medicine with preventable measures that people still become infected, and, worse, some victims die.

Unfortunately, some parents are not allowing their children to be vaccinated.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PSR said:

Unfortunately, some parents are not allowing their children to be vaccinated.

Yes, am aware, since my son is Autistic.  He was older and had been vaccinated when all the clamor over the possible link between Autism and vaccines occurred; however, I understand that some parents may have other reasons, such as religious ones etc., for not getting their children vaccinated.

In this day & age there is no excuse not to get your kids vaccinated, unless it's a medical reason. Not only are you putting your kid at risk but others as well. Do not believe in a religious excuse.

• Like 2

Short of getting entirely re-vaccinated, is there a convenient way for cruisers to guard against this problem via blood tests or some such that can be accomplished on a visit to one's doctor, and thereafter carry along? I doubt it would be possible to get ahold of my childhood vaccination records.

Edited by Wehwalt

11 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

I got a blood test which showed I have immunity. I have printed out the doctor's email saying I am immune.

I couldn't remember if I had it as a child.

Likewise. Born before 1956 here, too. Neither I or my mother could remember if I had the measles as a child. A blood test confirmed immunity. I have a printed copy of the lab report and my physician's note.

However, I wouldn't normally carry these documents with me on a cruise or overseas unless specifically instructed in advance. I'm going to scan a copy of both documents to my phone today; that's an easy way to have a copy on hand if needed.

Edited by ryndam
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Likewise. Neither I or my mother could remember if I had the measles as a child. A blood test confirmed immunity. I have a printed copy of the lab report and my physician's note. However, I wouldn't normally carry these documents with me on a cruise or overseas unless specifically instructed in advance.

Same here, I had no idea of my immune status. Since there have been reports this year of measles outbreaks in airports, I decided to get the MMR titer test last month. Insurance covered all of it (rare for my insurance, just sayin') and I received the results in a few days. I now have an electronic version of the report I can "carry" with me at all times. If you have a printed copy, I suppose you could take a picture of it on your phone so you'll always have it with you. Hopefully the port authorities would accept that?

9 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

New info

IMAG0768.jpg

This letter says United States citizens born before 1957.  (which would mean 1956)

Sorry that this applies to three ports in Fiji.

But it is good that they are protecting their children, since so many have died from measles elsewhere.  (Sort of hard to understand, since our generation took measles for granted, inevitable.  However it was only the measles that worried my mother enough to really isolate and protect us from sunlight.)

Thank you, John, for keeping us informed.

Kind Regards,

Barbara

12 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Passengers born before 1956. Allowed on shore

12 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Just goes to show ya, sometimes it pays to be an old timer. 😉

I was born way before 1956 -- never had the measles -- no shots when I was born.

Yea -- I can go ashore.

Sorry for those that can't go ashore.

Wonder why HAL didn't notify the passengers before the cruise?