Al Bacio , this is nuts

jc foster

My wife and I returned a few days ago from a ten day Southern Caribbean sailing on the Reflection. We were one of the first couple of hundred persons to board and  we headed to the Al Bacio café and ordered two coffees. A short time later our waiter came back with our card and bill. I had noticed him talking back and forth with a guy who I think was his supervisor. On our bill the waiter had only written a description of our coffees but no prices; he then informed us that they were slow in getting newly arrived guests credit card information into the computer and that we would have to take our copy of the bill to guest services in ordered to be charged and to verify the purchase. We waited until the next morning and went to guest services. When we handed the lady behind the counter ? She looked at us like we were nuts and then asked, " Whats this ? Where are the prices? . We explained and she said, " These will be free". Three days later the coffees showed up on our bill. In my opinion El Bacio should start taking care of their own business . A trip to Guest Relations is not a good way to start off a cruise. On a positive note the food , service, and ship were very good. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We have run into this same issue, although not at that cafe.

Ours wasn't handled that way, but sorry, I don't see the big deal.  

Sorry,  I don not like going and standing in line at Guest relations for any reason especially something that should be handled by the ship. Not a good way to start off a vacation.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jc foster said:

Sorry,  I don not like going and standing in line at Guest relations for any reason especially something that should be handled by the ship. Not a good way to start off a vacation.

Hopefully, the end to the vacation was better then? Or did the traumatic effects of this incident linger?

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I would have nicely told them I would not go to guest services, that I did not want to stand in line there on my vacation, and if they could not bill me they should have let me know before I ordered the drinks 🙂

Could you not pay later that day, or the next day, at Al Bacio? Crazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jc foster said:

Your posting was very informative! You took the time to explain your experience which was not a good one even though it work out OK. Why do people not accept you explaining your experience to inform others. That is what this forum is about. INFO!

Glad you enjoyed the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wpgcycler said:

Hopefully, the end to the vacation was better then? Or did the traumatic effects of this incident linger?

I think you may have missed the poster's OP, where JC ends with,  "...On a positive note the food, service, and ship were very good."

And overall, JC, though there doesn't appear to be any traumatic effects mentioned in your story, it is 'nuts' (the term you used to describe the Guest Services Attendent's reaction to your complaint) that there was drama in having so many circumstances result from the Cruise ship's errors, including the offence of being charge and having to clear a charge that wasn't warranted at all...

So JC, I too would have reacted similarly. Though your reaction in the comments you provide certainly do alert all of us, including me, a relatively new Cruise Critic member (going on Summit in  five days) to such circumstances; I have not found your telling of them was portrayed as any 'big deal', rather, simply good reportage to all. Thank you.

Edited by MarcArt
I spelled Critic wrong...
  • Like 5

It was a 10 day cruise.  Had you no occasion during the entire voyage to go to GS but for this one incident?  Lucky you.  I would have waited until it was convenient for me.  I see no obligation for a passenger to interrupt his/her plans to facilitate the ship's accounting (unless there is an error not in your favor).  MHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Question based on this “waiter going away and coming back” thing...

I was under the impression that Al Baccio was walk up and order (simple) -  not sit and be waited on (not my idea of a coffee shop). Which is it?

All the Celebrity ships we have been on did have waiter service, too. In fact, if you are standing in line to order and the waiters are not busy, they will take you order and sometimes make it themselves for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jc foster said:

We’ve had the same thing happen more than once at al Bacio, just signed the slip and never gave it a second thought.  Not sure why you had to go to Guest Services.

• Like 2

Sounds like the same thing at the pool when you dont have the drink package and they offer you a drink of the day (pre-made).  They have you sign a handmade receipt but have never been asked to take it to guest services.  Hmmmm, wierd.... 

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I was under the impression that Al Baccio was walk up and order (simple) -  not sit and be waited on (not my idea of a coffee shop). Which is it?

w - it is both, as there is an area for sitting and attendants will take and bring your order to you.

Often times, if one chooses or seemingly find that elusive 'alone' seating in Al Bacio, then it becomes a 'to go' order.

bon voyage

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

w - it is both, as there is an area for sitting and attendants will take and bring your order to you.

Bo...this also has been our experiences. It doesn't matter whether you're sitting at the tables along the railing or in the big yellow chairs. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oxo said:

Your posting was very informative! You took the time to explain your experience which was not a good one even though it work out OK. Why do people not accept you explaining your experience to inform others. That is what this forum is about. INFO!

Glad you enjoyed the rest of the cruise. 

I agree with Oxo here. Why do people have to be snarky about a well intended post?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

I would have thrown the receipt away. No way would I have gone to GS. If the coffee charges showed up on my account, no biggie as we bought them. If the charges didn't show up on our account, no biggie. Thank you Celebrity. 

My thoughts exactly.

38 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

I agree with Oxo here. Why do people have to be snarky about a well intended post?

Well, the post may have been well intended yet I believe that the title which is almost perjorative as it was written cause(d)s posters to react accordingly.

I, too, Am guilty for writing such titles, without question and have received such commentary yet I do not consider it snarky as opposed to re-reading them to find the exact intention of the poster and accept that accordingly.

Not everyone will think to 'tone down' their comments as such, we write what we are thinking at the moment and that is that... unfiltered!

Were we face to face, then communication(s) and expressions may come across differently. There are only a few of us, IMO, who truly excel at being snarky and then the rest of us do not excel at it, yet get the mace, as it is only how we write and how the expressions are translated by the synapses of the reader(s)... This si the defense and I Am sticking by it!!!  😁

I do try to be gentle and understanding when reading some of the comments aimed at me for being snarky and I do try to only re-state the facts as I read and/or understand them or do I???... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It's both..take out or be served

Agree with OP...totally nuts to have to walk your own bill to Guest Relations..

No way we would do that...but we have usually been on  package so no real bill anyhow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1