ComPensation

sail7seas

It is a  word we see  /read here and itr always seems to make me thinkof  someone begging to get as much out of an undesireable situation as they can squeezefrom a bad cicumstance

Machines breakon land, at sea., did you  never lose hot water or heat in your home   or place   of  business?   Did you never see or hear of a burst  pipe in a friends', neighbors', family members' home?  Probably not their fault but oh gee, if that had been on a ship, it likely was not anyone's fault so why should there be an expectation of 'payment' fo some inconevience?  Anyone agree?  Most  disagree with me?When we see   posts from  cruisers on a ship where something went amiss,why do they run here to ask, how  much should I get?

I am very uncomfortable with some of that attitude.

The worst, IMO , are the long lines of complainers when weather has  caused a delay or missed port  Weather?  Since when did HAL get the chore of causing b ad  weather?

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What brought this on?  Assuming - as this is a cruise forum - it is something to do with the compensation given to passengers on the cancelled Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.  If so, as far as I am concerned, they fully deserve all the compensation HAL has given them.  And good for HAL.

And, by the way, I just got (unasked for) compensation from Costco for a sloppily-installed washer (seeing as you mentioned appliances, LOL) which is good PR on their part.

1 minute ago, sail7seas said:

No,   you r assumption as to what prompted my comments  about Compensation. 

IS not  accurate.

So what was it?  Threads I have read recently that related to compensation - the NA, the Neptune suite disaster - were deserving of compensation, IMHO and I am sure most would agree, if you put yourself in their position.

The dissatisfied tell a hundred, the satisfied tell no one. 

I think many if us have experienced HAL's generosity, but say nothing. We were on the 2018 Viking Passage voyage on Zuiderdam in September of that year. In no particular order, we experienced

- an extra port at no charge (Djupivogur, Iceland)

- a missed port (Seydisfjotdur, Iceland), due to bad weather

- two nights in a port instead of one day (Akureyri, Iceland), because of weather

- a missed port due to the delay caused by weather (Paamiut, Greenlandn)

- a missed port (Saint Johns) due to having to participate in a (failed) passenger overboard search off the northern Canadian coast

- a change of berth in New York because a Carnival ship had damaged the dock in Manhattan

Just before we got to New York, everyone got a letter from the Captain, informing us that all would receive a 15% of their respective base fare. We certainly didn't expect this, as all the difficulties were what I would consider beyond HAL's ability to mitigate. We were most grateful, and have put the credit to good use.

I would not have blamed HAL for doing nothing but apologizing, but they were generous, and we won't forget. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

Just before we got to New York, everyone got a letter from the Captain, informing us that all would receive a 15% of their respective base fare. We certainly didn't expect this, as all the difficulties were what I would consider beyond HAL's ability to mitigate. We were most grateful, and have put the credit to good use.

I would not have blamed HAL for doing nothing but apologizing, but they were generous, and we won't forget. 

We were also that Cruise and feel the same as you!  We didn’t expect anything, rolled with the all the changes and was pleasantly surprised when we received the letter with the compensation.  We heard no one complain either.  A few we talked with said missing St. John was disappointing due to the Search and Rescue but understood it (as did we).  

Captain Bart was great and it was probably the best “Ask the Captain” we have ever attended.  With all the hiccups on that Cruise it was also one of our favorites and definitely one of our most memorable out of 70 plus Cruises.  After arriving at Brooklyn Terminal we couldn’t get home for five days due to Hurricane Florence.  Another “adventure” after Debarking!  😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, idiebabe said:

We were also that Cruise and feel the same as you!  We didn’t expect anything, rolled with the all the changes and was pleasantly surprised when we received the letter with the compensation.  We heard no one complain either.  A few we talked with said missing St. John was disappointing due to the Search and Rescue but understood it (as did we).  

Captain Bart was great and it was probably the best “Ask the Captain” we have ever attended.  With all the hiccups on that Cruise it was also one of our favorites and definitely one of our most memorable out of 70 plus Cruises.  After arriving at Brooklyn Terminal we couldn’t get home for five days due to Hurricane Florence.  Another “adventure” after Debarking!  😂

A bit younger future Captain Bart (center, as officer cadet) :classic_wink:

HAL Captain Johannes 'Hans' van Biljouw (with 4-O Bart Vaartjes).jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Machines breakon land, at sea., did you  never lose hot water or heat in your home   or place   of  business?   Did you never see or hear of a burst  pipe in a friends', neighbors', family members' home?  Probably not their fault but oh gee, if that had been on a ship, it likely was not anyone's fault so why should there be an expectation of 'payment' fo some inconevience?  Anyone agree?

I expect to get what I pay for. If I get less than what I pay for, I expect to pay less. Things I expect on a ship are an un-flooded cabin with working HVAC, hot and cold running water, and a toilet that flushes.

I expect a restaurant to offer to pay the cleaning bill for a guest that staff has spilled gravy on and I expect a hotel to offer a refund of the difference in price if a guest is forced into a lesser room. Such offers should be made with profuse, sincere apologies without the guest having to ask for anything.

• Like 11

My wife and I were on the Dec 14th cruise on Nieux Amsterdam that was cancelled. We were also booked on the following14 day cruise departing Dec 21st. The crew did a wonderful job under very trying circumstances. However they were unable to give information as to the following cruise because nobody knew whether it would sail or not. HAL was wonderful. Those who decided to stay were given free hotel and daily expenses. We chose to scrap the whole thing and head home. We were given ALL of our money back for both cruises. We were also given a FCC for the base fare of the cancelled cruise, which they allowed me to attach to a cruise we already had booked. They also covered our out of pocket expenses for airlines, etc. I have nothing but good things to say about HAL.  Good job.

• Like 10

19 hours ago, sail7seas said:

It is a  word we see  /read here and itr always seems to make me thinkof  someone begging to get as much out of an undesireable situation as they can squeezefrom a bad cicumstance

Machines breakon land, at sea., did you  never lose hot water or heat in your home   or place   of  business?   Did you never see or hear of a burst  pipe in a friends', neighbors', family members' home?  Probably not their fault but oh gee, if that had been on a ship, it likely was not anyone's fault so why should there be an expectation of 'payment' fo some inconevience?  Anyone agree?  Most  disagree with me?When we see   posts from  cruisers on a ship where something went amiss,why do they run here to ask, how  much should I get?

I am very uncomfortable with some of that attitude.

The worst, IMO , are the long lines of complainers when weather has  caused a delay or missed port  Weather?  Since when did HAL get the chore of causing b ad  weather?

A Freaking Men!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I ask or demand ComPensation from HAL when my Veranda door slammed shut with 4 of my fingers getting caught in it, when 1 of them requiring stitches?  NO I did not! I did not ask for or even demand all the required medical attention that was required for the daily Doctor's care I had to undergo. HAL did not charge me a dime for the Medical.

Sail, I think in this day and age, people are enabled to the point of a kind of Gimme, Gimme mentality?

Joanie

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, IRL_Joanie said:

Did I ask or demand ComPensation from HAL when my Veranda door slammed shut with 4 of my fingers getting caught in it, when 1 of them requiring stitches?  NO I did not! I did not ask for or even demand all the required medical attention that was required for the daily Doctor's care I had to undergo. HAL did not charge me a dime for the Medical.

Sail, I think in this day and age, people are enabled to the point of a kind of Gimme, Gimme mentality?

Joanie

Ahh, y,es, Joanie you  get it. sad to  say bu t  IMO   it is possible to describe some of us as  "spoiled and  too expectant of perfection.  I wonder how many offer perfection  at  their places of employment?  I venture to guess Very few, if any.

Not much in this world is perfect if we sail safely, have a  good time, make a new friend o rtwo, visit stunning or interesting wonderful places,    that is perfect enough for me to not have a list of 'demands" and question  how  'much'  others have 

"  gotten"  for similar lack of perfection events.

JMO .....

Joanie,  Nice to see you posting.  Hope you have been well.

36 minutes ago, IRL_Joanie said:

What makes you 'assume' that in over 100 cruises I have never  been in like position??  Wrong again   🙂  I have  

'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IRL_Joanie said:

Joanie

I agree about the gimme gimme mentality. NOT in the case of the cancelled cruise. HAL absolutely had to refund the cost of the cruise. Adding the fcc equal to the whole cruise was generous, and so far, nobody has posted here screaming for more.

BUT we do see posts on CC--not just on this board--where people immediately start a complaint by saying they're going to "demand" this or that, even for small problems. In a way, cruise lines (and hotels) have brought this upon themselves by being quick to offer compensation. People read about it on CC and some think, I want some of that, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whogo said:

I expect to get what I pay for. If I get less than what I pay for, I expect to pay less. Things I expect on a ship are an un-flooded cabin with working HVAC, hot and cold running water, and a toilet that flushes.

I expect a restaurant to offer to pay the cleaning bill for a guest that staff has spilled gravy on and I expect a hotel to offer a refund of the difference in price if a guest is forced into a lesser room. Such offers should be made with profuse, sincere apologies without the guest having to ask for anything.

Exactly.  I would also disagree with the OP in that most of the posts I've read where a guest has requested compensation, that request was quite justified.  Of course, in cases of "force majeure" such as weather or safety issues,  HAL cannot be held responsible.

• Like 9

I think we’re seeing this attitude in reference to the child care issue on the Oosterdam.

The traveler that experienced the issue had a valid point, but I believe some were just bashing HAL.

We all pay the same price, barring sales etc, but travelers with children seem to believe that the child care perk is a paid for perk. It is not.

The cost of child care for the hours used, if done at home, would be astonishing. 
While the passengers without children are paying the same prices without receiving anything.

I realize the children are paid passengers, they are still receiving the same as everyone else, ie food bed bath travel.

So while I sympathize I do not empathize.

22 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Machines breakon land, at sea., did you  never lose hot water or heat in your home   or place   of  business?   Did you never see or hear of a burst  pipe in a friends', neighbors', family members' home?  Probably not their fault but oh gee, if that had been on a ship, it likely was not anyone's fault so why should there be an expectation of 'payment' fo some inconevience?  Anyone agree?  Most  disagree with me?

This is part of the OP’s original post copied and pasted here word for word.  No reference to children at all but to mechanical issues.

22 hours ago, sail7seas said:
15 minutes ago, TheJurea said:

I think we’re seeing this attitude in reference to the child care issue on the Oosterdam.

The traveler that experienced the issue had a valid point, but I believe some were just bashing HAL.

We all pay the same price, barring sales etc, but travelers with children seem to believe that the child care perk is a paid for perk. It is not.

The cost of child care for the hours used, if done at home, would be astonishing. 
While the passengers without children are paying the same prices without receiving anything.

I realize the children are paid passengers, they are still receiving the same as everyone else, ie food bed bath travel.

So while I sympathize I do not empathize.

I guess if your cabin gets flooded and you are moved to a smaller cabin (a recent thread here on CC) or if your cruise is cancelled because of mechanical issues you are wrong to expect compensation?

I think NOT.  Some people work all year and look forward to their week or two week’s vacation.  

And you should get what you pay for.  Sure something might break in my house but there I get it fixed quickly.  On a ship, you have little control.  And a vacation ruined that you paid good money for is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.  No amount of compensation can make it totally right - but it certainly takes the sting out and shows that consideration has been made to the passenger.  

As to your children’s club comment - think about what the ship would be like with them all running around everywhere if HAL did not provide that service.  Most ships do and HAL should too 😉 

• Like 7

Kazu you  confused several posts,  I    made  No mention of children anywhere in this thread.       Other posters did  but I did not

As to your children’s club comment - think about what the ship would be like with them all running around everywhere if HAL did not provide that service.  Most ships do and HAL should too 😉 

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

Edited by sail7seas

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

I guess if your cabin gets flooded and you are moved to a smaller cabin (a recent thread here on CC) or if your cruise is cancelled because of mechanical issues you are wrong to expect compensation?

I think NOT.  Some people work all year and look forward to their week or two week’s vacation.  

And you should get what you pay for.  Sure something might break in my house but there I get it fixed quickly.  On a ship, you have little control.  And a vacation ruined that you paid good money for is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.  No amount of compensation can make it totally right - but it certainly takes the sting out and shows that consideration has been made to the passenger.  

Spot on. 👏

And to repeat what was said before:

I want what I agreed to, and paid my hard earned money for. A room not flooded, hot & cold running water, A/C that works and food that is edible. "ship happens" is an excuse that gets bantered around way too often especially to cover up minimal /poorly scheduled maintenance. And if there is an incident that causes my cruise to be less that what I paid for, I expect compensation. While I will not rail on and complain I will not return.

If someone wants to put up with these issues that some trivialize and continue to sail on HAL. It's their money and time. 

I don't and won't. too many other offerings out there to give me what I paid for.  

• Like 4

23 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

So what was it?  Threads I have read recently that related to compensation - the NA, the Neptune suite disaster - were deserving of compensation, IMHO and I am sure most would agree, if you put yourself in their position.

T8 - I am most interested in your reference to the "Neptune suite disaster" which I have searched in vain for. Could you give me a link to the thread, or a summary of the issue, please?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, What was that? said:

T8 - I am most interested in your reference to the "Neptune suite disaster" which I have searched in vain for. Could you give me a link to the thread, or a summary of the issue, please?

Sorry, I don't have time to go search for it for you, but in a nutshell (and referenced in post #17) - passenger booked and paid for a Neptune Suite, which flooded, and they got moved to a lesser cabin for the duration of their cruise (I believe 12 days) with no offer of compensation or difference between cost.

3 hours ago, IRL_Joanie said:

Joanie

A Freaking Men???

If you slam a door on your fingers - very ouchy, and I sympathise - no one's fault but yours.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Sorry, I don't have time to go search for it for you, but in a nutshell (and referenced in post #17) - passenger booked and paid for a Neptune Suite, which flooded, and they got moved to a lesser cabin for the duration of their cruise (I believe 12 days) with no offer of compensation or difference between cost.

OK - thanks, that's enough for me. It clearly is not a generic situation with all NS as I feared - we are in one in August on the Oosterdam to Alaska.

6 minutes ago, What was that? said:

OK - thanks, that's enough for me. It clearly is not a generic situation with all NS as I feared - we are in one in August on the Oosterdam to Alaska.

Not, not generic at all, though it did happen to us once in a NS, but they were able to fix it and dry it out with those big blowers.  Minor inconvenience.  You will enjoy your suite, and Alaska!

20 hours ago, kwb101 said:

The dissatisfied tell a hundred, the satisfied tell no one. 

I think many if us have experienced HAL's generosity, but say nothing. We were on the 2018 Viking Passage voyage on Zuiderdam in September of that year. In no particular order, we experienced

- an extra port at no charge (Djupivogur, Iceland)

- a missed port (Seydisfjotdur, Iceland), due to bad weather

- two nights in a port instead of one day (Akureyri, Iceland), because of weather

- a missed port due to the delay caused by weather (Paamiut, Greenlandn)

- a missed port (Saint Johns) due to having to participate in a (failed) passenger overboard search off the northern Canadian coast

- a change of berth in New York because a Carnival ship had damaged the dock in Manhattan

We too were on that cruise and we're VERY grateful for HAL's unexpected compensation for things that were out of their control.  It was a very nice touch.

• Like 1