Help! Traveling with "Those People"

kiddo76

". . . . . refused to use my SPF 50 lotion because "they say anything above 30 is just a marketing scheme"."

This is definitely my favorite "issue".  I wonder if the OP's father-in-law is Norman Thayer.  😁

• Haha 1

We have never had any trouble whatsoever in voting with our feet, voting with our wallets, or making a decision to remove ourselves from toxic personal situations.  We expect a certain amount of civility and consideration in personal and family relationships.  In financial relationships we expect to get exactly what we paid for-nothing less, nothing more.

We do not like to, or relish complaining.  We take the approach that it is better to effect change and move forward than continue with the same old, same old.   So whether it be a TA, a cruise line, a bank, a consumer good, or a service, we don't fall the the same old gag more than twice. Once can be a one off, we may try again.  But if the second try is a dud, it is game over for us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Is it your husband who is putting the pressure on?  I had a similar situation years ago when my wife was pressuring me to go on a "family" cruise.  The prospect of being on a cruise ship for any length of time with my father-in-law was unappealing so not only did I pass I paid for her single supplement.  It was money well spent. 

He didn't pressure me at all. I let him make the decision. We don't get to spend a lot of time with his parents. He's an only child and we only vacation with them every few years.

We rent a beach house for a week every year with my family and DH and I always look forward to it and have a blast. So I leave it up to him to decide how often we vacation with his folks. My family is just way cooler. 😉

• Like 4

4 hours ago, iancal said:

There is an easy fix to this in the future   Choose not to travel with them again. 

Vacation time and vacation dollars can sometimes be challenging to come by. Why on earth torture yourself?  Not wanting to vacation with the in laws from hell does not mean that family is not important to you or that you do not love them.  It just means that you have come to your senses and understand how to best deal with family  for your own sake and theirs.

Why be a martyr?

Not trying to be a martyr, just needed to vent here to keep the peace. I'm having a great time. They used to be very courteous, thoughtful people who were very much rules followers. They have done a complete 180 over the years and it makes my and DH heads spin!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

". . . . . refused to use my SPF 50 lotion because "they say anything above 30 is just a marketing scheme"."

This is definitely my favorite "issue".  I wonder if the OP's father-in-law is Norman Thayer.  😁

Pretty much.😂

5 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

He’s actually right about the SPF thing. The difference between 30 and 50 is only about a 1% increase in UV protection. 

But that’s an argument for the cash register.  If you already have it, there’s no reason not to wear it. 

I've read the same thing. I am very pale skinned, like glow in the dark white. While the 50 doesn't provide that much more protection, I've discovered when I'm closer the to the equator, I burn more easily with 30 than 50. I need that extra 1% so I don't immediately go up I flames!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, breezy_carol said:

Mt husband and I went on a cruise this summer with son and DIL.  I guess that made us the in-laws.  I hope neither of them felt this way.  I don't think they did.  We tried very hard to give them space.

We had a great trip to Alaska with son and DIL as well.  

• Like 1

Thinking about the title of this thread : “Those People” — made me realize that on almost any cruise there is always a significant number (if not an absolute majority) of “Those People” - you see them fingering food in the buffet, pushing ahead in lines, hogging poolside loungers, pushing onto the elevator as you are trying to get off, savings rows of seats in the theatre, arguing (loudly) with their companions ——-  there just seems to be a higher percentage of “Those People” on cruise ships than I encounter in day to day activity at home.

Do you suppose the sea air might trigger it?

• Like 3

Don't remind me.  It is one of the reasons we avoid the buffet.  And always take the stairs (besides, we get to have a good view of the art in the stairways).  We prefer to board a little later.  Pushing to get on the ship and rushing to the buffet or MDR before they run out of food for what we might envisage as our last meal is not a top priority.

Maybe it has something  to do with the preservatives they put in the food.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You're missing the point of telling your fellow travelers you have noro as an excuse to avoid their company.

BTW, you'd be crazy to spend hours anywhere but your cabin on your honeymoon.

No, I never said/meant that. Was a joke, not really though lot of truth. Was our Honeymoon, was in ARMY, after being gone for yr was "Pleased" to see me at least 4 times a day. Better then other Passengers I saw then having "Relations" in the Hot Tub and in the water at Labadee. Have to remember this was 1988 when people that Cruised were called the Newlywed's and Nearly Dead's. They was a single person on the Cruise under 18. We were like 2 of 12 under 40 onboard. But back then Cruising was very expensive compared to now.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Thinking about the title of this thread : “Those People” — made me realize that on almost any cruise there is always a significant number (if not an absolute majority) of “Those People” - you see them fingering food in the buffet, pushing ahead in lines, hogging poolside loungers, pushing onto the elevator as you are trying to get off, savings rows of seats in the theatre, arguing (loudly) with their companions ——-  there just seems to be a higher percentage of “Those People” on cruise ships than I encounter in day to day activity at home.

Do you suppose the sea air might trigger it?

Those antics kind of make us laugh.  Anyway, give some thought to those things the majority of cruise passengers might have in common.  Kind of sobering.   

On 12/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, bouhunter said:

Sounds like they loved to be pissed:classic_tongue:

Kind of a sad way to go thru life.  But hope you enjoy your cruise regardless!

I often say that my mother isn't happy unless she's miserable. 

If she doesn't have something to complain about, be patient, she'll come up with something.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iancal said:

Don't remind me.  It is one of the reasons we avoid the buffet.  And always take the stairs (besides, we get to have a good view of the art in the stairways).  We prefer to board a little later.  Pushing to get on the ship and rushing to the buffet or MDR before they run out of food for what we might envisage as our last meal is not a top priority.

Maybe it has something  to do with the preservatives they put in the food.

It's definitely because of the hand sanitizer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kiddo76 said:

It's definitely because of the hand sanitizer.

I'm what the Ex calls Anal.(Its ok she got my C&A status, I got the kids). Do cleaning in Cabin of Surfaces myself starting first day. Even eating in Buffet rarely touch anything. Good that 95% time wearing Hoodie, sleeves & feet good for pulling out/in chairs. First one in for Dinner as doors open to WJ so even when serving self no Passengers have touched anything before me.... Washing hands works better then Sani, but can't hurt

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1