Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

You know nuclear power is suitable for desalination.

I think it is time this country caught up with the rest of the world and adopted nuclear. I have been doing research and it looks like all of Europe, North America (USA and Canada), China, Japan and multiple other countries use nuclear power. Many are expanding their nuclear generation to work with renewable power generation. At present Britain relies on about 16% of nuclear for their power, that is pretty much standard through Europe and France uses about 75% nuclear power. It is cheaper and cleaner than coal. Apparently coal is the most harmful and toxic power the plant has. The discharged coal ash will pollute waterways and the environment much worst than nuclear waste.

If people want to talk about the power to run desalination plants, well nuclear would solve that problem and still have enough to go around. We could shut down all our coal fired power plants and have less nuclear reactors or small modular ones and be in a better picture.

Sadly for years the extremist greens and loonie left have been demonising nuclear like saying its too expensive (nothing is too expensive to save the planet from extinction), then there is the Fukushima myth (no one has died as a result of nuclear fallout or radiation), then there is radiation (we are getting more radiation from the sun, wi-fi, telecommunications towers, electro-magentic  radiation), then there is Chernobyl (well that was a crackpot workers fault. If you sat in your car with the foot on the pedal to the floor with the engine running then sooner or later it will blow too). To date nuclear is proven to be the safest power supply in the world. There are actually more deaths per year from living with coal fired power than nuclear.

People talk about fires and global warming. Nuclear would cut all our carbon emissions. In my opinion the fires started as a result of decades of mismanagement, lack of prevention burns, the severity of the drought combined with a warming planet. It was a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

You know nuclear power is suitable for desalination.

While I do think nuclear energy needs to be considered the one problem about nuclear energy is that it needs a lot of purified water to cool a reactor so I do wonder if it won't end up increasing pressure on water supply rather than reducing it🤔

10 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Thank you Mic for your answer.
Seems our problems in Aus are unchanging - regardless of what the media and polies say - we still need power & water 🤔

Yep, sometimes the effort and cost is worth it, sometimes it isn't but hopefully the technology will improve, the costs and effort will reduce and the benefits will be paramount.

• Like 1

We've had 8.6 mm in our rain gauge since yesterday as the storms came through. We were hit by large hailstones which caused a fair bit of damage to our carport roof which has sheets of laser light in it to let in light. Theses sheets are now full of holes so there was a bit of cleaning up to do after the storm passed but nothing like some properties received further north of us. Interestingly the Melbourne Water official rain gauge in the next suburb recorded no rain at all. 

I hope all the regions which need rain desperately do get it!

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

We've had 8.6 mm in our rain gauge since yesterday as the storms came through. We were hit by large hailstones which caused a fair bit of damage to our carport roof which has sheets of laser light in it to let in light. Theses sheets are now full of holes so there was a bit of cleaning up to do after the storm passed but nothing like some properties received further north of us. Interestingly the Melbourne Water official rain gauge in the next suburb recorded no rain at all. 

Leigh

Hail and laser light do not play nicely.

over my side, we had lots of rumbling and a few showers. Nothing much measured.

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Hail and laser light do not play nicely.

over my side, we had lots of rumbling and a few showers. Nothing much measured.

No they do not! We have had laser light sheets for a while and plenty of hail at times but not the size it was yesterday. I recorded the storm from my front door which looks onto the carport. The noise of the hail hitting the roof was incredibly loud. We had the thunder for some time and when it seemed to be closer and storm warnings were coming up on our mobiles my husband thought he should put his ute under cover which was probably lucky. Fortunately we have metal sheets over the two vehicles so they were ok. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Bugger about the damage Leigh,  we have had a fair bit of rain here, but no hail yet.

Cold Chisel at Hope Estate in the Hunter was wet and drizzly on Saturday night, it was a light drizzle all night, but we had fun, were soaked and muddy on our walk back to the car.

It's such a bad place to see any artist, every time we go I swear I will not return haha!! 

Cannot take chairs, food, drink, umbrellas, large bags etc, food and drink is $$$$

2 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Bugger about the damage Leigh,  we have had a fair bit of rain here, but no hail yet.

Cold Chisel at Hope Estate in the Hunter was wet and drizzly on Saturday night, it was a light drizzle all night, but we had fun, were soaked and muddy on our walk back to the car.

It's such a bad place to see any artist, every time we go I swear I will not return haha!! 

Cannot take chairs, food, drink, umbrellas, large bags etc, food and drink is $$$$

I wonder why the gigs continue to be held there, perhaps people should boycott! But glad you had fun. 

The Red Hot Summer Tour with the Angels, Hunters and Collectors and a few other acts that I can't remember was held on the Mornington Peninisula at the weekend. Saturday was a beautiful day so it went well. It was held at Mornington Racecourse and people could take their own chairs in, not sure about bags etc. Yesterday, the racecourse was evacuated as it was feared the storm would hit there but in the end it went around the venue. Tickets are being refunded.

Leigh

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I wonder why the gigs continue to be held there, perhaps people should boycott! But glad you had fun. 

The Red Hot Summer Tour with the Angels, Hunters and Collectors and a few other acts that I can't remember was held on the Mornington Peninisula at the weekend. Saturday was a beautiful day so it went well. It was held at Mornington Racecourse and people could take their own chairs in, not sure about bags etc. Yesterday, the racecourse was evacuated as it was feared the storm would hit there but in the end it went around the venue. Tickets are being refunded.

Leigh

Red Hot Summer tour is here in Port Macquarie soon too, can take chairs etc.

I am too old to sit on a rug for 4 hours before the main band haha!!

A bottle of red, two beers and a serve  of hot chips to share.........$70🙄

Anyway, the rain was great, not pouring, but everyone was dancing in the rain to Cold Chisel and throwingmoney in the buckets going around for the fires, what could be more Australian!!

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Anyway, the rain was great, not pouring, but everyone was dancing in the rain to Cold Chisel and throwingmoney in the buckets going around for the fires, what could be more Australian!!

Very Australian! I couldn't sit on a rug for 4 hours either, I'd never get up! But then probably couldn't stand for that long either. I have to take a chair to my grandsons' cricket and football matches too. These venues do know how to charge! But I hope you enjoyed the red!

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Haha 1

nsw gov instead of spending around 1.5 billion on a useless cruise port in botany needs to safe guard the Sydney with water … build another desal plant if needed they could of probably done so , and for goodness sake don't bloody sell it off like they have to the one we have now ..  and that's the whole prob we have in Australia , everything gets sold off .

doesn't matter what price you have to safe guard drinking supply it has to be done . there are no alternatives … the stupid thing is they will still allow these developers to build more concrete jungles and over crowd Sydney  .. Sydney was once a nice place but now we have so many ugly looking high rise building all over the place almost built on top of each other looks like crap .. look at most countries with concrete jungles and they are gettos with no go zones .. we just have about the dumbest politicians and media in the world ..any company gives the politician 20 bucks and they can build or destroy anything they want ..only one way to look at it the country is going down the shitter real fast 

50 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Did they charge you 18% gratuity on top?

just to make you feel like cruise prices.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

You can have an infinite amount of storage, but if there isn't supply, that storage is going to be empty.

We have sufficient storage and have had for a long time, hence (almost) nobody talking about more dams. The issue is lack of rainfall... or supply.

If an equivalent size dam, or number of dams had been built in Sydney basin sometime between 1960's & 2017, presumably they would have been filled to the brim in 2017, and thus we would have 2.2M ML to see us through to next serious rains instead of only half that as we have now. Not sure what circles you move in, but I find many people have been discussing new dams over a number of years.

Nature provides us water for free, all we need to do is collect it and store enough to last us thru dry spells.

I clearly remember Chicken Little Flannery with his 'our dams may never be filled again' story. Since then we saw Brisbane almost washed away when their main dam flooded, and the Warragamba Dam has been over full at least 3 times since then, and plans are afoot to raise the wall again as protection against future flooding. This will also serve to increase the dam capacity.

Building dams to store water & investing in rainwater harvesting & re-use are much more sensible than energy thirsty desal plants.

1 hour ago, in rod we trust said:

nsw gov instead of spending around 1.5 billion on a useless cruise port in botany needs to safe guard the Sydney with water … build another desal plant if needed they could of probably done so , and for goodness sake don't bloody sell it off like they have to the one we have now ..  and that's the whole prob we have in Australia , everything gets sold off .

doesn't matter what price you have to safe guard drinking supply it has to be done . there are no alternatives … the stupid thing is they will still allow these developers to build more concrete jungles and over crowd Sydney  .. Sydney was once a nice place but now we have so many ugly looking high rise building all over the place almost built on top of each other looks like crap .. look at most countries with concrete jungles and they are gettos with no go zones .. we just have about the dumbest politicians and media in the world ..any company gives the politician 20 bucks and they can build or destroy anything they want ..only one way to look at it the country is going down the shitter real fast 

Same applies to power - keep shutting down our coal fired power stations and everything is moot - water treatment plants don’t run without power. We need water in this very dry old land 😌

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

If an equivalent size dam, or number of dams had been built in Sydney basin sometime between 1960's & 2017, presumably they would have been filled to the brim in 2017, and thus we would have 2.2M ML to see us through to next serious rains instead of only half that as we have now. Not sure what circles you move in, but I find many people have been discussing new dams over a number of years.

Nature provides us water for free, all we need to do is collect it and store enough to last us thru dry spells.

I clearly remember Chicken Little Flannery with his 'our dams may never be filled again' story. Since then we saw Brisbane almost washed away when their main dam flooded, and the Warragamba Dam has been over full at least 3 times since then, and plans are afoot to raise the wall again as protection against future flooding. This will also serve to increase the dam capacity.

Building dams to store water & investing in rainwater harvesting & re-use are much more sensible than energy thirsty desal plants.

don't think building the dam walls higher is a good thing as this day and era it was built for  a certain amount of load  adding to it is just to risky with the corrupt politicians and builder's we have these days .. too risky if things go wrong we will be left with no dam .. cant afford that risk.. better to build a new one we can either collect rain or pipe it in for storage 

Can anyone on this site tell me what’s going on in Melborne. My Australian Fire ap may be a bit wonky but it’s saying there are 774 incidents right now in melborne. Are they fires or could they be from hail damage . I’m hoping it’s an error. It’s hard to get accurate news in Canada. We’re flying over in two weeks

27BFD510-3E00-4ABD-93B1-2363940E6FF3.png

Edited by Shayna1900
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cheznandy said:

MY Brother and SIL were there as well, it is damned inconvenient, when you cannot bring anything to sit on and are totally exposed.

8 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

Can anyone on this site tell me what’s going on in Melborne. My Australian Fire ap may be a bit wonky but it’s saying there are 774 incidents right now in melborne. Are they fires or could they be from hail damage . I’m hoping it’s an error. It’s hard to get accurate news in Canada. We’re flying over in two weeks

27BFD510-3E00-4ABD-93B1-2363940E6FF3.png

Shayna1900 - I’m sure that someone actually in Melbourne could confirm this, but the fires in Victoria and most of Australia are currently under control. Definitely none in Melbourne that I know of. Your arrival in two weeks time should be absolutely fine, in fact it has been raining. 🌧

2 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Shayna1900 - I’m sure that someone actually in Melbourne could confirm this, but the fires in Victoria and most of Australia are currently under control. Definitely none in Melbourne that I know of. Your arrival in two weeks time should be absolutely fine, in fact it has been raining. 🌧

Use this link and input Melbourne or Victoria to search

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

3 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

my misses and I went up to the hunter valley she went to see Elton john and been there watching other bands and loves it 

Maybe they could have the bands do concerts in the new terminal at Botany during the off season.