Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Smoky Grandfather port perhaps?

I’m sure they will find a way to sell the setbacks - consider even the potential names of wines from this 2019/20 season;  “Fiery Ranges”, “Smoky Morning” ........ 😆

Edited by Porky55

45 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Very smoky down here, fires smouldering, but no emergencies, 'watch and act' status.

Hope the weather will be a lot kinder to the fire areas including yours Les. 

Leigh

While the southern states still burn, the north begins to flood. Fingers crossed that this monsoon trough is on its way south to you guys.
This is what we woke up to in Mackay this morning.

Rose

C3C57128-CE69-405A-966C-949246069D61.jpeg

Edited by Porky55

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

While the southern states still burn, the north begins to flood. Fingers crossed that this monsoon trough is on its way south to you guys.
This is what we woke up to in Mackay this morning.

Rose

C3C57128-CE69-405A-966C-949246069D61.jpeg

Hope your property is not affected Rose! Great to get rain as it is needed everywhere.

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Hope your property is not affected Rose! Great to get rain as it is needed everywhere.

Leigh,

Thanks for that, we are high and dry and being the tropics as soon as the rain stops the water disappears and you can hear the grass growing 😳

Just hoping it begins to travel south .....

Edited by Porky55

2 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Leigh,

Thanks for that, we are high and dry and being the tropics as soon as the rain stops the water disappears and you can hear the grass growing 😳

Just hoping it begins to travel south .....

Good to hear. I have rellies in Mackay so am always interested in what is happening there. Fingers crossed it rains where it is needed. We've had 30 mm in the last few days but there is none forecast this week. The lawns (and weeds) are growing and yes you can hear it!

Leigh

• Like 1

2 days ago our lawn was a sand pit and just brown  some rain about 5 x 30 minutes and we have a lawn that needs mowing  Mad country.

No smell of smoke today but still helicopters going overhead to fill up at the local dam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

One thing that has happened since the recent bit of rain we had is that the cicadas and moths are back. We have had no insects (sounds) for months.

Funny that - here too, but we also have those big green frogs in the drains singing like crazy   🐸

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2

I know when there's rain coming from the little black ants in my kitchen, thousands of them. It's hard to put out food for my cats without their bowls being swarmed over. Once the rain starts they're gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I know when there's rain coming from the little black ants in my kitchen, thousands of them. It's hard to put out food for my cats without their bowls being swarmed over. Once the rain starts they're gone.

The same here before the rain last Sunday - came home and ants everywhere, probably those on the letterbox and fence washed away by the rain or killed by the hailstones. They were all over the kitchen bench too! No sign of them once the rain came.

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The same here before the rain last Sunday - came home and ants everywhere, probably those on the letterbox and fence washed away by the rain or killed by the hailstones. They were all over the kitchen bench too! No sign of them once the rain came.

Leigh

We have the opposite problem--I can tell when spring is close because we start getting all kinds of ants by the sliding patio door and the kitchen. Mother Nature has quite a sense of humor 😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Obilix said:

Here's a tip, for what it's worth. If you have ant infestations and cats to feed, fill a shallow tray with water and place the cat's food bowl in it.

Ants can't swim. 

heh heh--excellent solution. We don't have cats, but a few years ago we had snails all over the back yard. Were told to fill a bowl with beer, sink it in level with the ground, snails come, fall in and are gone. Not sure if they drown or they just like beer 😁

Seems like a great way to go though!

• Like 1