Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

14 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Of course we do, and kangaroos in the streets and koalas in our backyards. 😂

We don’t have anymore visitors, Chinese or otherwise for the Lunar New Year and not sure why you think we would? 

Australia will be no more at risk from Coronavirus than the rest of the world will be and Sydney is still a magnificent city even with a smoke haze - which will go soon. Look on the bright and happy side of life, enjoy your cruising and trip to our country - all will be fine (or manageable) by the time you arrive 👍

While Lunar new year may not attract more visitors from China, there were 1.42 million Chinese tourists to Australia (excluding children) in the 12 months prior to September 2018. That is 27,400 per week on average.

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Im in Richmond and the air is perfect.

Lucky you it seems the smoke is blowing East. I'm around the Inner West area and the air in the morning was burning my throat and my mum's allergic reactions were going full throttle. It certainly doesn't help we live in a valley so the smokey haze just hangs in the air. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

13 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Lucky you it seems the smoke is blowing East. I'm around the Inner West area and the air in the morning was burning my throat and my mum's allergic reactions were going full throttle. It certainly doesn't help we live in a valley so the smokey haze just hangs in the air. 

sorry to hear that 
It was dusty here yesterday but today the air is like honey.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

While Lunar new year may not attract more visitors from China, there were 1.42 million Chinese tourists to Australia (excluding children) in the 12 months prior to September 2018. That is 27,400 per week on average.

A lot of Chinese come here on tours and while they are here they stock up on vitamins etc. You can't move in that aisle at the big Discount Chemist in Chatswood at times.

However they are screening any flights from the affected area when they arrive in Australia.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A lot of Chinese come here on tours and while they are here they stock up on vitamins etc. You can't move in that aisle at the big Discount Chemist in Chatswood at times.

However they are screening any flights from the affected area when they arrive in Australia.

Not to mention the baby formula.

today in Sydney I got up and seen my car , it looked like someone had taken it thru the outback dirt. the whole car was brown couldn't even see the windows  .. first was covered in ash , now all this outback dirt ..  we sure are coping it here in Sydney  ..  lucky it rained again before I took of and washed it down ..  its starting to rain lightly now hope it isn't that dirt again. and I sure hope it is getting to some of those fires  and farms ..

2 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

today in Sydney I got up and seen my car , it looked like someone had taken it thru the outback dirt. the whole car was brown couldn't even see the windows  .. first was covered in ash , now all this outback dirt ..  we sure are coping it here in Sydney  ..  lucky it rained again before I took of and washed it down ..  its starting to rain lightly now hope it isn't that dirt again. and I sure hope it is getting to some of those fires  and farms ..

I saw on the news they said because of all the dust in the air it created a mud rain. And here I was hoping a drive in the rain might clean my car 😜. They also say Gloucester got hit with mud rain and because of the high level water restrictions they can't just wash it off 😳

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not really screening, as they can't screen including due to the incubation period.

They do check for any symptoms at the time, but that's not reliable, the main thing is they give information about monitoring and what to do if symptoms appear.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw on the news they said because of all the dust in the air it created a mud rain. And here I was hoping a drive in the rain might clean my car 😜. They also say Gloucester got hit with mud rain and because of the high level water restrictions they can't just wash it off 😳

well I was lucky it washed of car is still a bit dirty tho  ..

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

2 confirmed now, 50 more under investigation. hard to control the spread of disease these days.

Been reading about the fires, now the concern for mud down under. I know you will come out on the other side soon, but it is still heartbreaking. read  a story about the koalas and 'roos on Kangaroo Island, lots of concern about if they can ever get the animal population back up there. They also showed a very graphic pic of a burnt koala, got a lot of people wanting to help. I posted some of the links in the comments section of Washington Post  that all of you gave me and I am gratified to say, others donated too 🙂 And other commenters posted other links, so at least people are trying to help.

How is the Hunter Valley holding up? It doesn't look like they have been hit too hard, but my map reading may be off! I would hate for all those lovely grapes to be lost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

How is the Hunter Valley holding up? It doesn't look like they have been hit too hard, but my map reading may be off! I would hate for all those lovely grapes to be lost.

Though the areas of Australia that have been burned are both devastated and very sad for all concerned, it is part of our way of life. 
The Hunter Valley is holding up just fine - long way from the fires. As is perhaps 95% of Australia - though that doesn’t make for great news now does it? Those fire maps are strange btw 🧐
In fact a lot of the country is still in a very crippling drought. 😢

Edited by Porky55

They did a protective burn off near some of the vineyards and now the grapes are smoke affected and cannot be used to make wine this season. See Tyrrell's loses 80pc of grapes due to bushfires

10 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

They did a protective burn off near some of the vineyards and now the grapes are smoke affected and cannot be used to make wine this season. See Tyrrell's loses 80pc of grapes due to bushfires

Do you know why only Tyrells have a problem, or were they the only vineyard that chose to do a protective burn? Sorry, but can’t read the article unless I join the Financial Review. So many vineyards in the Hunter Valley 🤩
At least the vines are still alive - only this year is affected!
Wine glass half full  #NoWhiners 🍷

Edited by Porky55

3 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Do you know why only Tyrells have a problem, or were they the only vineyard that chose to do a protective burn? Sorry, but can’t read the article unless I join the Financial Review. So many vineyards in the Hunter Valley 🤩
At least the vines are still alive - only this year is affected!
Wine glass half full  #NoWhiners 🍷

The Fire Fighters did the protective burn, not Tyrrells. Here is a link to a similar article. 80% loss.

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Love Tyrells been visiting there on and off since 1966.  Sad they lost the most of the crop.

By the way, Level 4 water restrictions in the Eurobodalla (down here) from Monday.  Currently level 3.

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Ah, ye olde Fume Blanc, not partaken of that for years, but had a bottle of Nederburg Chenin Blanc last night, a little dry on the palate.

Fume Blanc seems to have gone out of fashion these days.

Princess have a rather nice Vouvray on their wine list at present which is, of course, 100% Chenin Blanc. It's a much nicer wine than the Chenin Blancs I remember drinking in NZ many years ago, they were always a bit too fruity.