Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Quite a distance from Canberra suburbs, Watch and Act level currently.  I just came back from the Movies, watched 'Midway.' excellent and the A/C was nice too as was the choc top ice cream. Batemans Bay has not reached the forecast temp of 35C yet, a balmy 28, quite acceptable, Nor Easter keeping it bearable.  Would be lot warmer in Canberra with no sea breeze.

Movie theatres must be glad of increased business due to heat.  I enjoyed Bombshell in air con today.

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

Just watching a press conference form the ACT Chief Minister and Emergency Service Chiefs about the fire situation and they have declared a territory wide State of Emergency.

Hope you are ready to go Mic, if needed! Stay safe!

Currently 40 degrees plus and blowy, the fire is 16 kms away and going from bad to worse, tonight will be hard but tomorrow will be stressful for sure 

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Quite a distance from Canberra suburbs, Watch and Act level currently.  I just came back from the Movies, watched 'Midway.' excellent and the A/C was nice too as was the choc top ice cream. Batemans Bay has not reached the forecast temp of 35C yet, a balmy 28, quite acceptable, Nor Easter keeping it bearable.  Would be lot warmer in Canberra with no sea breeze.

Up graded to Emergency level at 3pm, and knocking on Tharwa's doors.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The smoke is now blowing further to the south east which is better for us but scary as we can now see how close it is.

This is from my back yard over my roof.

fire 31 jan.jpg

Doesn't look too good Mic, the projections of fire spread for tomorrow are scary. Fingers crossed all will be ok for Canberra's southern suburbs and for Tharwa and other local communities. 

Leigh

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not yet and the communication from authorities so far this time is much better. Seems the lessons learned from last time around have been put into play.

The 2003 fires were mentioned in the press conference this morning that they had learnt from the 2003 fires that communicating to the community was extremely important.

Leigh

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The situation in your part of the world is very worrying. All the best and stay safe.

It has just gone back to Watch and Act which is good and it seems the Southern Suburbs may have a bit of a reprieve for now. Tharwa is still in trouble and the Orroral fire is about to merge with the second one  (Mt Clear range) which is a little further south, this is the one threatening Michelago, Williamsdale and Royalla. 

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

It has just gone back to Watch and Act which is good and it seems the Southern Suburbs may have a bit of a reprieve for now. Tharwa is still in trouble and the Orroral fire is about to merge with the second one  (Mt Clear range) which is a little further south, this is the one threatening Michelago, Williamsdale and Royalla. 

It must be ESP. 🙂I was thinking of you and wondering how it was going, when I received notification that you had posted on the forum.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Stay safe Mic.  We used to live in Farrer I believe not far from you (before that Garran & Campbell)  Still have several friends there who are ready to leave if need be.

Edited by Westaussie

5 minutes ago, Westaussie said:

Stay safe Mic.  We used to live in Farrer I believe not far from you (before that Garran & Campbell)  Still have several friends there who are ready to leave if need be.

I am in Tuggeranong so not that worried yet although Bonython and Greenway have been door knocked already as well.

4 minutes ago, Westaussie said:

Hi Vera, nice to 'see' you. Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while. Off on Majestic to Tassie next week 🙂 Hope you are both well.

• Like 1

Seabourn Encore anchors off Batemans Bay on Tuesday, I hope the tender drivers can see the jetty through the bushfire smoke, which is bad today.  I hope to get a pic for you if clear.

Lack of rain and firefighting operations in recent times have depleted our water supply and we are on level 4 restriction, no hoses outside.  It is reported our water quality is not perfect, so many like us are on bottled water, hence a shortage of packaged water in the supermarkets.  The caravanners come through town and buy up big on water.  In case it is too smoky Tuesday, pic of the Seabourn Encore last year at Batemans Bay.

r0_0_1134_638_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 12:19 PM, MicCanberra said:

Stay well Les, hoping things will be a lot better by then.

Thanks old son.

Pic of Seabourn Encore off Caseys Beach, Batemans Bay today. She ups anchor at 1700, Sydney bound.

OIP.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2