Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

Oh well, looks like good news coming re rain. Forecasts are for rain of almost biblical proportions over the next week. We can only hope.

So the hope is that the rain will extinguish the fires and we can have at least a few months of 'normality' for the firies & other emergency services, and some relief for the farmers & others living in affected areas.

Pity we didn't build a few dams over the past 50 years - they could possibly store a few litres.

• Like 1

Following this thread to keep up on what is happening in Australia,  We are from Texas and will be cruising to Australia next November.  My wife & I is very concerned about beautiful country and are looking forward to visiting. 

Hope the promised rains are a blessing and aid the RFS.  

Our prayers are with the Aussies.

Rick & Susan from South Texas

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

They are predicting massive rainfalls in Sydney over the weekend. In one way that is good on the other hand nobody wants flash flooding either.

So true, I am hoping for a good long soaking rain over the next 3 or more days.

• Like 1

Getting a good drop of rain here right now in Batemans Bay, 15 mm in the past hour, putting the fires out.

I hope it all clears up by next Wednesday - 12 February so all you mob on the Majestic Princess have a nice sunny day to sail out of ye olde Sydney Harbour.

Edited by NSWP

Good soaking rain here at Penrith at the foot of the Blue Mountains. 33.4mm in 24 hours to 9am this morning, & a further 5.4mm in the 3 hours since (recorded at Penrith Lakes). So good soaking rain, not downpours. But some localized flooding on roads this morning - mostly drainage pipes that haven't been cleared during the dry.

Hope it keeps on coming down. 

39 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Good soaking rain here at Penrith at the foot of the Blue Mountains. 33.4mm in 24 hours to 9am this morning, & a further 5.4mm in the 3 hours since (recorded at Penrith Lakes). So good soaking rain, not downpours. But some localized flooding on roads this morning - mostly drainage pipes that haven't been cleared during the dry.

Hope it keeps on coming down. 

Let’s hope it keeps travelling across the Tasman to the top of the North Island where severe water restriction are now in place

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Getting a good drop of rain here right now in Batemans Bay, 15 mm in the past hour, putting the fires out.

I hope it all clears up by next Wednesday - 12 February so all you mob on the Majestic Princess have a nice sunny day to sail out of ye olde Sydney Harbour.

Good work, I would  be willing for a wet departure as long as the fires are extinguished.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Let’s hope it keeps travelling across the Tasman to the top of the North Island where severe water restriction are now in place

South Island is also drought affected in parts. I'm in Akaroa today and they are on Level 4 water restrictions too.

While having fish and chips for lunch today I was reading letters to the Editor of the local Akaroa News. A correspondent was advocating the banning of cruise ships in Akaroa to conserve water.

11 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

South Island is also drought affected in parts. I'm in Akaroa today and they are on Level 4 water restrictions too.

And yet Southlands & West Coast are flooding 😮 It's hard to understand how it's so dry there when you see all the rivers that run to east coast from the Alps & the massive snow melt

13 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

While having fish and chips for lunch today I was reading letters to the Editor of the local Akaroa News. A correspondent was advocating the banning of cruise ships in Akaroa to conserve water.

Do cruise ships still stop at Akaroa? We were there in April 2017 and I thought they were going to stop in Littleton after that?

Do the cruise ships use a lot of Akaroa water?

I loved Akaroa, would go back in an instant!

19 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Deleted--for some reason this was posted twice!!

Edited by NoWhiners
weird glitch

Just now, NoWhiners said:

Do cruise ships still stop at Akaroa? We were there in April 2017 and I thought they were going to stop in Littleton after that?

Do the cruise ships use a lot of Akaroa water?

I loved Akaroa, would go back in an instant!

Yes ships are still going to Akaroa. Some small ships are going to Littleton but the bus driver of our local tour is from Christchurch and said larger ships will be going there later this year. Some cruise lines will still be going to Akaroa. Tomorrow Noordam and Sea Princess will be here. The ships themselves don't use Akaroa's water as it is a tender port. It must be all the tourists flushing toilets that are the problem so to conserve the water all cruisers should "go" before they come ashore.😁

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yes ships are still going to Akaroa. Some small ships are going to Littleton but the bus driver of our local tour is from Christchurch and said larger ships will be going there later this year. Some cruise lines will still be going to Akaroa. Tomorrow Noordam and Sea Princess will be here. The ships themselves don't use Akaroa's water as it is a tender port. It must be all the tourists flushing toilets that are the problem so to conserve the water all cruisers should "go" before they come ashore.😁

Ah, thanks for that. When we were there, we read that all cruise large ships would be going to Littleton the following year (would have been 2018). 

Yes, I remember we tendered, which was why I questioned why cruise ships would use water. I never thought of the impact of cruisers on land 😉

Could just use the 'all natural' toilets!