Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

On 1/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Australia Merchant Navy manned rig supply vessel Far Saracen, a Norwegian flagged vessel, gets supplies to Mallacoota on 1st January - 24 hours ahead of RAN.

Brought to light on a rare F/B post by a Victorian Police Officer who lived aboard for a week. He thought the crew & operators needed recognition for all the hard work & urgently needed supplies.

From ABC report.

Far Saracen - AHRS vessel.jpg

Supplies from Far Saracen.jpg

I drove along the edge of Port Phillip Bay this morning and could just see the outline of the Far Saracen in the smoke.

She is a regular into Melbourne for supplies.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Well, the smoke has gone from Melbourne.

It has been replaced by rain, hail and thunderstorms.

Report shows currently 18mm for Williamstown. Light compared to St Albans with 71mm and Avalon Airport 44mm,  bits of flooding and the regular fun we have.

It had calmed down, so I was going to go for a walk in the fresh air — but the rumbling has started again.

Hopefully, the beneficial level of this will be heading east.

I am hoping we get some, it looks like Manuka has got a little for the 20/20 cricket.

Yay, we have had rain here today on the Mid North Coast, and as much as we need it..........we have tickets to Cold Chisel at Hope Estate Hunter Valley on Saturday.......forecast rain and thunderstorms😮

Not allowed to take umbrellas, chairs etc, not worried about a bit or rain, bit if the lightening starts I will be heading for the car haha!! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Yay, we have had rain here today on the Mid North Coast, and as much as we need it..........we have tickets to Cold Chisel at Hope Estate Hunter Valley on Saturday.......forecast rain and thunderstorms😮

Not allowed to take umbrellas, chairs etc, not worried about a bit or rain, bit if the lightening starts I will be heading for the car haha!! 

I hope you get the much needed rain without the lightening.

14 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Enjoy Cheryl, know some people who went to the Mt Dundas Estate one at the weekend and loved it. Pack your ponchos!

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Enjoy Cheryl, know some people who went to the Mt Dundas Estate one at the weekend and loved it. Pack your ponchos!

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, will do, will pack those $2 ponchos that get packed every cruise but have not seen the light yet😂

Hoping for rain here this arvo, driving back from town it was 33c and hot and muggy. 

30 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Thanks Leigh, will do, will pack those $2 ponchos that get packed every cruise but have not seen the light yet😂

Hoping for rain here this arvo, driving back from town it was 33c and hot and muggy. 

I think most of us have those $2 ponchos - I’ve only ever used one for the AFL game we went to in Sydney! Much nicer conditions here in Melbourne today and little if any smoke. I hope you get some rain! 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

Just now, Frenchberet said:

Just checked out the Sydney webcam.  Is it fog/raining or smoke today?

Raining! Bucket loads! And from the rain radar it looked like there were some good dumps over some of the major fire zones surrounding Sydney yesterday.

Just looked at the radar on the Bom site, looks like some good rain for parts of the east coast of NSW. Did any of the south coast get any? Pity it hasn't reached further inland. Unfortunately most of the Victorian fire areas missed out. 

Leigh

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

False alarm. Here at Lake Mac we missed most of it. As usual, it (rain) seems to pass either north of south of where I am.

What side of Lake Mac are you on? The rain radar is showing some quite intense rain passing up the western side at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What side of Lake Mac are you on? The rain radar is showing some quite intense rain passing up the western side at the moment. 

Yep, I saw that too. I'm at Belmont South.  Yesterday arvo I left my Forester on the back lawn with the intention of washing it. Black clouds came over with thunder and lightning so, expecting possible hail, I put it back in the garage. Needn't have bothered. Before I went to bed I realised I'd left the kitchen recycle bin out on the back step after I'd emptied it. It only had 1-2mm of rainwater in it.

I have a mate in Morisset I would go motorcycle riding with early on Sunday mornings. Sometimes he would call me and say he was not going as it was raining at his place - sun is shining at my place.  I can see Wangi and Coal Point from my place, looks like history repeating.

Edited by lyndarra
spelling typo

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yep, I saw that too. I'm at Belmont South.  Yesterday arvo I left my Forester on the back lawn with the intention of washing it. Black clouds came over with thunder and lightning so, expecting possible hail, I put it back in the garage. Needn't have bothered. Before I went to bed I realised I'd left the kitchen recycle bin out on the back step after I'd emptied it. It only had 1-2mm of rainwater in it.

I have a mate in Morisset I would go motorcycle riding with early on Sunday mornings. Sometimes he would call me and say he was not going as it was raining at his place - sun is shining at my place.  I can see Wangi and Coal Point from my place, looks like history repeating.

Bummer! 

We had a similar situation yesterday, rain all around us but we only got a few drops throughout most of the day. However we finally got our share in the evening and today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Just looked at the radar on the Bom site, looks like some good rain for parts of the east coast of NSW. Did any of the south coast get any? Pity it hasn't reached further inland. Unfortunately most of the Victorian fire areas missed out. 

Leigh

We got around 9mm yesterday, the forecast is for no more rain until Monday now.