Sunrise wins best refurbished ship of 2019

jimbo5544

Sure to ruffle some feathers of the Sunrise haters, I saw this post this morning.  The Carnival Sunrise wins best refurbished ship for 2019 against some tough competition.  Congrats to the Carnival team and the builder for taking a tired Triumph and reemerging as the Sunrise.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-sunrise-wins-best-cruise-ship-refurbishment-of-2019/36520

• Like 4

No more theater. The Multi Purpose Liquid Lounge is call that. Why? Because of all the spilled drinks with no place to put them but on the floor. Uncomfortable chairs to sit in. Do you know if you have a problem with stairs you will in there. They increased the angle. More vertical so tougher to go up. That is where they still have the arms with the seating to hold a drink. Glad they did not remove them also. So you enter one deck up and walk down. Walk down to leave. Easier on the legs.

We enjoyed every moment on our 8 day in September on her!

As for the shows we sat in the same seats the whole cruise, Entered from deck 5 Starboard, down a few steps and great view.

My drinks don't last long enough to spill them.

• Like 1

We enjoyed our B2B cruises on her in September even though we didn't make it to Bermuda the first week. Does she have some flaws? Absolutely, but not deal breakers for us. Back on her in May for a 9 day Journeys cruise. 😎

• Like 6

9 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Hopefully they iron out the kinks when they refurbish the Victory into the Radiance.

Why fix something that award winning? (Cynicism)

What did she go against and is this award worth anything? - Just asking.

I was not a big fan of hers but if they had a few less people on it when I was sailing I think I would have enjoyed a bit more. 

39 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Why fix something that award winning? (Cynicism)

What did she go against and is this award worth anything? - Just asking.

I was not a big fan of hers but if they had a few less people on it when I was sailing I think I would have enjoyed a bit more. 

Here are the ships according to the article:

1. Carnival Sunrise (Carnival Cruise Line)
  2. Navigator of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)
  3. Norwegian Getaway (Norwegian Cruise Line)
  4. Celebrity Millenium (Celebrity Cruises)
  5. Diamond Princess (Princess Cruises)
  6. Marella Explorer 2 (Marella Cruises /TUI)

What I found interesting on this list is Norwegian Getaway, which is relatively new (2014). After only a few years they thought she needed a major redo?

I liked Sunrise, and we're booked on Radiance for August 2020. No, I don't like the Liquid Lounge. I didn't like it on Vista or Horizon either. That's a lost battle - the Carnival "beards" like it and I just avoid the Liquid Lounge. Not a problem, since we usually don't go to the Playlist Productions.

Here is Cruise Critic Editors awards for 2019, notice they have a different winner for best refubishment ship.

2019 Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards

Ocean Category

Best New Ship: Norwegian Encore
Best Ship Refurbishment: Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean International)
Best for Adventure: UnCruise Adventures
Best Cabins: Celebrity Cruises
Best Dining: Holland America Line
Best Entertainment: Royal Caribbean International
Best for Families: Disney Cruise Line
Best Itineraries: Holland America Line
Best Nightlife: MSC Cruises
Best Service: Carnival Cruise Line
Best Shore Excursions: Princess Cruises
Best for Solo Travelers: Norwegian Cruise Line
Best Suites: Royal Caribbean International
Best Value for Money: Carnival Cruise Line
Best North American Homeport: Seattle, WA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the CC editors picks are pretty accurate (not that anyone is asking me).

Carnival has been historically is the best value ships and price points. Carnival also is a slightly different product and vibe than the others. You cannot compare the Sunrise to Oasis as  it is two different products and the ships are miles apart. Even Navigator Seems from the picture to be a much better ship than Sunrise but I have not seen it first hand. I was on Freedom of the seas and that was much nicer ship overall than the refurbished Sunrise. 

I have found especially in NY the prices between the different lines are comparable - with Oasis and Adventure of the seas  coming this summer and similarly priced to the Sunrise and Radiance - I would be wondering what people’s thoughts are. We could also get some head to head comparisons from people who may do both. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, repo-cruiser said:

Here is Cruise Critic Editors awards for 2019, notice they have a different winner for best refubishment ship.

2019 Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards

Ocean Category

Best New Ship: Norwegian Encore
Best Ship Refurbishment: Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean International)
Best for Adventure: UnCruise Adventures
Best Cabins: Celebrity Cruises
Best Dining: Holland America Line
Best Entertainment: Royal Caribbean International
Best for Families: Disney Cruise Line
Best Itineraries: Holland America Line
Best Nightlife: MSC Cruises
Best Service: Carnival Cruise Line
Best Shore Excursions: Princess Cruises
Best for Solo Travelers: Norwegian Cruise Line
Best Suites: Royal Caribbean International
Best Value for Money: Carnival Cruise Line
Best North American Homeport: Seattle, WA

One from experts, one from fans

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

What I found interesting on this list is Norwegian Getaway, which is relatively new (2014). After only a few years they thought she needed a major redo?

I was confused by that. From what i read, Getaway dry dock was the required 5 year dry dock for maintenance and the usually hotel upkeep . the only thing they did was they remove public deck space to increase the paid private area they called the vibe

No matter what kind of award there is, whether its movies, sports, music, cruises, or any other kind, there is always going to be those that agree and those that don't. I take them all with a grain of salt and make my own opinions. So called "experts" are not always right nor are the fans. Hopefully everyone is happy with their own choice.