Gluten-Free Options on Anthem?

I posted the MDR menus from my recent 12-night cruise on board Anthem in this thread:

You can take a look at the gluten-free options from each menu to see if they suit you. I would also recommend speaking with the maitre'd when you board the ship, and they can get you in touch with a chef to accommodate you. I think some nights don't have many/any gluten-free main courses.

1 hour ago, gc said:

There is an area at the back of the Windjammer buffet that has all the gluten free alternatives 

That’s exciting! They definitely didn’t have this on the Grandeur three years ago when we went on our wedding cruise!

50 minutes ago, moopetguy said:

I posted the MDR menus from my recent 12-night cruise on board Anthem in this thread:

You can take a look at the gluten-free options from each menu to see if they suit you. I would also recommend speaking with the maitre'd when you board the ship, and they can get you in touch with a chef to accommodate you. I think some nights don't have many/any gluten-free main courses.

Oooh thank you for posting those! We usually avoid the main dining room—not because of the gluten issue, but simply because we don’t enjoy spending two hours eating dinner. We almost always just eat in the Windjammer and I can pick and choose which GF options to eat each night :)

3 minutes ago, NicByTheBay said:

Oooh thank you for posting those! We usually avoid the main dining room—not because of the gluten issue, but simply because we don’t enjoy spending two hours eating dinner. We almost always just eat in the Windjammer and I can pick and choose which GF options to eat each night 🙂

The back area of the WJ where the gluten free area is will not be open at dinner.  They do move the gluten free are to the right side of the WJ though, so just look there or ask someone to help you.  They will make you something to order too, but you will just have to wait a bit.  Just speak to a chef and they will connect you with the right person if you can't find what you are looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Babe said:

I cruised on the Anthem in 2016 and they were so attentive to my Gluten Free diet.  I will be onboard the Anthem next week for 22 days.  I can report back if it remains the same. 

That would be wonderful! I was so sad when I realized that their French fries are lightly battered and I couldn’t eat them all week! LOL

12 minutes ago, NicByTheBay said:

That would be wonderful! I was so sad when I realized that their French fries are lightly battered and I couldn’t eat them all week! LOL

They do have steak fries that they can make for you.  I eat them on every cruise.  Just ask them to cook them crispy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last NYE we were on the Anthem and my daughter was on a strictly Vegan diet. I sent a message to RCI about her diet prior to the cruise (I don't remember through what avenue...) and I received a standard letter at how there is no standard vegan menu in the MDR, but they would do their best to accommodate her. The first evening on the cruise, the head waiter came by at the beginning of the meal and said that he would notify the chef that was responsible for special dietary needs that my daughter was vegan. The chef actually came out and spoke with her about what she preferred and said that while he could make something simple for that evening, for future evenings, he would be able to put more effort into the meal for her.  From that point on , after the end of each meal, the waiter would solicit feedback from my daughter and pass that onto the chef.  She had a GREAT experience.  She actually LOVED most of the meals. In no way did it appear as though her dishes were an afterthought. They were well presented and she thought several were outstanding (she asked for some repeats during out 8 day cruise). The only  misses were in some of the deserts but that was no problem as sorbets were to the rescue...

I know this is different from Gluten-free, but I just wanted to illustrate an example of how accommodating the kitchen was on the Anthem.

Good luck and enjoy! 

• Like 1

Consider the MDR.  I've sailed on Anthem with a Celiac and a person with a gluten sensitivity.  When you eat in the MDR and take the assigned seating option (where you can sit at the same table with the same head waiter) they are VERY good about it.  They even presented the next night's menu at the end of the meal so the people with the dietary considerations could select what they wanted for the kitchen to make up gluten-free.  This was 2 years ago though.

Definitely contact in advance so your booking can be noted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicByTheBay said:

That’s exciting! They definitely didn’t have this on the Grandeur three years ago when we went on our wedding cruise!

The person on the Grandeur responsible for assisting those who were gluten free is now on the Anthem.He was extremely helpful to me when I was on the Grandeur in 2017 and 2018.I was so happy to see him earlier this month on the Anthem.Although he has a new title on the Anthem he was still very helpful.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Lenny, I looked for you on our cruise😢was really looking forward to meeting you.  Hope you had a great time and you felt good.

I looked for you too.I was at the Meet and Mingle,Cabin Crawl and the Slot Pull.

The only good part of the cruise was meeting many nice people and making some new friends.However,the Epidural did not work.I had to hold my wife’s arms in order to walk.

I was only able to get off the ship in 2 ports and could do very little.

I am taking an MRI on Friday ,I take one every year and my doctor may try injections into the nerve area.If that does not work I may try an implant.

I am thinking positive and booked a cruise for next December.

Good luck with everything.  We were at the Meet&Mingle but came in a little late.  They kind of rushed us through I thought.  I should have gone to the Slot Pull but our friends had no interest.  You didn’t miss much by missing ports, the weather was horrible in three of them!  When in December.  Keep me posted if you can on things.

Marietta

4 hours ago, NicByTheBay said:

They changed the fries.  That coating is what made them so delicious.  Now they are just regular plain fries.  😞 

4 hours ago, GSRDPM said:

Last NYE we were on the Anthem and my daughter was on a strictly Vegan diet. I sent a message to RCI about her diet prior to the cruise (I don't remember through what avenue...) and I received a standard letter at how there is no standard vegan menu in the MDR, but they would do their best to accommodate her. The first evening on the cruise, the head waiter came by at the beginning of the meal and said that he would notify the chef that was responsible for special dietary needs that my daughter was vegan. The chef actually came out and spoke with her about what she preferred and said that while he could make something simple for that evening, for future evenings, he would be able to put more effort into the meal for her.  From that point on , after the end of each meal, the waiter would solicit feedback from my daughter and pass that onto the chef.  She had a GREAT experience.  She actually LOVED most of the meals. In no way did it appear as though her dishes were an afterthought. They were well presented and she thought several were outstanding (she asked for some repeats during out 8 day cruise). The only  misses were in some of the desserts but that was no problem as sorbets were to the rescue...

I know this is different from Gluten-free, but I just wanted to illustrate an example of how accommodating the kitchen was on the Anthem.

Good luck and enjoy! 

That's not really a "vegan thing".  Their desserts can often be a weak spot.  😉 

The crepes in the gluten free area of WJ are great,  and we don't need GF!  Also Anthem has  separate Vegan menu in mdr, just ask and it will arrive every night.  Dh doesn't eat meat or shellfish for kosher reasons, and had no problems.  I even tried some of the Vegan options. 

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

The crepes in the gluten free area of WJ are great,  and we don't need GF!  Also Anthem has  separate Vegan menu in mdr, just ask and it will arrive every night.  Dh doesn't eat meat or shellfish for kosher reasons, and had no problems.  I even tried some of the Vegan options. 

Are you sure that that menu is Vegan?  I believe that it is Vegetarian.

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Are you sure that that menu is Vegan?  I believe that it is Vegetarian.

Dh says pretty sure Vegan as there are Vegetarian choices on regular menu.

I also seem to remember seeing it on the Royal app.  It's not there for our next Anthem cruise which is 10 mos away, so nothing available for that yet.

Edited by njkruzer