Current info on Concierge benefits, please!

Wishing on a star

I know this has been discussed, and have been trying to read and get a good feel.  Don't mean to open another hot topic!

I have been learning a lot, and since we have decided we might not to go for the B3 cabins I am wondering about going for Concierge...  I think a regular verandah will suffice.  (do you not feel like you get the 'tunnel' effect between your cabin and your sea view???)

We would already have to book on deck 8, to be able to select our cabin.  (except for one single lower category available on Deck 7) So, a low level concierge might not be too much more.

1.  This is shorter cruise, so laundry would not be a big thing.

2.  I hear breakfast (and coffee) being mentioned.  That could. be a plus if the other restaurants and venues to not open very early.  So, when are breakfast hours???

3.  Would the concierge lounge be a nice perk, or just a basic, quieter, place to stop in.

3.  I am reading that it can be hard to get dining reservations at the restaurants, even when they first open, for non-concierge passengers.  So that might be a biggie for us.

4.  And perhaps just as much of a priority would be getting on the one exclusive small-group exclusive port excursion.

Am I missing any other benefits to concierge?

Thank you, everyone, for good specific info!

Edited by Wishing on a star

16 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I know this has been discussed, and have been trying to read and get a good feel.  Don't mean to open another hot topic!

I have been learning a lot, and since we have decided we might not to go for the B3 cabins I am wondering about going for Concierge...  I think a regular verandah will suffice.  (do you not feel like you get the 'tunnel' effect between your cabin and your sea view???)

We would already have to book on deck 8, to be able to select our cabin.  (except for one single lower category available on Deck 7) So, a low level concierge might not be too much more.

1.  This is shorter cruise, so laundry would not be a big thing.

2.  I hear breakfast (and coffee) being mentioned.  That could. be a plus if the other restaurants and venues to not open very early.  So, when are breakfast hours???

3.  Would the concierge lounge be a nice perk, or just a basic, quieter, place to stop in.

3.  I am reading that it can be hard to get dining reservations at the restaurants, even when they first open, for non-concierge passengers.  So that might be a biggie for us.

4.  And perhaps just as much of a priority would be getting on the one exclusive small-group exclusive port excursion.

IMO, concierge is a waste of money. But, that's me. I'll only do them when my preferred Bs are not available. 

Don't need more than continental breakfast.

Don't need a concierge lounge.

Earlier food reservations would be nice. But, the higher level PH et al. still get the better picks and negotiating better/extra slots once onboard is not that difficult.

Laundry? Self serve wash and dry works fine. Special port excursion? That's a new one I haven't heard about.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, concierge is a waste of money. But, that's me. I'll only do them when my preferred Bs are not available. 

Don't need more than continental breakfast.

Don't need a concierge lounge.

Earlier food reservations would be nice. But, the higher level PH et al. still get the better picks and negotiating better/extra slots once onboard is not that difficult.

Laundry? Self serve wash and dry works fine. Special port excursion? That's a new one I haven't heard about.

Agree. We have never chosen concierge - it's either balcony or PH. To us PH IS worth the extra cost, concierge is not.

JMO.

We always enjoyed the hot. Breakfast from room service and did Concierge, for that and some other reasons. On a trans Atlantic we came to appreciate the Concierge Lounge - but this was on theO class ship, not the R. 

just to provide another opinion.

Donna

16 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Agree. We have never chosen concierge - it's either balcony or PH. To us PH IS worth the extra cost, concierge is not.

JMO.

+1 . We have been moved at no cost from B1 to Concierge 2 times on Riviera,  and IMHO it would not have been worth it to pay for it.   Last 2 Cruises were in PH. 

Edited by Cruseforme

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I believe that land excursions open for online booking 240 days prior to sailing for all stateroom categories, so Concierge doesn't give you any advantage for booking the small group, OE, or select, OS, excursions (which also cannot be booked as an O-Life option).

We routinely book Concierge on the O ships, only on longer cruises do we book PH. On R ships, we book a PH.

So, to your question. With the concierge class bookings, I have always gotten my first choice bookings in the Specialty restaurants. Always. Not true for those booking later in lower suites.

On sea days, I enjoy using the Spa Terrace.   Quite, comfortable, and with out all crowds and chair hogs you can read recent threads about!

We cruise for the ports. On port days we are off the ship and don’t return until near all aboard. On days when we have questionable lunch plans, having the availability of a full hot breakfast is wonderful, especially in the cooler climates.

Procedures change. In the past, for an extra Specialty reservation, one made the request at the 5th deck table for such, and you’d be notified around 14:00 if you got your request. PH and above typically use their Butler for this, but some refuse the use of a Butler for any purpose. Being awarded the extra reservation was based on (a) a pecking order of cabin level and (b) the number of extra nights you had already received. “ A” cabins are lower in the pecking order than PH and above, but higher than B,C, D etc. On longer cruises, 15+ days, this isn’t a big deal in that there will be plenty of opportunities. On cruises 12 days and less it matters, especially on a full ship.

We never take advantage of it ( if it’s actually an advantage) but Concierge does get earlier boarding times and their cabins are ready for occupancy sooner than lower class cabins.

On sea days, I occasionally enjoy sitting in the Concierge or Executive Lounge and reading real newspapers and catching up on world events. Not overly impressed with the squawk box news options in the cabins. I also know that some coming back from tours after the Terrace closes for lunch, enjoy the Lounges for an easy light snack in lieu of fighting the hordes at Waves.

If you’re running late in the morning, the Lounge is a great place to grap a cappuccino and pastry as you head out for your tour.

As you can see, we believe a Concierge cabin is worth, and we never turn down the included bottle of bubbly even if it is Germain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rebels82 said:

We will be doing our first Concierge cabin in 3 weeks on Sirena. How will we know when our cabin is ready (since it will be before most of the other cabins)? Thanks.

There are ship wide announcements as each category is ready.

Thanks everyone!

Okay,  so Concierge will not help get us earlier booking for shore excursions with limited small-group availability...

That was one thing that I thought might be helpful. Once that excursion is booked full, it is full...   If Concierge does not get early access for booking,  then less benefit for us.

I agree that I do not need hot room service breakfast...  laundry...  early access to our cabin.

The T-pool on the Spa Terrace might be nice.   (But, after being in the beautiful semi-covered Sanctuary on Princess...  would probably not be inclined to spend a lot of time out on that open deck.

This would be a port intensive European itinerary...  with two of the lessor/smaller ports being possible in-port sea-days.

Can one purchase/book access to the Spa and the Terrace Pool?

That is something that I am not clear about.

This leaves food availability when other venues are closed.

What are the hours like for coffee/breakfast,  lunch, buffet, etc...  Are there times when the Concierge Lounge would fill in obvious gaps?

THANKS!!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not really. If Petoonya happens to be a yacht sailor, I suggest that she try an aft B2. When there's real weather, it will rock you to sleep.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a rugged conditions cruiser. Have had the privilege of an aft A2 once, and with a little weather, it was great fun.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

When there's real weather, it will rock you to sleep.

We were on a 100 pax Hurtigruten ship north of where that Viking ship lost power during a big storm. We stayed in a port that night but before and during it was great fun. This ship is their oldest and has no stabilizers. As it would 'rock n roll' we'd slide from the top of the bunks to the bottom and back again. While in the shower the water would slosh out onto the bathroom.That's what memories are made of 🙂

Edited by clo

We book A1 cabins on R class ships just so we can be in one of the aft-facing cabins. On the O class ships, cabin location is not so important. I know you said you probably won't need laundry services, but it's still a nice option to have at your disposal.

We also like our free bottle of bubbly when we board which you can also ask the steward to change to a white or red bottle of wine if you would like. BUT the big perk is being able to book our early seating specialty restaurant times before the B category and below cabins can. That can really be a plus if it's a full ship!

As far as booking excursions go, just book them as soon as they are available and you shouldn't have any issues getting the ones you want. We never have. Also, we have never wanted to pay the ridiculous upcharge for the exclusive small group excursions as there is usually plenty of space on the regular tour buses to spread out.

32 minutes ago, clo said:

We were on a 100 pax Hurtigruten ship north of where that Viking ship lost power during a big storm. We stayed in a port that night but before and during it was great fun. This ship is their oldest and has no stabilizers. As it would 'rock n roll' we'd slide from the top of the bunks to the bottom and back again. While in the shower the water would slosh out onto the bathroom.That's what memories are made of 🙂

Back in July 1975 we did a Norway coastal cruise on the Bergen Lines, predecessor of Hurtigruten, I believe.  I'd seen an article in the NY Times that said there was usually a 2 year wait for a reservation which I wanted to do.  Howard wasn't so interested but he called just to see what the story was and was told that they'd just had a cancellation for a first class cabin with bathroom en suite -- for a cruise leaving in two weeks.  So we took it!

There were not many first class cabins and only six had the bathroom en suite.  Even so, we had bunk beds.  So this wasn't a de luxe cruise!  Most cabins were second class, and most passengers were just using the "boat" (it wasn't a ship, it was a mail boat) to go up the coast since roads didn't really exist.

On the way up north we encountered a storm that the captain said was the worse he'd seen in 25 years of passenger service.  Here's where I can relate to what Clo said ...

I remember lying in my bunk and being tossed up so that my feet were on the floor and my head was on the ceiling, and then reversing ... most passengers passed on meals for a couple of days.  It was a wild two days!

Mura

• Like 1

We are in a cheaper cabin for our upcoming trip, but got reasonable times for our two speciality restaurant bookings (on Regatta). Booked at midnight EST when the window opened.

The last time we sailed in concierge there was an outbreak of noro. The concierge lounge lost all usefulness and appeal then!

Breakfast in the Terrace Cafe is open quite early. Sorry, don't remember the time. But it can get crowded on busy port days. Then we usually order room service - coffee, juice, yoghurt, rolls, etc. You put your order form outside your room the night before and give a delivery time.

Frances

19 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We routinely book Concierge on the O ships, only on longer cruises do we book PH. On R ships, we book a PH.

So, to your question. With the concierge class bookings, I have always gotten my first choice bookings in the Specialty restaurants. Always. Not true for those booking later in lower suites.

On sea days, I enjoy using the Spa Terrace.   Quite, comfortable, and with out all crowds and chair hogs you can read recent threads about!

We cruise for the ports. On port days we are off the ship and don’t return until near all aboard. On days when we have questionable lunch plans, having the availability of a full hot breakfast is wonderful, especially in the cooler climates.

Procedures change. In the past, for an extra Specialty reservation, one made the request at the 5th deck table for such, and you’d be notified around 14:00 if you got your request. PH and above typically use their Butler for this, but some refuse the use of a Butler for any purpose. Being awarded the extra reservation was based on (a) a pecking order of cabin level and (b) the number of extra nights you had already received. “ A” cabins are lower in the pecking order than PH and above, but higher than B,C, D etc. On longer cruises, 15+ days, this isn’t a big deal in that there will be plenty of opportunities. On cruises 12 days and less it matters, especially on a full ship.

We never take advantage of it ( if it’s actually an advantage) but Concierge does get earlier boarding times and their cabins are ready for occupancy sooner than lower class cabins.

On sea days, I occasionally enjoy sitting in the Concierge or Executive Lounge and reading real newspapers and catching up on world events. Not overly impressed with the squawk box news options in the cabins. I also know that some coming back from tours after the Terrace closes for lunch, enjoy the Lounges for an easy light snack in lieu of fighting the hordes at Waves.

If you’re running late in the morning, the Lounge is a great place to grap a cappuccino and pastry as you head out for your tour.

As you can see, we believe a Concierge cabin is worth, and we never turn down the included bottle of bubbly even if it is Germain!

Any observations on booking specialty restaurant reservations, time of shows in evening and shore excursions. Thank you

13 minutes ago, schaitberger said:

Any observations on booking specialty restaurant reservations, time of shows in evening and shore excursions. Thank you

Not sure what your questions are? 

Shows are at 9:30 most nights, with an occasional early show. Booking Specialties has been discussed here in many threads, a search will yield all you care to know. 

What do you want to know about shore excursions? 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Not sure what your questions are? 

Shows are at 9:30 most nights, with an occasional early show. Booking Specialties has been discussed here in many threads, a search will yield all you care to know. 

What do you want to know about shore excursions? 

Thanks for the info on shows and specialties. I know we receive 4 specialty reservations, but was curious on how difficult it was to get another one onboard if desired. Regarding shore excursions, just wondering if any were particularly good or bad. I know some people book the ships offerings and some book independents on their own.

1 hour ago, Tansy Mews said:

The last time we sailed in concierge there was an outbreak of noro. The concierge lounge lost all usefulness and appeal then!   When this happen on Marina in November the launderettes were closed for 10 days.  At least If you were Concierge or higher you could send your clothes out which was very helpful on a long cruise.

Edited by Queen of DaNile

41 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

At least If you were Concierge or higher you could send your clothes out which was very helpful on a long cruise.

Alas, they didn't have free laundry for concierge cabins at that point (5 years ago). At least we were never told about it!