Surprised that YC remains so cheap relative to NCL Haven

pettums

tomservo,

That aft balcony suite on Norwegian is not in the Haven complex.  While the Yacht Club suites, while smaller, are within the YC.

Also, how would you compare the Haven restaurant that has the same menu every night to the YC, where there is a different menu.  Plus it is open for all three meals regardless of port days.

Since they returned the mini bar, I would say no, but it still isn't the bargain it once was. I know it's still cheaper than the Haven, and I also know it's supply and demand, but  really, after spending time away from the YC, it isn't something I will miss on future.cruises. I enjoy the MSC product in any form.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:25 AM, mistertoaster said:

Exactly. That is what put us over the edge as regards NCL. We are not big drinkers. Therefore, the "free drink" package was costing us money unless I drank about 50 Coke Zero's which would make for a pretty hyperactive cruise. They also banned bringing your own 12 pack of soda in case you had any ideas about rejecting the drink package. Then throw in the higher DSC for suite guests and you are easily looking at an extra $500-$1000 depending on the number of passengers. Pretty soon NCL will just turn you upside down at embarkation and see how much money and cards they can get to fall out of your wallet. 

I gotta ask, do you drive a Honda Element?

Don't know if the OP has been looking at 2021, yet UC is very hard to get and prices continue to go up

I suspect once they feel secure in the new markets that the status match will disappear and YC prices will be even higher.

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm not paying my money for their bad website or bad service, I pay it for a wonderful cruise - and they deliver, IMO.

I let my TA deal with them.  Although, after two cruises with MSC, she said no more.  Had to book the third with somebody else who is also threatening to quit booking MSC.  If I ever have to book it myself, I'm done.  I don't care how wonderful the Yacht Club is, I won't put up with that aggravation to get there.  There are other cruise lines.

• Like 1

We sailed in a H5 Haven in 2017 on the Epic and we paid $8424.36. I decided to take a look at the price of the YC on Seaside from our May 2019 cruise - $3818.18. Our booked Meraviglia YC cabin for March 2021 is $4906.14. The price has gone up though we do have the paid gratuities paid promotion which doesn't knock off much but I will take it. (Military rate pricing) I booked direct this time as the last time we used an agent. I was on hold about 15 minutes (yes, I timed it). She was wonderful and patient as she waited for me to fax the DD214 while she remained on the line and we concluded the booking. The pricing for our 2021 cruise but I will wait and see. Either way it is still way cheaper than the Haven and I do not have to pay for the "free drink package".

It is also my experience with both products (ship within a ship) that YC is as comparable to The Haven at a better price point. I occasionally make dummy bookings where itineraries and dates are as close as possible and YC is generally around $2K+ per room less than NCL.  That suits me just fine.

12 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I let my TA deal with them.  Although, after two cruises with MSC, she said no more.  Had to book the third with somebody else who is also threatening to quit booking MSC.  If I ever have to book it myself, I'm done.  I don't care how wonderful the Yacht Club is, I won't put up with that aggravation to get there.  There are other cruise lines.

I hear ya.  I always book by myself, but have been trying to get thru to them for the past week, and still no luck.  I don't have time with my job to sit on hold for hours, and unfortunately, it sounds like that's what you need to do.  

Edited by jules815

On 1/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hi

Agreed

Our current TA has found that MSC land side service is bad--even for the pros...

She has been a trooper when I have sent her back again to get a different person/answer when I KNEW the one she got was wrong.

Got the name of another TA I may try. I emailed her - telling her we are getting ready to sail, and looking to book something etc..She's not responded despite me posting on her FB page and sending a direct email. 

DH and I were just discussing we think they will likely end the Status Match program soon  now that they are launched in the US and have regular advertising. Was surprised it has gone on this long.

And we expect the YC pricing will go up (supply/demand)

Will be interested to see what price pt they put their all YC/suites/inclusive ships. We like Regent and wonder if that is what MSC will go after

On 1/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Dealing with MSC is not fun at all. I cannot figure out why they can’t get their act together here in the U.S. Were trying MSC in a few months but not sure if I will book directly with them in the future. 

40 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Hi

Agreed

Our current TA has found that MSC land side service is bad--even for the pros...

She has been a trooper when I have sent her back again to get a different person/answer when I KNEW the one she got was wrong.

Got the name of another TA I may try. I emailed her - telling her we are getting ready to sail, and looking to book something etc..She's not responded despite me posting on her FB page and sending a direct email. 

DH and I were just discussing we think they will likely end the Status Match program soon  now that they are launched in the US and have regular advertising. Was surprised it has gone on this long.

Will be interested to see what price pt they put their all YC/suites/inclusive ships. We like Regent and wonder if that is what MSC will go after

...No!... They won't go after the likes of Regent or the Hapag-Lloyd!... They have no say on that market level (and I think they'll never have)!... They will go after the likes of Azamara, Oceania or especially Viking Oceans. That is their target. And they can very well to fill those 4 or more ships they are building. Plenty of Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese folks with money enough to go and whom while speaking some English as their 2nd language, do prefer to have the comfort of some basic Latin languages support from the beginning!... Have a nice day!... 🙂

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

I don't see how they can replicate the Yacht Club experience on an 800-passenger ship.  The reason YC works is because it's small.  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an 800-passenger ship which could get into ports not accessible to today's giants.  I just don't think the experience will be the same.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  But if they don't get their customer service experience under control, they will probably not last in the US.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't see how they can replicate the Yacht Club experience on an 800-passenger ship.  The reason YC works is because it's small.  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an 800-passenger ship which could get into ports not accessible to today's giants.  I just don't think the experience will be the same.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  But if they don't get their customer service experience under control, they will probably not last in the US.

I think that they can make an MSC ship like a Regent ship. All inclusive.. 

700-900 pax. Tub and shower in each bath room. 

Agree their shore side service is very poor...as is the website

No concierge.

No real customer service shore side

No wait listing for YC reservations on future sailings....

2 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

...No!... They won't go after the likes of Regent or the Hapag-Lloyd!... They have no say on that market level (and I think they'll never have)!... They will go after the likes of Azamara, Oceania or especially Viking Oceans. That is their target. And they can very well to fill those 4 or more ships they are building. Plenty of Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese folks with money enough to go and whom while speaking some English as their 2nd language, do prefer to have the comfort of some basic Latin languages support from the beginning!... Have a nice day!... 🙂

Interesting thought

I don't think we'd chose MSC over Azamara as we have great loyalty standing with Azamara.. would depend as we have top standing with MSC and don't know if their suites only brand will honor MSC loyalty

We have looked at Oceania and Viking on different sailings and chosen elsewhere...

MSC would have to be a step up and better priced. Interesting thoughts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

I think that they can make an MSC ship like a Regent ship. All inclusive.. 

700-900 pax. Tub and shower in each bath room. 

Agree their shore side service is very poor...as is the website

No concierge.

No real customer service shore side

No wait listing for YC reservations on future sailings....

They can absolutely do that.  I just don't think the experience will be the same as the current small YC experience.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:13 AM, jules815 said:

I hear ya.  I always book by myself, but have been trying to get thru to them for the past week, and still no luck.  I don't have time with my job to sit on hold for hours, and unfortunately, it sounds like that's what you need to do.  

I've had success calling Sunday mornings right at their opening time. My wait has been 10 mins max. Sometimes not that bad later during the day either. Just sharing an option. Maybe it will be helpful for some. Last wknd, someone actually answered immediately. For my second call, the wait was 4 mins. That's much different than my experience with weekday or Saturday calls..

This has been a very interesting discussion to read. My observation was for booking a 2021 cruise in YC in Feb from Rio. 

Thank you for the warning about the status match program potentially ending soon. I am going to try and see if I can get my Daughter's status on DCL matched before it does!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pettums said:

This has been a very interesting discussion to read. My observation was for booking a 2021 cruise in YC in Feb from Rio. 

Thank you for the warning about the status match program potentially ending soon. I am going to try and see if I can get my Daughter's status on DCL matched before it does!

I think you'll may be doing a good deal!... Sort of a unique product for the particular region!... 🙂