As we say goodbye to plastic straws here are the straws that will be available soon on all the ships from most of the bars

theeddie

On 1/4/2020 at 5:23 PM, Liverpoollovely said:

I packed my metal straws for my previous cruise on the Carnival Breeze, the only thing which I wish I had in my travel pack of metal straws would be a small straw for likes of shorter glasses and then a straw with a bigger capacity to sip thicker consistency drinks (for example a milkshake or iced coffee drink) I have since purchased these type of straws from Amazon for my cruise in May which I hope work but I like the idea of offering these type of straws as the sugar ones are chalky and horrible. 

I have a set of metal straws I use here in strawless California and it came with a couple shorter ones that I use .

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 10:49 AM, Organized Chaos said:

Agreed. And yeah, I know why they got rid of the straws, and wanting to be good stewards to the environment had little to do with it. That was just a good PR excuse. It wasn't a coincidence that that decision came immediately after a round of court hearings. I was just talking about the new money-making scheme they stumbled upon. Some time had passed from when they got rid of the plastic straws until they started selling their own reusable ones. I'm sure they realized there was a lot of talk from cruisers about bringing their own with them, so Carnival saw an opportunity. 🤑

and what is the reason every cruise line is getting rid of plastic straws as well as other single use things? did they all get fines and use it as a PR stunt?

27 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

and what is the reason every cruise line is getting rid of plastic straws as well as other single use things? did they all get fines and use it as a PR stunt?

This is the Carnival thread. I was commenting on Carnival's reaction. In regards to your question about "every" cruise line, it has been addressed multiple times in this thread. Hating on plastic straws is the "flavor of the month."

On 1/4/2020 at 6:54 PM, TNcruising02 said:

I only use straws in frozen drinks.  The sugar straws last about 20 minutes.  I always take more than 20 minutes to drink a frozen beverage.  If you drink it too slowly, the straw starts to wilt and fall apart.  I wonder if they would hold up better if they were frozen.  Anyway, I just forced myself to drink quickly.  For me, it was better than carrying straws with me.  That would be a pain.

I thought that the sugar straws would taste good, but they have very little flavor.  They aren't something I would eat after finishing my drink.

did ask for another straw?

On 1/5/2020 at 12:42 PM, Joe817 said:

If I were a chemist, I'd invente a biodegradable 'plastic straw'. I'd make millions! :classic_laugh:

Just like those compostible cups they came out with a while back .no one uses any more 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craigl121 said:

I’m a big boy and can drink without a straw 😀

I'm a man with a beard who doesn't want to drink my milkshakes without a straw. I'd rather avoid a silly looking milkshake mustache while walking around the ship and a sticky mess in my actual mustache that I have to go wash off when I'm done.

Many women like to drink through a straw to avoid smearing their lipstick. Other folks like drinking through a straw to lessen the affects of acidic or sugary drinks on their teeth, or drinks that tend to stain teeth.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 2

It is insane how our society will pick out one random thing and focus on it.  5y from now plastic straws will be back and the everyone will have long moved on to the next target.  No one will notice because there are no reasonable substitutes.  Having to even consider packing your own straws for a vacation is ridiculous.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ray98 said:

It is insane how our society will pick out one random thing and focus on it.  5y from now plastic straws will be back and the everyone will have long moved on to the next target.  No one will notice because there are no reasonable substitutes.  Having to even consider packing your own straws for a vacation is ridiculous.

I doubt that, but you could be right.  Getting rid of single use non-compostable plastics (in all forms) is a very good goal.  Straws are just a low hanging fruit, but more will come.  

Edited by rukkian
  • Like 1

Just went to a plastic free web site. It stated silicone is not biodegradable , but can be easily re-cycled. I thought plastic was easily re-cycled. Ah. But you have to bring  the plastic to re-cycling center instead of dropping it on the ground or throwing it over port. This will work out just fine. In 30 years we'll have an ocean full of silicone garbage.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:15 PM, crewsweeper said:

Plastic straws are a bogus attempt at "saving the planet" and "feel good"about doing something.  Some 9 year old wrote a post somewhere a few years back claiming hundreds of millions of plastic straws from your local fast food joint in the midwest somehow managed to all end up in the ocean. More straws in ocean than manufactured. Some "enviro"believed him.

Plastic straws make up a very tiny % of all plastic waste in the US. All plastic waste from US ever found in oceans was less than 1% of total waste in oceans. 90% of ocean trash is from SE Asia where there are no anti-dumping laws.

Thank you.  I have tried to make this point several times thru many outlets. .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I know that Carnival has stopped using single use straws, but what about other cruiselines? Have RCI & NCL gone the same way? I've only ever cruised Carnival so I wasn't sure what's happening on other lines.

yes they have also gotten rid of them. 

41 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

My question is, what do you do with reusable straws after you finish your drink? Run to a bathroom immediately to rinse it out? Walk around with a sticky, drippy straw? What do guys do without a purse to stash them in?  

I don't know about anyone else, but when I finish my drink and I'm within 5 feet of a bathroom, I go there, rinse it off, then stick it in my pocket. If no bathroom or sink is available, I suck all the drops out of it that I can then....I put it in my pocket. 

4 hours ago, rukkian said:

I doubt that, but you could be right.  Getting rid of single use non-compostable plastics (in all forms) is a very good goal.  Straws are just a low hanging fruit, but more will come.  

The problem is, we live in a society that demands simplicity and convenience. And it's only getting worse. The desire for convenience is morphing into creating ways to make people downright lazy. So many products we buy today are now basically disposable. Gone are the days of TV repairmen or people who fix small appliances and the like. Just throw it away and buy a new one. Society, as it exists today, won't accept a replacement to single-use plastics that isn't disposable itself (i.e. fast and convenient) and performs just as good as the plastic products.

24 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The problem is, we live in a society that demands simplicity and convenience. And it's only getting worse. The desire for convenience is morphing into creating ways to make people downright lazy. So many products we buy today are now basically disposable. Gone are the days of TV repairmen or people who fix small appliances and the like. Just throw it away and buy a new one. Society, as it exists today, won't accept a replacement to single-use plastics that isn't disposable itself (i.e. fast and convenient) and performs just as good as the plastic products.

I get that there are many people like that, but there are also growing numbers of people that see what we are doing to the world an are willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience if it can help the planet.  

In the end, I think some people with willingly accept the changes, some will be pissed, and the rest just won't care much either way.  I think there will be new innovation from companies that will see people that are frustrated and will invent and sell some alternative to the horrible single use plastics that are 90% as good (maybe better?).  I don't pretend to know what that will be, but I am sure there are very smart people working on it as we speak.

• Like 1