Cruise Fashion Of the Past

geocruiser

https://www.cruiselinehistory.com/cruise-wear-in-the-1930s/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zZgrZ1u1as&feature=youtu.be

A look at the past and fashion.  Some of the fashion I really do like.  Is there any outfits that you like?

PS,

Post your favorite outfit of the past.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 2

I like a lot of the outfits and actually have a dress similar to the one at 0:39 seconds in the video (left most lady in dress with jacket).  It was my Great Grandmother's dress and she was born in 1901 so possibly from that era although I always thought it was from the late 50's early 60's.

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Love the look, but probably wouldn't appreciate the girdle/corset needed for the shape.

I once asked my mom why she was so angry all the time.  " If you had to wear this damn thing you'd be angry too"

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Some of the outfits from the video remind me of photos of my mom and grandmother on a cruise to Cuba in the 1950s.

I am also just starting to appreciate some of the photos of our family cruising in the 1970s as those styles are making a comeback of sorts. Except that as the younger sister, I always had to wear my sister's hand-me-down dressy outfits.

• Like 2

Geocruiser, the nipped waist and full skirt was a post-war fashion trend inspired by a 1947 Dior collection called The New Look that literally shaped the fashion of the 1950s. The pencil skirt came a bit later.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MJC said:

Geocruiser, the nipped waist and full skirt was a post-war fashion trend inspired by a 1947 Dior collection called The New Look that literally shaped the fashion of the 1950s. The pencil skirt came a bit later.

Than you for the info.  I do like some of the retro looks.  It might be time for me to try to sew a easy retro pattern.

Good post!

When we booked our Hawaii cruise, I bought the book "To Honolulu in Five Days: Cruising Aboard Matson's SS Lurline". Many pages of fabulous fashions, along with packing advice, etc.  My long rayon dress, printed with big hibiscuses, got a lot of use on that cruise, and the fabrics in shops in every port were even more appealing to me than the beaches.

I have a couple of hats with very large brims.  I wore one to afternoon tea on a ship, and had to press the sides in to get through the door.  

Although I do appreciate living in the age of spandex, Gore-Tex, and fleece, shipboard life just seems so much more glamorous in a vintage outfit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

“Coats and sets” were also sold, the set being fur accessories worn with the coat. Sets usually consisted of a stole and a hand muff, and these were made of the entire pelt of the animal (meaning the heads and tails as well). These generous fur pieces left an even greater impression of wealth.

We found some of these in my Grandmother's estate 😮 

On 2/13/2020 at 1:12 AM, canadjineh said:

I like these Hawaiian inspired cruise outfits.  The one on the right also kind of reminds me of a sari without the long sash.Image result for Vintage cruisewear photos

These are so pretty.  Make me was to get young again and go on a diet!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 9:07 AM, geocruiser said:

I found this one that I like on the web. Not sure what the year is.

Cruise Wear 1957

These look late 50's early 60's.  I used to make dresses like the red polka-dot when I was in high school  in the early 60's.  It looks like they are wearing crinolines under the skirts, and those went out of fashion in 1961.  I know because I wore one for my first day of high school and found out nobody else was!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, pacruise804 said:

1911 suits for travel or walking, plus sizes

1911 suits and dresses for travel or walking, plus sizes

Is it just me, or do these ladies not look very plus size? 😉 

I think back in the day a plus size was probably a size 8 or 10. 

• 8 months later...

I just watched (again) the movie "Evil Under the Sun", an Agatha Christie story set on a Mediterranean island in the 1930's.  While some of the fashions are quite over-the-top, most were Fabulous!  Resort wear at its most glamorous.  Palazzo pants, jersey tops, complete beach outfits, large-brimmed hats.  Coincidentally, I found (and bought) a vintage Lily Pulitzer jersey this morning, which will go on my next cruise to wear with my white palazzo pants.

Such a nice change from my everyday jeans and athletic wear.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I imagine people are still cleaning out their closets, and their aunts' closets.....so there might still be some gems appearing in the stores, especially as they start putting out summer items. (Saw some this morning!)

Love those picture above!  Wide-bottom pants with fitted tops, shorts with matching tops (or one-piece?)

• Like 1