Shorts in the MDR for dinner

7 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Could the short wearing people post a picture of them selves so we can see these tailored shorts and how great they are .? 

And not one tattoo or ball cap.        Not my actual pictures.  But I have some of the exact clothes in my luggage right now for my trip next week.  

C9B037CA-B90B-45FA-99F1-294983797915.jpeg

Edit. ⬆️Oops. Missed the one tattoo 

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

Why would anyone want a fancy experience tied to Olive garden level food?

Based on my last MDR experience, I would actually put the OG a step above and Im not even a OG fan really.  We have opted to get the Unlimited Dining Package for our next cruise.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I don’t follow your answer.   There’s no dress suggestion that is spelled out.  
and your to be extreme suggestion.  Wearing pants down to you knees is in no way being respectful.  
respect isn’t in the clothes you wear. Its how you present yourself when you wearing what ever your wear.   

my point about being someone who’s retired is just that.   Your a lot older. And lived in a different world a different day and age.   

I think stereotyping retired people is not a good idea. We are still people and are as diverse in what we think and do as people your age. I am still alive so I still live the day and age you do. I just look older. 

Edited by KansasK

Recently off Alure. A very large number of men were wearing shorts in MDR.

I personally wore shorts on the non-violent nights. Wore casual long pants on those nights. Count tuxes on two hands. Fair amount of sport coats.

occasionally was t shirts and base ball caps, nothing was said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KansasK said:

How do you know how old I am.  ????      It’s a proven fact.  Older people are use to getting dressed up for dinner.    And I used retired as a base of age.   Not stereotype.   

like stereotyping someone with a ball cap on and tattoos   

21 minutes ago, gdy0354 said:

Recently off Alure. A very large number of men were wearing shorts in MDR.

I personally wore shorts on the non-formal

nights. Wore casual long pants on those nights. Count tuxes on two hands. Fair amount of sport coats.

occasionally was t shirts and base ball caps, nothing was said.

17 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

How do you know how old I am.  ????      It’s a proven fact.  Older people are use to getting dressed up for dinner.    And I used retired as a base of age.   Not stereotype.   

like stereotyping someone with a ball cap on and tattoos   

If older people are "use" to getting dressed up for dinner, then the pictures you posted above are not appropriate for someone who qualifies for a senior discount on Royal Caribbean.

55 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

And not one tattoo or ball cap.        Not my actual pictures.  But I have some of the exact clothes in my luggage right now for my trip next week.  

I think those pictures show if you are attractive and fit you can wear whatever you want and look good haha.

And what's wrong with tattoos?  The social negative connotations behind tattoos are long gone.  About half of US millennials now have tattoos.  It's more of now of what kind and quality of a tattoo is it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/259601/share-of-americans-with-at-least-one-tattoo-by-age/

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

C9B037CA-B90B-45FA-99F1-294983797915.jpeg

Thanks , these couples do tend to dress like that , trendy think they call it power to them ,just not my cup of tea . I will just throw a daggie pair of jeans on . Actual real photo of us 🙂20191205_202234.thumb.jpg.b9435aa6a59d7f3068821501d0944ee8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Could the short wearing people post a picture of them selves so we can see these tailored shorts and how great they are .? 

I would like to remind everyone of my original question....Do you see many men wearing shorts in the MDR?  It  could have easily been a yes or no answer  but I have enjoyed your responses.  With that being said, I was not trying to get approval from my fellow cruisers if my husband should choose to wear shorts or to share with you a picture of how great they are because that does not matter to me.  You pay for your cruise and we pay for ours and I would certainly think that the length of ones pant leg could not possibly take away from that or have any bearing on your cruise.   I really don't feel the need to explain the reason for my question, but just to make it clear, if everyone had said, no we hardly ever see shorts in the MDR, then we would have had no problem with that and he would be wearing long pants every night.  The fact that they seem to be a common occurrence means that it is an option if he chooses to wear shorts on some nights.  

Edited by island visitor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

"Proven fact" LOL.  😂

Cite your source of this proven fact.

People back in the 50’s and 60’s traditionally always got dressed in suits and ties for dinner in this era.   Along with many other place.  Traveling.   Vacationing and just walking around the neighborhoods.   

times have changed.   You scan still look great and not have to be in a suit 

https://fiftiesweb.com/fashion/1950s-mens-fashion/amp/

https://fiftiesweb.com/fashion/1960s-mens-fashion/amp/

4 minutes ago, island visitor said:

I would like to remind everyone of my original question....Do you see many men wearing shorts in the MDR?  It  could have easily been a yes or no answer  but I have enjoyed your responses.  With that being said, I was not trying to get approval from my fellow cruisers if my husband should choose to wear shorts or to share with you a picture of how great they are because that does not matter to me.  You pay for your cruise and we pay for ours and I would certainly think that the length of ones pant leg could not possibly take away from that or have any baring on your cruise.   I really don't feel the need to explain the reason for my question, but just to make it clear, if everyone had said, no we hardly ever see shorts in the MDR, then we would have had no problem with that and he would be wearing long pants every night.  The fact that they seem to be a common occurrence means that it is an option if he chooses to wear shorts on some nights.  

Well said.    

7 minutes ago, island visitor said:

The fact that they seem to be a common occurrence means that it is an option if he chooses to wear shorts on some nights.  

Actually I don't think that people are saying it is common.  I think that a vocal couple of posters are advocating for it but most are saying that it happens but is not the norm.  You are certainly welcome to wear whatever they will allow you into the MDR with though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, island visitor said:

I would like to remind everyone of my original question....Do you see many men wearing shorts in the MDR?  It  could have easily been a yes or no answer  but I have enjoyed your responses.  With that being said, I was not trying to get approval from my fellow cruisers if my husband should choose to wear shorts or to share with you a picture of how great they are because that does not matter to me.  You pay for your cruise and we pay for ours and I would certainly think that the length of ones pant leg could not possibly take away from that or have any baring on your cruise.   I really don't feel the need to explain the reason for my question, but just to make it clear, if everyone had said, no we hardly ever see shorts in the MDR, then we would have had no problem with that and he would be wearing long pants every night.  The fact that they seem to be a common occurrence means that it is an option if he chooses to wear shorts on some nights.  

Whether you will see many men in shorts really depends.  Oasis sailing out of a warm port will likely have more in shorts then Oasis sailing out of Bayonne later this year.  There will absolutely be shorts in the MDR.  The cruise line's suggested dress code is evolving with our most recent cruises having "dress your best" instead of a formal night.  What people considered "their best" varied greatly.  As some have posted on this thread, they aren't comfortable wearing shorts in the MDR, others have no issue with it.  Every sailing has its own vibe, see what yours is and make your decision.  Happy cruising.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

People back in the 50’s and 60’s traditionally always got dressed in suits and ties for dinner in this era.   Along with many other place.  Traveling.   Vacationing and just walking around the neighborhoods.   

times have changed.   You scan still look great and not have to be in a suit 

https://fiftiesweb.com/fashion/1950s-mens-fashion/amp/

https://fiftiesweb.com/fashion/1960s-mens-fashion/amp/

Gravity is a fact.

Ships float on the water is a fact.

Royal Caribbean's loyalty program is called Crown and Anchor Society is a fact.

A couple of clickbait websites with pictures on men from the 50's and 60's doesn't establish a fact.  Post all the pictures you have from your many Royal Caribbean Cruises where men are wearing shorts in the MDR and we can establish a fact.  Until then feel free to give your opinion but don't pretend your opinion is actually a fact.

Edited by Tree_skier

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Gravity is a fact.

Ships float on the water is a fact.

Royal Caribbean's loyalty program is called Crown and Anchor Society is a fact.

A couple of clickbait websites with pictures on men from the 50's and 60's doesn't establish a fact.  Post all the pictures you have from your many Royal Caribbean Cruises where men are wearing shorts in the MDR and we can establish a fact.  Until then feel free to give your opinion but don't pretend your opinion is actually a fact.

I’ll make sure to get pictures for you next week.   👍🛳

as many people here have stated from their experiences

That many people wear shorts in the MDR.   

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I’ll make sure to get pictures for you next week.   👍🛳

as many people here have stated from their experiences

That many people wear shorts in the MDR.   

Get a variety of pictures, young guys like the ones above, the retirees to support your claims and your age range.  I doubt you will see mid 50s wearing what is pictured above.

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 4:16 PM, island visitor said:

I know this question has been discussed before a number of times and I apologize for bringing it up again, but here goes.  Cruising on the Oasis this month and we haven't cruised on RCI for a few years so was wondering if very many men wear nice shorts in the MDR for dinner?

I've seen a lot of Bermuda shorts in the MDR. Even on formal night. Mainly see men in either dark jeans or dark slacks and a dress shirt, but a few just settle for a nice polo shirt. Most of the women wear maxi dresses. There is always a handful in tuxedos and evening gowns. 

My husband has had health problems in the last few years that mean he's a different size every time we cruise. Even if we wanted to afford a new suit for every cruise, it would still be a huge hassle involving taking 2 days off work for him to go get one and get it fitted because he's a big and tall size. We have to travel to find anyone who normally fits his size. The local places are all insistent we pay first and if it doesn't fit him oh well sucks to be you.

He wears slacks and a nice shirt. I can order his slacks online and fit those but I'm not talented enough to fit a jacket.

Because of him I have developed the attitude anything within reason is fine. I don't mind the people with Bermuda shorts or simple maxi dresses and sometimes do the same. I do wear dresses every night in the MDR because I like wearing dresses and don't get to much in my regular life. I think letting people enjoy their cruise their way is reasonable enough.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Get a variety of pictures, young guys like the ones above, the retirees to support your claims and your age range.  I doubt you will see mid 50s wearing what is pictured above.

I can guarantee  there will be people in there mid 50’s wearing shorts like those pictures 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I can guarantee  there will be people in there mid 50’s wearing shorts like those pictures 

There were two guys at our table in the MDR on our last cruise who wore shorts like the bottom two every night. They were in their 70s. I'm trying to think if I've ever seen anyone under 50 wear Bermuda shorts on a cruise. Or anywhere else for that matter. Long board shorts, sure. Plenty of those even in the MDR on younger guys. I thought they handed out Bermuda shorts with the socks and sandals at 50. 😋