Shorts in the MDR for dinner

2 hours ago, jsg612 said:

I know we're all joking here, but i've seen people wear this non ironically for formal night on the voyager!!

I’m not joking.  That’s what I’m wearing.lol.     I have no pants.  And no formal wear.  
im on vacation.       If I get in I get in.   If not there’s other places to eat with the food just as good as a main dinning room like Olive Garden.  Lolol.  
there’s no room for pants and formal wear in a suitcase for 2 weeks in the heat.  
a few button ups and a nice shorts and I’m good.   I could care less about being formal on vacation.    

0642976A-FC34-4899-9DEC-B7B6E41EF367.jpeg

3 hours ago, jsg612 said:

I know we're all joking here, but i've seen people wear this non ironically for formal night on the voyager!!

I’ve seen that shirt at least once on just about every cruise that I been on. The amusing  part is that the person wearing it thinks they are so original and unique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I’m not joking.  That’s what I’m wearing.lol.     I have no pants.  And no formal wear.  
im on vacation. 

0642976A-FC34-4899-9DEC-B7B6E41EF367.jpeg

You will look better than the men who try to phone it in by  wearing a tweed sports coat 2 sizes to small with a polo shirt, dockers and boat shoes on a Caribbean cruise. If they lost the jacket they would look fine.

Those wistfully yearning for the good ol' days of tuxes and gowns on formal night should probably make an adjustment to their expectations.  Both cruising and dress codes have changed in this world.

Back then, cruising was much more expensive and formal.  These days, many cruise lines are catering to families and a more relaxed, beach atmosphere. Case in point, the addition of Lime and Coconut, a venue that exudes the Caribbean, laid back, party style.  A new generation is cruising, one that doesn't remember the formal, stuffiness of dressing up for a formal night. 

This new generation is much more casual.  Dress codes in work places have been relaxed, restaurants have relaxed their dress codes, overall just a more casual lifestyle.  The progression to a more casual acceptance of dress was most evident in my children and how they treated prom and homecoming. 1st child, it was all tuxes and long gowns. 2nd child was suits and cocktail length dresses, not a tux nor a gown to be seen. Last child, guys were in dockers, long sleeved shirts and maybe a tie, not a jacket nor a cocktail dress to be found.  A group of guys did don bow ties with their dockers as their nod to formality. Girls were in short, short dresses barely skimming the bottom, cropped 2 piece dresses, sundresses and such. There was very little air of formality. And the whole idea of the formal dance was gone. They were all going out to dinner and then partying at the after party. Very, very few actually went to the dance. This was all in the space of 10 years and only 4 years ago.

Dress changes over the years. If it didn't, we would still all be wearing long, bustled, Victorian gowns. I can imagine the angst of our relatives when their offspring ditched the long gowns and dared to show some ankle. I am sure there was just as much yearning for the "good ol' days" back then and a longing to the return of their style of dress.

Things change. Best to accept it and move on. It is never going back. Dress up and enjoy if that is what makes you feel happy and beautiful.  But don't worry about what others are doing. You are never going to change them because they are dressing for their reality.  Their reality is not wrong, it is just different from past reality. Just like acceptable 1950's clothing was a far different reality than 1920's clothing of their parent's reality 30 years earlier.

As for me, I still have plenty of functions (charitable and work) in real life that require long gowns, heels, jewelry, and the rest of the work that goes into prepping for a formal night.  Not happening on vacation; heels and gowns stay home.  And cruising is now a family destination, devoid of the trappings of formality. Although, I do believe there are still some cruise lines that are continuing the tradition of formal cruising. However, you are not going to get that cruise for the same family price of the family centered cruise lines.  If you want more formality, it is a price you are going to have to pay.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3

On 1/16/2020 at 1:22 AM, NavyCruiser said:

You're entering a nice beautiful dinning room with upscale china, silverware, glassware, cloth tablecloths,and staff in vests & tie.

The dishes and cutlery used on Royal Caribbean is the exact same as what is used in banquet halls and many restaurants.  It is not china or silverware and I would hardly refer to it as "upscale".  

I think some people are delusional when it comes to the Royal Caribbean product.  It's a mainstream cruiseline that caters to famillies.  It is not a high end luxury cruiseline with china, silverware and waiters in tuxes. 

Most workplaces now have a more relaxed dress code compared to what was in place years ago, so it only makes sense that cruiselines will also adapt to this type of change as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

Now that Pam has retired I'll have to give C&J's a try. Maybe I need to take Pam and my nephew with me ...

I also like Jag's out in West Chester very much - have you ever been there?

8 hours ago, jsg612 said:

I saw a similar top, but it was representative of a Captain's jacket.  This was on our August Anthem 9 nite NE/Canada cruise.

Edited by nelblu

My wife looks gorgeous and glamorous in the beautiful dresses she wears. I enjoy dressing nicely and being proud to be seen in her company. We make our own little cocoon that is not affected by whether anyone else has engaged in the same fashion game.

I am starting to think the real reason for the change from "codes" to "suggestions" is a conspiracy between the cruise lines and Cruise Critic. Vagueness in enforcement by ships has led to countless threads and thousands of posts, all floating in numerous ads. There has to be a connection...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I look at the Daily Cruise Compass it says "Dress Code" but not "Dress Suggestion", and it also clearly says "Shorts are welcome for Breakfast and Lunch". Even if not enforced by the waiters to avoid unpleaseant arguments with guests this still is a pretty clear policy!    

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 5:16 PM, island visitor said:

I know this question has been discussed before a number of times and I apologize for bringing it up again, but here goes.  Cruising on the Oasis this month and we haven't cruised on RCI for a few years so was wondering if very many men wear nice shorts in the MDR for dinner?

To answer your question, I've seen "some" men wearing shorts in the MDR but not "many".  Most are young men, kids & teens.  This was true on both Oasis and last month on Brilliance.

FWIW it's really hard to tell what bottoms anyone is wearing once they sit down and are under the table cloth, so I'm not sure why it irks some people so much.  Generally speaking, people are really only standing when they walk in and get up to leave.

Edited by momofmab

For myself, as long as people are dressed nicely, I really don't give it a thought  whether men are wearing long pants or shorts and a nice shirt. Only once in our cruising have I seen a family, come into the dining room on a formal night wearing shorts. They were nicely dressed. They were stopped at the entrance and told it was a formal night but were allowed into the dining room after a few minutes. 

8 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I think it's sort of sad when the wait staff is groomed and dressed better than the diners. Just my opinion.

That’s the case in any number of restaurants and just about every vacation destination. They serve pre-cooked steaks and the waiters swing napkins around their heads. It’s not fine dining. It’s basically a Cheesecake Factory where you can order all of the entrees. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

That’s the case in any number of restaurants and just about every vacation destination. They serve pre-cooked steaks and the waiters swing napkins around their heads. It’s not fine dining. It’s basically a Cheesecake Factory where you can order all of the entrees. 

Sorry you feel that way. I have had excellent, professional service in the MDR on every cruise I have been on. The dining rooms are lovely, my wait staff remembers my name and my preferences after a day or two and, it may not be fine dining to you, but it's definitely not run of the mill Applebee's either. 

• Like 2

These thread always end up with surprising numbers of people displaying a lot of disdain for the quality of food pn board. Always makes me wonder why anyone would spend thousands to cruise when the food in their minds is no better than Olive Garden. 

Our experiences have been vastly better. Maybe we have been lucky.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, cured said:

Those wistfully yearning for the good ol' days of tuxes and gowns on formal night should probably make an adjustment to their expectations.  Both cruising and dress codes have changed in this world.

Back then, cruising was much more expensive and formal.  These days, many cruise lines are catering to families and a more relaxed, beach atmosphere. Case in point, the addition of Lime and Coconut, a venue that exudes the Caribbean, laid back, party style.  A new generation is cruising, one that doesn't remember the formal, stuffiness of dressing up for a formal night. 

This new generation is much more casual.  Dress codes in work places have been relaxed, restaurants have relaxed their dress codes, overall just a more casual lifestyle.  

Dress changes over the years. If it didn't, we would still all be wearing long, bustled, Victorian gowns.

Things change. Best to accept it and move on. It is never going back. Dress up and enjoy if that is what makes you feel happy and beautiful.  But don't worry about what others are doing. You are never going to change them because they are dressing for their reality.  Their reality is not wrong, it is just different from past reality. Just like acceptable 1950's clothing was a far different reality than 1920's clothing of their parent's reality 30 years earlier.

Cured,

Your post is one of the best I have ever read regarding this topic, and I agree.

Times do change, and it’s not limited to the dress, it mirrors the change in MDR.  In 1990, on our first cruise, the MDR was utilized by most cruisers.  Our Ship (Empress) had 7 course dinners with the highest quality menu and service. Lots of suits and dresses, and on formal night many tuxes and formal dresses.  But think about it, they also served many fewer people per sitting.  

As as the size of ships tripled, the same food quality is multiple times more difficult to maintain.  I have experience in food service, and gasp when I think about serving 3000 people in about 90 minutes, only to clean, reset and do it again for another 3000. Let’s just say...they can’t cook to order for this size.  Look at all the threads complaining about the decline of food quality in MDR over time. I am not one of those complainers by the way.

So if the MDR experience has declined over time from say a fine dining experience, why can’t the dress also?

The speciality restaurants can still strive for higher quality standards as they serve a fraction of the meals as MDR. Since this is a finer dining experience, perhaps a stricter dress code in those venues is warranted.

As for the level of service in MDR, I have always experienced a higher level of service than dining at a casual restaurant at home.  However I do see many other comments on threads where people have other experiences.

Eddie

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

These thread always end up with surprising numbers of people displaying a lot of disdain for the quality of food pn board. Always makes me wonder why anyone would spend thousands to cruise when the food in their minds is no better than Olive Garden. 

Our experiences have been vastly better. Maybe we have been lucky.

It's not about the food or the ambiance. It's about the entire package. Room, meals, drinks and itinerary. It's convenient because the ship is your transportation and entertainment. The MDR experience is a small fraction of experience. The food is good, service is meh, but if you have my time dining it is a circus that doesn't require a strict dress code. You eat and you move on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Tonight’s MDR attire.     And the room was filed with gentlemen with shorts.       Shorts worn all week in the MDR.  

DA6C7776-A4C7-4E7F-8523-27EB32097F1F.jpeg

On 1/16/2020 at 1:27 PM, Ptroxx said:

And not one tattoo or ball cap.        Not my actual pictures.  But I have some of the exact clothes in my luggage right now for my trip next week.  

C9B037CA-B90B-45FA-99F1-294983797915.jpeg

Edit. ⬆️Oops. Missed the one tattoo 

Your cargo shorts and shirt look good to me. 👍 I have cargo shorts like the pair you're wearing and in other colors that I also take on cruises. But the cargo shorts you are wearing are not what you said you packed in your luggage for your cruise. Are you posting more pictures showing the style of shorts in the pictures you provided you packed? 

Edited by davekathy

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

Your cargo shorts and shirt look good to me. 👍 I have cargo shorts like the pair you're wearing and in other colors that I also take on cruises. But the cargo shorts you are wearing are not what you said you packed in your luggage for your cruise. Are you posting more pictures showing the style of shorts in the pictures you provided you packed? 

I have 12 pair of shorts and 7 button up shirts with me for my 3 week trip( week on ship and 2 weeks in Florida) so yes I have what’s in the picture plus we’re only at day 5. But here’s a few from one packing cube.   
I have only 1 pair of pants with me.  And have eaten in the main dinning room every night.    
the pants(jeans) are for my flight home back to Cali at some point as it was 34 when I left a week ago and excepted to be in the 50’ when return.       

9FC574B2-6757-422D-83D9-6860D3C17934.jpeg

7442B6D7-3568-4E3A-BCD5-43D36497F2A7.jpeg

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I think it's sort of sad when the wait staff is groomed and dressed better than the diners. Just my opinion.

If you want to wear one size fits all polyester clothes like the wait staff, go for it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have honestly never understood how what one person wears affects another.  If the Maitre D allows someone into the dining room, regardless of what they are wearing, then it is approved.  It is not going to lessen my experience or am I missing something?

Edited by TomAndJane
  • Like 1