Sailing with non-enhanced driver's license?

Qchell

On 1/24/2020 at 7:55 PM, SERK said:

Just use a passport.  They good for 10 years for a cost of about $15 a year.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, coevan said:

I was just going to post this, the gold standard for ID

But this is a Carnival thread, where there are a certain percentage  of  cruisers that line up on the last day to remove their  gratuities in order to save money.  Another way to save money is by not buying a passport and getting by as cheap as possible.  Maybe they'll learn if they miss the ship and can't get back in the country without having to jump through hoops because  they didn't  have a passport.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

But this is a Carnival thread, where there are a certain percentage  of  cruisers that line up on the last day to remove their  gratuities in order to save money.  Another way to save money is by not buying a passport and getting by as cheap as possible.  Maybe they'll learn if they miss the ship and can't get back in the country without having to jump through hoops because  they didn't  have a passport.

Do I detect some bashing here?

14 hours ago, Mslynn79 said:

Interestingly, these were the same requirements to get my Real ID in California - the same exact documents (and actually 2 different categories of proof of residency). So while my state doesn't offer an EDL, it sounds like my Real ID is actually just as secure.

Yes, it is secure but the EDL is the equivalent of a passport card in that it proves identity and citizenship in one document (and EDL's have the same background checks done on them as passports/passport cards do, REAL ID's don't).

Edited by sparks1093

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

And if they do it's on them. The law gives them a valid choice and for some it makes sense, for others it doesn't. Missing the ship is something that is easily avoided, millions manage to not miss the ship every year😉.

And to return to the OP's question any government issued photo ID will work, so if someone has an ID issued by the town they work for, it is acceptable. Public school ID's are acceptable (as far as I know that's still in the FAQ). Given this then it's safe to say that a non-REAL ID compliant license would be acceptable also since it is a government issued photo ID.

14 hours ago, SeaScout said:

I completely agree.  I will be renewing my DL within a year or so.  I'm at a loss to explain why my Passport isn't sufficient form of ID to get an enhanced DL?  I will also need to supply other documentation, (utility bills and other such nonsense) in addition to my passport, to get an ID that my passport works just as well as.  It confuses me. 

For the DMV you also need to prove that you are a resident of the state, hence the utility bills.

13 hours ago, coevan said:

Of course it is, it's the gold standard of ID

Gold standard of travel ID, yes, but it's not an acceptable ID around here to purchase alcohol or tobacco so it isn't the gold standard overall.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, Qchell said:

I am good to go.  The info was down below the list of documents you can travel with in a separate paragraph which mentions that a birth certificate and government issue ID would work too.  

We keep meaning to get passports and just keep putting it off.  With all these changes to travel documentation and all these different types of driver's licenses, it's time to just take a day and go down to get actual passports and it truly is the smartest thing to travel with.  

It really is!  Passports are the golden standard for identification especially for unexpected air travel overseas (you miss the ship in a foreign port).  We already have the Enhanced Driver's license (from Florida), Military Retired ID cards and, of course, our passports.

2 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

It really is!  Passports are the golden standard for identification especially for unexpected air travel overseas (you miss the ship in a foreign port).  We already have the Enhanced Driver's license (from Florida), Military Retired ID cards and, of course, our passports.

But of course Florida doesn't issue Enhanced Drivers Licenses. Using inexact terms just adds to the confusion.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:10 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Yup! I had to dig mine out of my safe! I’m retired and haven’t shown it for years! Also, my passport, current DL, and proof of residency (utility bill). It cost me $94, and my hubby’s was $194 because it was a commercial EDL.

I had to show the same documents for my REAL ID in Virginia.  Actually 2 proofs of residency.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

But of course Florida doesn't issue Enhanced Drivers Licenses. Using inexact terms just adds to the confusion.

This. Along with blanket statements such as everyone will need a Real ID drivers license—not if you have a passport—or passport is the gold standard of ID—maybe for international travel but not accepted in my state for obtaining EDL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

For the DMV you also need to prove that you are a resident of the state, hence the utility bills.

Gold standard of travel ID, yes, but it's not an acceptable ID around here to purchase alcohol or tobacco so it isn't the gold standard overall.

I have to disagree, maybe the liquor store clerk never has seen a passport. However it is perfectly acceptable ID. What if someone from another country was here on vacation and do not have a drivers license. Do you think they will not be able to buy liquor or cigarettes? 

1 hour ago, coevan said:

I have to disagree, maybe the liquor store clerk never has seen a passport. However it is perfectly acceptable ID. What if someone from another country was here on vacation and do not have a drivers license. Do you think they will not be able to buy liquor or cigarettes? 

You may disagree all you want the but some stores don't accept them (there is official signage in the stores stating they aren't accepted). I'm not sure why, but it's not the store clerk that's rejecting them because they don't recognize them. (Military IDs are also not accepted by many stores for the same purchases, again, not sure why.)

I do not understand why this is such a confusing topic for so many.

Here is the run down.....the states in general did a horrible job confirming identities before issuing DL's.  People were getting ID's in whatever name they presented using documents that were marginal documents at best.  Some states were so lax they became havens for issuing DL's to those who are not even in this country legally.  Due to that the Feds created the Real ID standard forcing states to verify identity using a prescribed set of reliable documents.  They further mandated this be the new standard for the ID to be valid for use for some forms of travel and at Fed facilities.

Now, on to EDL's.  They are a more secure document surpassing the Real ID standard.  They act as a DL and passport card all in one, identity and citizenship together.  Only 5 states issues these types of ID's that border Canada because the intent was to allow those who lived on the border to travel into Canada without taking their passport because crossing the border is such a common occurrence for those citizens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ray98 said:

I do not understand why this is such a confusing topic for so many.

Here is the run down.....the states in general did a horrible job confirming identities before issuing DL's.  People were getting ID's in whatever name they presented using documents that were marginal documents at best.  Some states were so lax they became havens for issuing DL's to those who are not even in this country legally.  Due to that the Feds created the Real ID standard forcing states to verify identity using a prescribed set of reliable documents.  They further mandated this be the new standard for the ID to be valid for use for some forms of travel and at Fed facilities.

Now, on to EDL's.  They are a more secure document surpassing the Real ID standard.  They act as a DL and passport card all in one, identity and citizenship together.  Only 5 states issues these types of ID's that border Canada because the intent was to allow those who lived on the border to travel into Canada without taking their passport because crossing the border is such a common occurrence for those citizens.

Thank you for pointing out this part of REAL ID too.  Even if someone doesn't fly domestically, they still might need the ID for entry to certain buildings (Social Security Administration, Federal Courthouse, etc).

On 2/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, Cushing985 said:

Florida does NOT issue enhanced drivers' licenses. We have Real ID compliant licenses. For the life of me, I can't understand how people keep screwing this up.

18 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

Florida does NOT issue enhanced drivers' licenses. We have Real ID compliant licenses. For the life of me, I can't understand how people keep screwing this up.

I've seen some states contributing to the issue by using the word "enhanced" when referring to REAL ID. That doesn't help.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 10:22 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Comparing those 2 things is a pretty stupid thing to do!!!

13 hours ago, zipper1 said:

Comparing those 2 things is a pretty stupid thing to do!!!

It's not a stretch making a comparison of two different  ways to save money when it comes to a certain percentage of Carnival cruisers. They will do anything to save a buck and that includes removing grats and not investing in a passport.

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Some cannot resist the opportunity to make negative comments.   

Negative maybe Jimbo, but certainly  realistic.   You've cruised enough on Carnival to see the cheapskates lined up on the last day and being a TA I have to assume you have had more than 1 client ask you if a passport  was really needed or not.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Negative maybe Jimbo, but certainly  realistic.   You've cruised enough on Carnival to see the cheapskates lined up on the last day and being a TA I have to assume you have had more than 1 client ask you if a passport  was really needed or not.

I think his point is.....that isn't a Carnival thing....that is a cruise thing.   I have been on every mainstream line several times each, you see it on all of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's not a stretch making a comparison of two different  ways to save money when it comes to a certain percentage of Carnival cruisers. They will do anything to save a buck and that includes removing grats and not investing in a passport.

I saved $850 by not buying passports for our first two cruises (and saved $300-ish on our next few cruises), never once thought about removing the gratuities to save money. Millions of people cruise on closed loop cruises every year with something other than passport and I seriously doubt that a significant percentage of them are removing gratuities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I dislike them as well.  Seen them on every line I have sailed