Sailing with non-enhanced driver's license?

Qchell

On 1/24/2020 at 9:59 AM, Qchell said:

I am good to go.  The info was down below the list of documents you can travel with in a separate paragraph which mentions that a birth certificate and government issue ID would work too.  

We keep meaning to get passports and just keep putting it off.  With all these changes to travel documentation and all these different types of driver's licenses, it's time to just take a day and go down to get actual passports and it truly is the smartest thing to travel with.  

ALL US citizens are required to have the Real ID driver's license by October 1, 2020. There are 2 types: one will allow you to fly on any commercial airline and the other will not. Here in Kentucky, my new license was $48 (for 8 years) for the one allowing flying. It's my understanding that without this certain license, you will not be allowed to board a flight unless you have a passport. And right now, there's only 1 or 2 offices in our state that are capable of accepting renewals. Good luck!

Edited by jordanaire

I have to add this to this thread: I have a friend on a closed loop cruise stuck in the middle of the ocean right now. Unexpected tragic death in her family. She cannot get home to her family and is going to miss the funeral because she didn't sail with a passport and can't board a plane at any of the ports. She is completely devastated and my heart hurts for her.

I have another friend who's husband was murdered while she was on a cruise. This was the first night and the next day was a sea day. When she finally got to a port on the second day of the cruise she was able to get home because she had her passport and had taken travel insurance. 

Traveling without a passport can really put you in a very bad place. I am the kind of person who prepares for everything that could be needed and always travel with my passport. Life happens - so does death. Be ready if you can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ricew001 said:

I have to add this to this thread: I have a friend on a closed loop cruise stuck in the middle of the ocean right now. Unexpected tragic death in her family. She cannot get home to her family and is going to miss the funeral because she didn't sail with a passport and can't board a plane at any of the ports. She is completely devastated and my heart hurts for her.

I have another friend who's husband was murdered while she was on a cruise. This was the first night and the next day was a sea day. When she finally got to a port on the second day of the cruise she was able to get home because she had her passport and had taken travel insurance. 

Traveling without a passport can really put you in a very bad place. I am the kind of person who prepares for everything that could be needed and always travel with my passport. Life happens - so does death. Be ready if you can.

She should inform the ship and see if arrangements can be made. There are provisions in the regulations that allow for the waiver of the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons. Yes, life does happen but the risk for most passengers is low and as long as they are comfortable with the risk it is there call to make.

3 hours ago, jordanaire said:

ALL US citizens are required to have the Real ID driver's license by October 1, 2020. There are 2 types: one will allow you to fly on any commercial airline and the other will not. Here in Kentucky, my new license was $48 (for 8 years) for the one allowing flying. It's my understanding that without this certain license, you will not be allowed to board a flight unless you have a passport. And right now, there's only 1 or 2 offices in our state that are capable of accepting renewals. Good luck!

I believe you are confusing the issue.   Real ID.  EDL.

Edited by 2wheelin
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I believe you are confusing the issue.   Real ID.  EDL.

Sorry...EDLs are not available here in KY. In fact, they're only available in 4 or 5 states. But Real IDs will be required in all states by 10/11/20.

Edited by jordanaire

2 hours ago, jordanaire said:

Sorry...EDLs are not available here in KY. In fact, they're only available in 4 or 5 states. But Real IDs will be required in all states by 10/11/20.

My comments (see underlined statements previously) have nothing to do with KY. The statement that all US citizens will need a Real ID by Oct is false. EDL is for citizens whereas real ID does not require nor prove citizenship. Neither of these is required for everyone. You will need one or the other to fly IF you do not have another form of accepted ID such as a passport. Both will allow you to fly. All states will be required to offer real ID.

20 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

My comments (see underlined statements previously) have nothing to do with KY. The statement that all US citizens will need a Real ID by Oct is false. EDL is for citizens whereas real ID does not require nor prove citizenship. Neither of these is required for everyone. You will need one or the other to fly IF you do not have another form of accepted ID such as a passport. Both will allow you to fly. All states will be required to offer real ID.

The statement that realid (or the edl Equivalent in states where offered) will be required (or of course passport) will be needed for ID for domestic air travel effective 10/1/2020 Is real.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The statement that realid (or the edl Equivalent in states where offered) will be required (or of course passport) will be needed for ID for domestic air travel effective 10/1/2020 Is real.  

Exactly my point. OR PASSPORT which was not mentioned in their first post (nor did the statement mention flying). Quote: ALL US citizens are required to have the Real ID driver's license by October 1, 2020. 

Most of us who read the news know the passport alternative, but not everyone even knows there are changes coming for travelers.

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yup... The Mrs. and I renewed our Passport and then updated our driver's license with Real ID, so that we would be covered for all aspects of travel.  Having the passport make the paperwork for Real ID very easy.

Just now, VentureMan_2000 said:

Yup... The Mrs. and I renewed our Passport and then updated our driver's license with Real ID, so that we would be covered for all aspects of travel.  Having the passport make the paperwork for Real ID very easy.

Yes it does

We happen to live in a state that has put off Real ID.  One of the absolute last ones.  In fact it isn't even available in Oklahoma yet.  They plan to start issuing them on April 30 in a few select locations in the state.  They will not even be available statewide until August 31.  Nothing like cutting it close, 1 whole month before being required for certain things like flying.   I would expect long lines in the month of September to get a Real ID.  I sure am glad we have passports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

We happen to live in a state that has put off Real ID.  One of the absolute last ones.  In fact it isn't even available in Oklahoma yet.  They plan to start issuing them on April 30 in a few select locations in the state.  They will not even be available statewide until August 31.  Nothing like cutting it close, 1 whole month before being required for certain things like flying.   I would expect long lines in the month of September to get a Real ID.  I sure am glad we have passports.

Wow that stinks.  Close to being non compliant.  

On 1/25/2020 at 5:04 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

That is absolutely correct. When we got our EDL, we were told by the DMV representative that the EDL is the MOST secure. More than the Real ID. We had to show our passports, DL, Social Security cards, and proof of residency to obtain it. We cross the Canadian border frequently, so now I no longer need to bring my passport to do so.

Interestingly, these were the same requirements to get my Real ID in California - the same exact documents (and actually 2 different categories of proof of residency). So while my state doesn't offer an EDL, it sounds like my Real ID is actually just as secure.

3 minutes ago, MMastell said:

If you have a passport you will never have to worry about Enhanced DL, Birth Certificate,divorce papers ever again. I'm a strong passport advocate.

Take care 

Mike

I completely agree.  I will be renewing my DL within a year or so.  I'm at a loss to explain why my Passport isn't sufficient form of ID to get an enhanced DL?  I will also need to supply other documentation, (utility bills and other such nonsense) in addition to my passport, to get an ID that my passport works just as well as.  It confuses me. 

On 1/30/2020 at 1:02 PM, jordanaire said:

ALL US citizens are required to have the Real ID driver's license by October 1, 2020. 

No, all are required to have a Real ID, not necessarily a driver's license. My military retiree card is considered a Real ID.

Edited by edbro

1 hour ago, SeaScout said:

I completely agree.  I will be renewing my DL within a year or so.  I'm at a loss to explain why my Passport isn't sufficient form of ID to get an enhanced DL?  I will also need to supply other documentation, (utility bills and other such nonsense) in addition to my passport, to get an ID that my passport works just as well as.  It confuses me. 

38 minutes ago, coevan said:

Of course it is, it's the gold standard of ID

I also live in a different EDL state and passport is not accepted as proof of ID. Astounds me as to how the EDL is virtually a passport card but passport is not accepted. My license bureau sent in my paperwork using my passport as ID (along with all the other proofs of address etc.) and I had to further send in my birth certificate and marriage certificate. Did not even have to send copy of passport.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:02 PM, jordanaire said:

you are confusing the issue.  No us citizen is required to have a real ID. You will need a real ID or other federally compliant document (like a passport) to fly in October. But if you have a passport or don’t fly you are certainly not required to get a real ID. I know my state still issues drivers licenses that are not real ID compliant if you prefer that.