Reef-safe sunscreen

shipgeeks

21 minutes ago, bbwex said:

Check how waterproof it is, and how often it has to be reapplied if you are swimming.  There is always the alternative of wearing a shirt while you are snorkeling.

This has NOTHING to do with being reef safe. Your best bet is a formulation of non-nano zinc oxide. I prefer Sun Bum in the white packaging. Blue Lizard to good, too.

Edited by Swampbabe
  • Like 6

I use Blue Lizard as well.  Less safe are any of the oil free, biodegradable screens that chain pharmacies like CVS sell.  But they are better than most commercial brands.

It's really disgusting how sunscreen peels off snorkelers and forms a layer of sheen in the water, ugh!

Some posters used to comment that reef safe was a gimmick by Mexico to get cruisers to buy their recommended spf product, but at least that argument is going away now.  Many catamarans and other tour boats are now prohibiting the spray on screens since 90% of those products gets all over everything on the boat excluding the user.  That makes for slippery and unsafe surfaces, so I'm glad it's getting banned by more and more tour operators.

The decline in the health of our coral reefs is apparent when one returns to a snorkel site after a few years, the contrast is immediately apparent.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 3

I bought an Alba Botanica sunscreen last year and it had a disclaimer on the bottle that it's reef-friendly.

https://www.albabotanica.com/en/products/#/category=sun&sub-category=all&worry=all

this is the one I bought at Kroger.

https://www.albabotanica.com/en/products/sensitive-sunscreen-fragrance-free-clear-spray-spf-50-6floz/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SRF said:

Let's see, it is REALLY difficult. 😄

You read the label, and see if it says REEF-SAFE.   If it says that, it is.  If it does not say that, it is likely not.

Not so simple.  Reef Safe on the label may be misleading. Read this: https://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreens/the-truth-about-reef-safe-sunscreen/

I use Badger  which is mentioned in the Consumer Reports article and which is well known to be Reef Safe. It does not say Reef Safe on the label.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 3:01 PM, MicCanberra said:

Any sunscreen that do not contain any oxybenzone and octinoxate are considered Safe for reefs.

This is probably what you were actually asking.  But it depends on how "reef safe" you want to be.  There are other ingredients that are also suspected to be problematic, but don't have actual research yet to determine one way or the other.  The easiest is to do what others suggested.  Look for "reef safe" on the label and/or check that they don't have these two ingredients.  If you want to go further, products like Stream2Sea try to avoid all ingredients that are suspected as being harmful. When I looked into it for a snorkeling trip I realized that I was just thinking of sunscreen and hadn't previously considered that my shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. were also potentially damaging.  

On 2/9/2020 at 10:52 PM, MountainMermaid said:

This is probably what you were actually asking.  But it depends on how "reef safe" you want to be.  There are other ingredients that are also suspected to be problematic, but don't have actual research yet to determine one way or the other.  The easiest is to do what others suggested.  Look for "reef safe" on the label and/or check that they don't have these two ingredients.  If you want to go further, products like Stream2Sea try to avoid all ingredients that are suspected as being harmful. When I looked into it for a snorkeling trip I realized that I was just thinking of sunscreen and hadn't previously considered that my shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. were also potentially damaging.  

Sephora has a designation for "Clean" products that don't use the harmful ingredients.  

• Like 1

And some brands that were reef safe no longer are as it seems this designation is changing and will be changing again.  More ingredients have been labeled as unsafe.  I believe Hawaii plans to only allow non nano zinc and titanium dioxide by 2023 (if they have not already decided that). 

1 hour ago, dopey1200 said:

Does anybody have a favorite brand? I need at least 50 SPF and I'm open to try either spray-on or lotion. Thanks!

I've tested a lot of mineral sunscreens.  I like Thinksport Kids for the body https://gothinksport.com/collections/kids-sun-care  The consistency isn't overly greasy, spreads well, non-nano particle zinc oxide, and comes in 3oz squeeze tube which makes it easy to take as a carry-on.  It's also easy to pack a rash guard with UPF 50+ to reduce sun exposure.  Amazon carries both the SPF and various rash guards for different body types.

I like a separate SPF for the face.  The mineral ones sold for the body can run in sweat and if you put it above your eyes, sweat, then prepare stinging eyes.

• Thanks 1

I really like this;

https://www.trustthebum.com/collections/baby-bum/products/baby-bum-spf-50-mineral-sunscreen-lotion-fragrance-free-3-oz

Make sure to read the ingredients - not all of Sun Bum's products are reef safe. I have sensitive skin, and this stuff wins the prize for not breaking me out AND smoothing on nicely.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, micheleata said:

This is the one I use..  Smells great, walmart under $6.   Reef safe and biodegradable.

81cOPPfQI%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

It's really not "reef safe", though it says it is........it does not contain 2 of the harmful ingredients most often sited, but it does contain some others.  Basically, you need a non-nano zinc based sunscreen.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

It's really not "reef safe", though it says it is........it does not contain 2 of the harmful ingredients most often sited, but it does contain some others.  Basically, you need a non-nano zinc based sunscreen.

I took it with me last year because my excursions said 'reef safe' and biodegradable.   I just ordered 2 more cans for my upcoming trip.   I just looked it up and it does contain avobenzone..   I had no idea.    Why would they label it like that?

12 minutes ago, micheleata said:

I took it with me last year because my excursions said 'reef safe' and biodegradable.   I just ordered 2 more cans for my upcoming trip.   I just looked it up and it does contain avobenzone..   I had no idea.    Why would they label it like that?

I saw this when I looked it up and I have no idea why they can state reef safe on the label unless it is because they do not really have anyone looking over their shoulders (meaning that label is not regulated at this time).  I did find another few that are truly reef safe, Kokua Suncare which is made in Hawaii and Manda Suncream are two that are cruelty free also.  I will be ordering the Kokua to take with us at the end of the month.

2 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

I saw this when I looked it up and I have no idea why they can state reef safe on the label unless it is because they do not really have anyone looking over their shoulders (meaning that label is not regulated at this time).  I did find another few that are truly reef safe, Kokua Suncare which is made in Hawaii and Manda Suncream are two that are cruelty free also.  I will be ordering the Kokua to take with us at the end of the month.

I will check these out.  Thanks.

• Like 1