MR happy cruiser

greyhound1950

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

So it seems that P&O have sent a lot of emails re the dress code today then for various ships.

I think it is a good idea to send the email.It reminds people about the different dress codes before they go(particularly good for those new to cruising) and helps to plan packing, knowing the number of formal nights and dress themes.I think a few people book a cruise for the first time without much thought about what to wear and I think this should help them more aware

• Like 7

4 hours ago, janny444 said:

Hi....what have they reduced them to....on our up and coming cruise it still shows 2 per week as they have always been

to my knowledge on past cruises with p&0 2019 there have been 4 black tie nights in 7 days

on the aurora the year april 11 2020 there are only 4 black tie nights in 13 nights cruise.

yours respectfully  

18 minutes ago, greyhound1950 said:

to my knowledge on past cruises with p&0 2019 there have been 4 black tie nights in 7 days

on the aurora the year april 11 2020 there are only 4 black tie nights in 13 nights cruise.

yours respectfully  

Only ever 2 per 7 nights, to my knowledge and 4 cruises in 2019.

Yours respectfully 

Andy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, greyhound1950 said:

yours respectfully  

This post does not make any sense, 4 black tie nights on a 7 day cruise?? I don't think so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greyhound1950 said:

😊 Black tie nights on p&0 Criuses.

Glad to see p&o have reduced black tie nights and remembered Guests come on cruises to relax.

I personally enjoy 4 formal nights as per P&O previous dress code 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, greyhound1950 said:

yours respectfully  

Rubbish - on a 7  night cruise there will be a max of 2 formal nights. Your knowledge is, how can I put this nicely, complete cow manure! 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Rubbish - on a 7  night cruise there will be a max of 2 formal nights. Your knowledge is, how can I put this nicely, complete cow manure! 

Hi....I agree only ever known 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise....love your descriptive  " turn of phrase"

As another poster put if you want a more casual approach to cruising choose a different cruise line....there are enough to choose from. I can never understand why people knowingly choose a cruise line that know beforehand that it won't be the " right fit" for them and then complain and want to have it changed to their wants. 😕

• Like 3

Not sure why it affects some people, take it or leave it, I tend to choose the latter. It does not bother me one bit and I quite enjoy seeing others glammed up for the occasion. It's not like you are confined to your Cabin during these evenings? I chose my upcoming cruise on 'itinerary' rather than anything else and I don't expect anything to dampen my enjoyment. It's my first time with P & O and like a kid in a candy shop with it only 2 weeks away 

53 minutes ago, janny444 said:

As another poster put if you want a more casual approach to cruising choose a different cruise line....there are enough to choose from. I can never understand why people knowingly choose a cruise line that know beforehand that it won't be the " right fit" for them and then complain and want to have it changed to their wants. 😕

Perhaps because they like most aspects of that cruise line, but not dressing up as penguins?

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, they express them, and if enough people agree things change. Nothing stays the same for ever, and maybe P&O are now simply moving with the wishes of the majority. We don’t know, but they do.

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, but certain bars, as well as the MDR, will not allow you entry.

Quite. And were it not for that fact I’d have no particular feelings either way on the issue. But I do object to being excluded from the MDR if I choose to wear, instead of a dark suit, a smart jacket and trousers, a proper shirt and tie, and smart shoes. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Perhaps because they like most aspects of that cruise line, but not dressing up as penguins?

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, they express them, and if enough people agree things change. Nothing stays the same for ever, and maybe P&O are now simply moving with the wishes of the majority. We don’t know, but they do.

The recent rush of emails reminding people of the required dress code seems to rather confirm that, at least at the moment, formal nights are here to stay in some form.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite. And were it not for that fact I’d have no particular feelings either way on the issue. But I do object to being excluded from the MDR if I choose to wear, instead of a dark suit, a smart jacket and trousers, a proper shirt and tie, and smart shoes. 

That is however back to the point that you don’t book something you don’t like, it is what it is at present and you know that before you book or get onboard.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Ventura and, strangely enough, Aurora look as though there will only be 3 on 14nt cruises, but Azura and Britannia still have 4.

We are on Oceana in 3 weeks time and we have 3 formals for 14 night cruise instead of usual 4

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Oh come on Harry... 

I know that is the stated rules, but you know full well nobody would bat an eyelid if you were dressed like that and you certainly wouldn't be excluded... 

We have sat with many blazer wearers with tie on black tie night. 

Andy 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That is however back to the point that you don’t book something you don’t like, it is what it is at present and you know that before you book or get onboard.

Absolutely.  But surely you're not suggesting that customers should never express their views to a company if they don't like one aspect of the experience?  If that were the case, nothing would ever change.

8 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We are on Oceana in 3 weeks time and we have 3 formals for 14 night cruise instead of usual 4

There was a link on a thread recently to a P&O Q&A answer which showed the number of formal and casual nights on all cruises for at least the next 6 months, but I cannot find it on here, or the P&O site either.

However it did show that Azura, Britannia and Arcadia were keeping 4 formal nts on a 14nt cruise, whilst Aurora and Ventura were dropping down to 3.  Recent posts on here suggest Oceana might have 3 or 4, and of course Iona will only have 1 on each 7 nt cruise.

These changes would seem to indicate that P&O are willing to make changes if their customers want it, I imagine P&O will be keenly interested in how these changes are perceived by their customers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Absolutely.  But surely you're not suggesting that customers should never express their views to a company if they don't like one aspect of the experience?  If that were the case, nothing would ever change.

Did I say that, no. That’s  why I indicated that it is what it is “at present”.

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh come on Harry... 

I know that is the stated rules, but you know full well nobody would bat an eyelid if you were dressed like that and you certainly wouldn't be excluded... 

We have sat with many blazer wearers with tie on black tie night. 

Andy 

There was one awful (and it was awful) occasion, Andy, when I forgot to pack a dark suit.  I'm actually very compliant with rules, and I rarely flout them.  Dressing up time on evening three - where's the suit?  Nowhere to be seen.  Realisation dawns.  Wife accuses me of having done it deliberately.  Not so, actually - genuine error.  Horror - what to do?  Eat in buffet?  No way.  Room service?  Possible, but not ideal.

OK - dress as smartly as possible (smart but non-matching jacket and trousers - dark red, so in a sense 'dark' - shirt and tie) and see what happens.  Nobody batted an eyelid on entry to the MDR - though I expected a challenge.  Everyone on the table (all lovely people) fine with it (I apologised profusely and genuinely) and thought it very amusing.  Some angry looks from a tiny number of other diners, but we're talking maybe three people in total.

So you're right, but the uncertainty did take the edge of things, just in case we weren't admitted, and it's not a mistake I've ever repeated.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

There was one awful (and it was awful) occasion, Andy, when I forgot to pack a dark suit.  I'm actually very compliant with rules, and I rarely flout them.  Dressing up time on evening three - where's the suit?  Nowhere to be seen.  Realisation dawns.  Wife accuses me of having done it deliberately.  Not so, actually - genuine error.  Horror - what to do?  Eat in buffet?  No way.  Room service?  Possible, but not ideal.

OK - dress as smartly as possible (smart but non-matching jacket and trousers - dark red, so in a sense 'dark' - shirt and tie) and see what happens.  Nobody batted an eyelid on entry to the MDR - though I expected a challenge.  Everyone on the table (all lovely people) fine with it (I apologised profusely and genuinely) and thought it very amusing.  Some angry looks from a tiny number of other diners, but we're talking maybe three people in total.

So you're right, but the uncertainty did take the edge of things, just in case we weren't admitted, and it's not a mistake I've ever repeated.

My father in law did the same, forgot his suit and ties for a 2 week cruise, left them in the back of my car.. Neither of us realised until it was too late... 

All he had was his blazer he wore on boarding. He mentioned it to his cabin steward in passing, saying he would stick to the buffet on formal nights. 

On returning from lunch, a fine selection of ties were laid out on his bed.. 

He was not questioned once about his attire.. 

Andy 

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There was a link on a thread recently to a P&O Q&A answer which showed the number of formal and casual nights on all cruises for at least the next 6 months, but I cannot find it on here, or the P&O site either.

However it did show that Azura, Britannia and Arcadia were keeping 4 formal nts on a 14nt cruise, whilst Aurora and Ventura were dropping down to 3.  Recent posts on here suggest Oceana might have 3 or 4, and of course Iona will only have 1 on each 7 nt cruise.

These changes would seem to indicate that P&O are willing to make changes if their customers want it, I imagine P&O will be keenly interested in how these changes are perceived by their customers.

To me, there does not seem to be any logic in having 4 in 14 on Arcadia and 3 in 14 on Aurora.  Strikes me that is a way of gauging the reaction from those on board.  It is all set to cause further confusion for those booking and so I hope the e-mails will be a permanent thing and not just short-term whilst they implement the changes.

11 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

If people don’t like formal nights why not choose a different cruise line! 
it’s a unique selling point to for P&O that I personally enjoy! 

Because cruising isn't just about formal nights! If that's what people want then they should sail Cunard. We sail for itinerary and our upcoming Britannia TA is all about that, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, Antigua, Azores and Southampton. 

We enjoy formal nights too, but personally think the number should be reduced on a 7 night sailing to 2.

BTW we have 5 formals on a 14 night sailing, and hopefully the Captain's Welcome Reception and the Black & White are included in the number because the email does state 9 casual nights. No way I'll be doing 7! Beach Hut here we come!

IMHO 5 is too many in 14 nights especaially as according to the personaliser we have 2 on consecutive nights.

• Like 1