Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BelloMundo

Celebrity's Handling of their Millennium Sailing is SHAMEFUL!

Recommended Posts

SHAME FULL! March 14, 2020 Sailing on Celebrity Millennium. We were very much looking forward to taking this cruise of a lifetime, but not under the circumstance caused by the current health crisis, the Corona Virus.

 

Spoke to TA, Then Celebrity's One Touch Customer Service, on to Resolutions, no help. Celebrity REFUSES to make any changes, offer any options or edit any current adjustments to current itineraries to Point Zero China ports. Or simply waits until the last possible minute.

 

They just want to steal our hard earned money or force us to voluntarily go into a life threatening situation.

 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/01/articles/disease/coronavirus-celebrity-holland-america-line-and-seabourn-cruises-refuse-to-cancel-or-refund-cruises-to-china/

 

Celebrity pushes forward and refuses to give options to passengers booked on cruises docking in CONTAMINATED  China ports, putting all passengers in danger, taking our money without the benefit of the planned vacation and not being able to visit the promised ports.

 

Celebrity stance, of not providing custumers twit timely options, shows the lack of respect for our valuable vacation time and exposing us to Asia ports, considering the fluidity and fast moving spread of virus, Celebrity does not value their passengers safety.

 

We will not cruise Celebrity again. I may loose my $$$, but I will NEVER sail Celebrity again unless they make the right decision.

 

We offered to swap cruises for safer ports and were flatly refused.

 

Celebrity notified their February 1, 2020 cruise passengers yesterday, when many had already flown out, with a number of passengers connecting through Hong Kong being denied boarding in Singapore, due to last minute measures put in place at that port.

 

This is a health emergency!!! Shame Celebrity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Okay, okay, okay... many of us will get it that you are upset and want to change the sailing or not take or get a refund.

 

Can you tell us or X on what 'geo-political' basis you have to cancel your sailing and indicating that it is not safe based on the port you are embarking from?

 

I Am almost sure that if a sailing is cancelled or postponed or otherwise changed while in-transit, X will take care of many of your expenses incurred and etc...

 

Unfortunately, X and no other cruise line can know in advance what ports may be closed due to any situation, health or political or???

 

What does your travel insurance cover in this type of situation?

 

Also, I do not believe, personally, that X or any other cruise line will intentionally place any passenger in harms way, not a good business practice. Then again when panic ensues, all bets are off!

 

Unless you know differently, I have only heard of one (1) ship, docking in Italy, where there is a quarantine about concerns over the virus.

 

If ports need to be skipped due to this, then substitute ports or sea days will be added.

 

At this juncture, your sailing in a few weeks off, you can either cancel and lose money or wait to see what will happen as far as containing the virus and the panic.

 

I, happen to believe that to come here to slam X because you are not getting your way, currently, is not the way to go. Patience. Understanding of the business decisions in play.

 

Remember, it is not only YOU involved, there are thousands of others, potentially and X will take all things into consideration.

 

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

 

bon voyage???

 

Edited To Add: Beautiful World, were this novo virus, which is common often on passenger ships, you do understand that cruise lines have sanitizing procedures in place to handle it? I would tend to believe this comes into play as well to protect passengers and crew.

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BelloMundo said:

SHAME FULL! March 14, 2020 Sailing on Celebrity Millennium. We were very much looking forward to taking this cruise of a lifetime, but not under the circumstance caused by the current health crisis, the Corona Virus.

 

Spoke to TA, Then Celebrity's One Touch Customer Service, on to Resolutions, no help. Celebrity REFUSES to make any changes, offer any options or edit any current adjustments to current itineraries to Point Zero China ports. Or simply waits until the last possible minute.

 

They just want to steal our hard earned money or force us to voluntarily go into a life threatening situation.

 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/01/articles/disease/coronavirus-celebrity-holland-america-line-and-seabourn-cruises-refuse-to-cancel-or-refund-cruises-to-china/

 

Celebrity pushes forward and refuses to give options to passengers booked on cruises docking in CONTAMINATED  China ports, putting all passengers in danger, taking our money without the benefit of the planned vacation and not being able to visit the promised ports.

 

Celebrity stance, of not providing custumers twit timely options, shows the lack of respect for our valuable vacation time and exposing us to Asia ports, considering the fluidity and fast moving spread of virus, Celebrity does not value their passengers safety.

 

We will not cruise Celebrity again. I may loose my $$$, but I will NEVER sail Celebrity again unless they make the right decision.

 

We offered to swap cruises for safer ports and were flatly refused.

 

Celebrity notified their February 1, 2020 cruise passengers yesterday, when many had already flown out, with a number of passengers connecting through Hong Kong being denied boarding in Singapore, due to last minute measures put in place at that port.

 

This is a health emergency!!! Shame Celebrity!

 

The article in your post is dated 1/28, 2+ days ago.  Things are changing rapidly with cases of the virus increasing tenfold in a week.   Airlines, cruise lines, tour companies are scrambling to deal with this health emergency.   There are people whose cruises are in days as you cited and are finding they can't board because they have been in Hong Kong.  Do you think Celebrity decided weeks ago to deny boarding to those who were in Hong Kong pre cruise and chose not to tell the passengers until yesterday?  I don't.

 

You cruise is about 6 weeks away.  I would keep the reservation cruise/air and wait to see what changes are made to your itinerary or options you may be offered by Celebrity and the airlines.

 

We have a B2B2B planned for the fall with stops in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, etc.  So I know the anticipation of a trip like yours and the money and time invested in this adventure.  I hope this works out well for you and the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that you are upset and I would be too in the same situation. I don't know if this will help, but I've found that Celebrity really cares for the safety and welfare of passengers and crew and if anything, they've been criticized for missing ports on several of my cruises. On Silhoutte many passengers were upset that two ports in Israel were missed. One passenger yelled at the Captain in public. I'm certain that Celebrity is closely monitoring the situation and will make a decision that protects the health and safety of all. These decisions are made at  the highest level of the cojmpany and the Captain, while he has input doesn't make the final decision and I suspect whatever the decision may be some on the ship will complain about it.

i can only wish you a trouble free and outstanding cruise.

 

 

Edited by Orator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BelloMundo said:

SHAME FULL! March 14, 2020 Sailing on Celebrity Millennium. We were very much looking forward to taking this cruise of a lifetime, but not under the circumstance caused by the current health crisis, the Corona Virus.

 

Spoke to TA, Then Celebrity's One Touch Customer Service, on to Resolutions, no help. Celebrity REFUSES to make any changes, offer any options or edit any current adjustments to current itineraries to Point Zero China ports. Or simply waits until the last possible minute.

 

They just want to steal our hard earned money or force us to voluntarily go into a life threatening situation.

 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/01/articles/disease/coronavirus-celebrity-holland-america-line-and-seabourn-cruises-refuse-to-cancel-or-refund-cruises-to-china/

 

Celebrity pushes forward and refuses to give options to passengers booked on cruises docking in CONTAMINATED  China ports, putting all passengers in danger, taking our money without the benefit of the planned vacation and not being able to visit the promised ports.

 

Celebrity stance, of not providing custumers twit timely options, shows the lack of respect for our valuable vacation time and exposing us to Asia ports, considering the fluidity and fast moving spread of virus, Celebrity does not value their passengers safety.

 

We will not cruise Celebrity again. I may loose my $$$, but I will NEVER sail Celebrity again unless they make the right decision.

 

We offered to swap cruises for safer ports and were flatly refused.

 

Celebrity notified their February 1, 2020 cruise passengers yesterday, when many had already flown out, with a number of passengers connecting through Hong Kong being denied boarding in Singapore, due to last minute measures put in place at that port.

 

This is a health emergency!!! Shame Celebrity!

 

Considering you're accusing Celebrity of criminal acts, I doubt reasoning will have any effect. 

 

However, Don't you suppose it's likely that Celebrity is balancing the desire of of passengers to visit the ports initially booked, against the unfolding developments of the Corona Virus spread? 

 

They've made alterations to the Millennium's itineraries prior to yours, and - based upon how they've handled previous cases of outside factors affecting ports - I'm certain they'll make the appropriate alteration to your cruise as necessary.  By your own account, this is a health emergency.  Response to emergencies is best if well reasoned, and based upon a thorough assessment of all factors.

 

As Samuel wisely pointed out, since you don't want to go on the cruise, you should be exploring recourse with your travel insurance. 

 

I'm confident that Celebrity will make appropriate alterations to the itinerary, and will make it possible for passengers to exercise various options.  However, they cannot possible do that until the situation clarifies itself.  Your overwrought approach may help you by getting things off your chest, but it can't possibly result in a good resolution of your concern.

 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like OP has booked Cruise Air  with X which should make it easier..hopefully,   if and when the plan changes. 

 

Airlines ( and pilots) are not going anywhere near the risky ports so that will certainly affect cruising. 

 

So sorry about the mess but X will generally deal with the imediate dates furst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More people have died in the USA from the flu this season then have even contracted the coronovirus

 

Lets put things in perspective

What you think is the right thing to do may not be what others think  Personally I would not have a problem going

The best way to combat any of these virus's is to WASH YOUR HANDS properly and often 

No company can keep you healthy

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, BelloMundo said:

They just want to steal our hard earned money or force us to voluntarily go into a life threatening situation.

LL-P and her band of highwaymen. "Stand and deliver! Your money or your life!"

 

Perhaps a little less melodrama and a lot more thought about the global problems created by this outbreak might help you to understand that Celebrity is operating in a very new and extremely fluid environment with few, if any, precedents to guide them. A quick fix is seldom a good one, so give them time to work it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If necessary Celebrity will monitor the situation and adjust it accordingly. They have no choice not to. It’s just that it’s very fluid and the situation changes daily. Other non Chinese ports will refuse to allow ships that have visited China recently a berth. That is already happening in the South Pacific and those cruise lines didn’t even touch China! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

 

LL-P and her band of highwaymen. "Stand and deliver! Your money or your life!"

 

Perhaps a little less melodrama and a lot more thought about the global problems created by this outbreak might help you to understand that Celebrity is operating in a very new and extremely fluid environment with few, if any, precedents to guide them. A quick fix is seldom a good one, so give them time to work it out.

To many what ifs still at this point and unknowns.  Like you said it is very fluid and a lot of hysteria also happening. Rush decisions are not going to take place within RCI at this point or any organization.  The ones right now yes but 7 weeks out no,  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jelayne said:

 

The article in your post is dated 1/28, 2+ days ago.  Things are changing rapidly with cases of the virus increasing tenfold in a week.   Airlines, cruise lines, tour companies are scrambling to deal with this health emergency.   There are people whose cruises are in days as you cited and are finding they can't board because they have been in Hong Kong.  Do you think Celebrity decided weeks ago to deny boarding to those who were in Hong Kong pre cruise and chose not to tell the passengers until yesterday?  I don't.

 

You cruise is about 6 weeks away.  I would keep the reservation cruise/air and wait to see what changes are made to your itinerary or options you may be offered by Celebrity and the airlines.

 

We have a B2B2B planned for the fall with stops in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, etc.  So I know the anticipation of a trip like yours and the money and time invested in this adventure.  I hope this works out well for you and the others.

 

I wrote this 2 days ago, per CC guidance I re-posted it here.

 

I'm a frequent traveler/flyer,  I have been closely monitoring the outbreak and very aware of the progress.

 

Several cruise lines acted swiftly and fairly, Celebrity has not.

 

Celebrity, obviously did not know the HK issue, they did however know same as sister line Royal Caribbean and chose not to act the same.

 

It has been obvious very early on that this virus is like nothing we have ever seen.

 

The airlines that have seats are quickly filling up, if I follow your suggestion, we will not be able to book our preferred routes or pay exorbitant fares with very few choices. So forgive me if I don't follow your suggestion to wait. If their handling of the first two Asia cruises, there will be very little chance of salvaging our planned time off. 

 

The dragging of not making timely decisions and options for their customers is totally reprehensible of Celebrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pushka said:

If necessary Celebrity will monitor the situation and adjust it accordingly. They have no choice not to. It’s just that it’s very fluid and the situation changes daily. Other non Chinese ports will refuse to allow ships that have visited China recently a berth. That is already happening in the South Pacific and those cruise lines didn’t even touch China! 

 

The question is "when". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity published a notification to passengers on the Feb 1 cruise yesterday.   Looks like the itinerary has been changed to protect those traveling.     They are offering a 100% refund or modified itinerary.

 

image.thumb.png.c5bae34db870101bdf876d3bcc9e0f5f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In spring 2009, we were on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco, Panama Canal Western cruise.  On 2 or 3 day out, we  were told that our 3 Mexican ports of call were cancelled.    We knew of n1hi virus before we left.  We ended up with San Diego arriving around 3 pm and leaving 5-6 hours later, Catalina Island off Los Angeles, CA for the day, and arriving around 1 pm into San Francisco the day prior to our scheduled day of arrival.  

 

We took it is stride.  Those who lived in CA seemed to not take it as well.  

 

Missed going to 3 great ports of call in Mexico. Did it ruin our trip, no.  Were we disappointed, yes. 

 

I hope  Celebrity can give OP more clarity, but it appears the  situation is changing quickly day to day.

Edited by shipshape sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise Law News is the National Enquirer of cruise line news.They are known as the ambulance chasers of the industry. Not a good source to quote if you want to lend any rational credibility to your arguments.

I am so sorry you have been impacted by this, along with thousands of others,  but doubt that Celebrity will make the right decision to keep you happy, nor will they miss you if you never sail with them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruising princess 1964 said:

More people have died in the USA from the flu this season then have even contracted the coronovirus

 

Lets put things in perspective

What you think is the right thing to do may not be what others think  Personally I would not have a problem going

The best way to combat any of these virus's is to WASH YOUR HANDS properly and often 

No company can keep you healthy

 

 

 

 

I work in the medical industry, the flu and this virus are to different animals, there are no similarities whatsoever. There are protocols, vaccines and precautionary methods in place for the flu. The main reason for the deaths is lack of compliance in getting the vaccine and identifying the problem too late, that the patients have the flu and not just the common cold. The new Corona Virus manifests itself differently and there is absolutely no cure or vaccine yet .

 

"What you think is the right thing to do may not be what others think  Personally I would not have a problem going"

 

That is absolutely correct, I was not asking for anyone else, we were asking for ourselves, we will not voluntarily place ourselves anywhere Asia under the current conditions. Others can do as they see fit. What Celebrity is trying to do is force our hands without recourse.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Celebrity published a notification to passengers on the Feb 1 cruise yesterday.   Looks like the itinerary has been changed to protect those traveling.     They are offering a 100% refund or modified itinerary.

 

image.thumb.png.c5bae34db870101bdf876d3bcc9e0f5f.png

 

Only China nationals are being offered a refund. Other nationalities only get cruise credit. 

 

Did you see the date on this letter? How are those poor people make any kind of decision? 

 

They could have taken action days ago, period. Irresponsible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sippican said:

Cruise Law News is the National Enquirer of cruise line news.They are known as the ambulance chasers of the industry. Not a good source to quote if you want to lend any rational credibility to your arguments.

I am so sorry you have been impacted by this, along with thousands of others,  but doubt that Celebrity will make the right decision to keep you happy, nor will they miss you if you never sail with them again.

 

I confirmed the information by checking several sources and personal experience. Celebrity has refused to enter into any kind of option other than "forfeit your payment", period.

 

On you other point, no they wont miss us two, the truth is that there is ample discontent among the 8 or so Asia cruises, equaling thousands that are very angry with Celebrity and have vowed not to sail with them again, no, they wont miss us 2, but they are affecting thousands and THAT they will notice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BelloMundo said:

 

Only China nationals are being offered a refund. Other nationalities only get cruise credit. 

 

Did you see the date on this letter? How are those poor people make any kind of decision? 

 

They could have taken action days ago, period. Irresponsible.

 

Wow!

 

It does NOT say that refunds will only be issued to Chinese nationals.  It says that those who've transited mainland china will be issued refunds because they will not be allowed to sail. 

 

The short time frame of the letter is the not the result of Celebrity's response, but of the rapidly unfolding nature of this issue. 

 

You characterize Celebrity's response as irresponsible.  Most would see it as measured and based upon the best information available without knee-jerk reaction. 

 

It's clear you are unhappy, and likely cannot be made happy. 

 

Your stated decision to not sail with Celebity again is a wise course considering your feelings.  You will perhaos be able to recover payment from you travel insurance, or your credit card. 

 

Harris

Denver, CO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

 

LL-P and her band of highwaymen. "Stand and deliver! Your money or your life!"

 

Perhaps a little less melodrama and a lot more thought about the global problems created by this outbreak might help you to understand that Celebrity is operating in a very new and extremely fluid environment with few, if any, precedents to guide them. A quick fix is seldom a good one, so give them time to work it out.

 

Im sure you would not be calling it "melodrama" if this was happening to you, by the way, its not drama, its frustration at the prospect of a ruined vacation or the opportunity to have a reasonable amount of time to plan. Given the announcements of the WHO, the CDC, and the government raising the warning to level 4 and the circumstances of this aggressive virus, making a swift decision is a no brainer, unless greed is a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, omeinv said:

 

Wow!

 

It does NOT say that refunds will only be issued to Chinese nationals.  It says that those who've transited mainland china will be issued refunds because they will not be allowed to sail. 

 

The short time frame of the letter is the not the result of Celebrity's response, but of the rapidly unfolding nature of this issue. 

 

You characterize Celebrity's response as irresponsible.  Most would see it as measured and based upon the best information available without knee-jerk reaction. 

 

It's clear you are unhappy, and likely cannot be made happy. 

 

Your stated decision to not sail with Celebity again is a wise course considering your feelings.  You will perhaos be able to recover payment from you travel insurance, or your credit card. 

 

Harris

Denver, CO

 

This is the notice the February 1 Sailing passengers received: 

 

Millennium Sailings Out of China and Singapore

 

2/1 ML – Singapore (14 Nt. Taiwan, Vietnam, Japan)

2/15 ML – Hong Kong (14 Nt. South East Asia) Includes Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore

·         Guests who are Chinese Nationals may cancel and receive a 100% refund.

    • Chinese No Shows will be considered as cancelled.

·         Guests of all other nationalities may cancel and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

 

Chines Nationals Sailing On All Other Sailings in February of 2020

  • Chinese Nationals sailing on the following dates will be contacted by our China IRs and offered to cancel with a full refund.
  • Celebrity does not have Chinese National guests booked on any other dates sailing in February of 2020.

 

Boarding Denied - Guests denied boarding either from Coronavirus symptoms or having traveled through Wuhan/Hubei

  • Full refund.
  • No other compensation.
  • Only Exception – 1 night hotel to figure out their travel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BelloMundo said:

 

I confirmed the information by checking several sources and personal experience. Celebrity has refused to enter into any kind of option other than "forfeit your payment", period.

 

On you other point, no they wont miss us two, the truth is that there is ample discontent among the 8 or so Asia cruises, equaling thousands that are very angry with Celebrity and have vowed not to sail with them again, no, they wont miss us 2, but they are affecting thousands and THAT they will notice. 

 

Again, you mischaracterize.  Celebrity has not refused an option, you simply do not like the option that has been presented.  Further, it's fairly clear that - should the situation warrant - they will offer options similar to those for the February cruises. 


This virus outbreak is a near perfect example of a "force majeure" situation.  The definition being unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.  The sad news in that case is legally, it releases the party usually bound by a contract from fulfilling it at all.  Clearly Celebrity is not invoking their right under the doctrine of force majeure, so that's already evidence they're working to mitigate the difficulties.

 

Further, perhaps when booking you travel you should understand what you're agreeing to.  In this case:

 

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

b) In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination, or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component of the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

c) By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability (except as provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.

d) Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.

e) In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:

i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;

ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier .

iii) If the Passenger has travelled to the Vessel, Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; and iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early because of such mechanical failures.

 

Harris

Denver, CO 

 

Edited by omeinv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alas, there is no hope you will achieve resolution of your concern here on Cruise Critic.  You're understandably upset.  Any of us would be, and many of us have been, when faced with similar changes.  I had deviations to cruises when the H1N1 virus was a concern.  My experience, and that of most others, has been that if you allow the cruise line to work through things, they will come up with solutions that will allow for various options, and - as hard as it seems to believe now - will likely resolve the situation to your satisfaction, and be more than fair. 

 

Demands for answers before they exist, and bellicosity on the part of customers, causes many businesses to cease approaching a situation from a customer service standpoint, and instead address complaints as a legal matter.  While making outrageous accusations and demanding instant action may allow one to feel that they are accomplishing something, often patience, and a modicum of cooperation will yield much more long-term satisfaction. 

 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bello the situation with the Corona virus in China and the world is concerning.  But please forgive me, I've read your post twice and I can't understand what you are asking of Celebrity.  Do you want them to change ports/itinerary?  Refund your money?  It's a wait and see game and I can't imagine that they would do either with your cruise being several weeks out.  I suggest, like others, you keep your cool and monitor the situation just like I'm certain the folks are at Celebrity.  As painful as it is, in the grand scheme of this world health crisis, what happens with your cruise is really trivial in comparison....and I mean no disrespect.  I hope it works out for you as well as those in anticipation of an upcoming cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BelloMundo said:

 

Im sure you would not be calling it "melodrama" if this was happening to you, by the way, its not drama, its frustration at the prospect of a ruined vacation or the opportunity to have a reasonable amount of time to plan. Given the announcements of the WHO, the CDC, and the government raising the warning to level 4 and the circumstances of this aggressive virus, making a swift decision is a no brainer, unless greed is a factor.

Actually, we were recently faced with a similar situation but handled it in a very different manner. We found out that our 10-day cruise was being shortened to 8 days, one port was cancelled, another reduced in time and the port dates and order changed. As we seldom cruise for less than 14 days, it was a disappointment to see a 10-day cruise shortened even further. Celebrity didn't provide immediate information on how this would be resolved, but my DW and I were confident that we would be offered options that would be acceptable to us. At no time did I get on the Celebrity board to complain, but instead  took a rather more measured wait and see approach.

 

When Celebrity announced the options available to us, we found them to be very fair, even generous. The changes to our itinerary, the need to rebook flights and hotels and the loss of a couple of days aboard were perhaps minor compared to changes necessitated by the outbreak of the coronavirus, but you need to give Celebrity the necessary time to come up with a good solution, not a quick one.

 

Patience young Grasshopper!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...