What are you packing? (Not clothes)

Vampiress88

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Downy Wrinkle Releaser yet! (Although I'm also surprised it comes up so much in relation to cruising and not general travel - I guess that is because cruising traditionally involves more formal wear!) It does really work to banish creases though!

Multi-USB plugs too. The only thing we have with a traditional plug is my hair straighteners. Everything else charges via USB, so we use a 10 port charger.

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Vampiress88, I have this vision of you stressing so much about what to take, you will forget your girls, Home Alone style... 😂

Andy 

no they are hardly ever quiet enough for me to forget them. I am super forgetful though so they are usually the ones I ask to make sure I’ve locked the front door 🤦‍♀️

there was one time though that I was driving to their old school which is the same way I go to work. They were so quiet that I forgot what I was doing and drove to work instead. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Caroian said:

Multi-USB plugs too. The only thing we have with a traditional plug is my hair straighteners. Everything else charges via USB, so we use a 10 port charger.

Just a reminder that on occasions P&O have not pointed out that multi socket plugs should not be used because of fire risk and presumably USB may be considered in the same way. They will almost certainly tell you not to leave items charging unless you are in the cabin keeping an eye on them (so not asleep), also because of the risk of causing a fire. If you do leave them unattended, your steward should remove the plug if he/she notices it whilst servicing your cabin. May cause some inconvenience but better safe than sorry (for all passengers).

Just now, pete14 said:

Just a reminder that on occasions P&O have not pointed out that multi socket plugs should not be used because of fire risk and presumably USB may be considered in the same way. They will almost certainly tell you not to leave items charging unless you are in the cabin keeping an eye on them (so not asleep), also because of the risk of causing a fire. If you do leave them unattended, your steward should remove the plug if he/she notices it whilst servicing your cabin. May cause some inconvenience but better safe than sorry (for all passengers).

That is true of all cruise lines, not just P&O. In fact many multi-way plug adaptors (e.g 4-way extension leads) are not allowed at all by many cruise lines because they are easy to overload. However the fire risk from a good quality multi-port USB charger (Anker, Syncwire etc) is firstly very low, and secondly really no greater than that caused by plugging each device into a seperate plug to be charged - in fact arguably lower as there is only the once charger device plus all the cables at risk, rather than all the cables and multiple plugs. The  biggest advantage of a multiport charger is that  people are able to get everything charged at once and thus far more likely to adhere to the cruise industry rule of no devices left plugged in unattended in staterooms. 

Great suggestions on this thread, even after 18 years of cruising there are some things we hadn't thought of.

We usually pay for an internet package onboard but only one user can logon at any time. To get round this we use a TP-Link wireless router as an internet hotspot so that we can all use the wifi at the same time.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

Several of the things already mentioned - sea sickness tablets plus other 'in case' medications, Kindle, etc.  Now if going from Southampton: 2 bottles of squash (can't buy squash abroad) biscuits - we like shortbread and Petit Beurre by LU, plain but yummy - cup and saucer, I can't stand drinking out of thick mugs - cellotape - small scissors - dictionary, my husband loves crosswords and prefers a hard copy dictionary, plus pencils, sharpener and rubber - spare glasses, my husband and I both wear glasses, I also have a tiny screwdriver in case one of the screws comes loose, it has happened.  Coffee bags, I tried an Aeropress but didn't get on with it although I know others like it - some crisps, nibble things, the ship sells crisps but they are very expensive and no real choice.  Obviously if we are on a fly cruise this list has to change but at the moment we are not intending to fly.  Oh, yes and while I usually never bother to put in an adapter for European/USA because we never need one if the cruise is from and back to Southampton, on our last Canada/USA trip we had to spend a day at a hospital in Canada and for a while it looked as if we might need to fly home so would need an adapter for phone chargers etc so now I will pack one even if no flight is involved - I've learnt, you just never know.

2 hours ago, Caroian said:

That is true of all cruise lines, not just P&O. In fact many multi-way plug adaptors (e.g 4-way extension leads) are not allowed at all by many cruise lines because they are easy to overload. However the fire risk from a good quality multi-port USB charger (Anker, Syncwire etc) is firstly very low, and secondly really no greater than that caused by plugging each device into a seperate plug to be charged - in fact arguably lower as there is only the once charger device plus all the cables at risk, rather than all the cables and multiple plugs. The  biggest advantage of a multiport charger is that  people are able to get everything charged at once and thus far more likely to adhere to the cruise industry rule of no devices left plugged in unattended in staterooms. 

Thanks for putting me right over multi port USB chargers. I bow to your superior knowledge! Hopefully P&O will be as well informed as you are.

Blimey, reading this makes me feel quite a freak as I take very few of these things.  I suppose it is a bit different when you travel solo - as opposed to being a family group.

I don't take any foodstuff - apart from maybe a carton of fresh milk to last me several days.

I take one charger for my phone and tablet (if I take it) plus a battery-charger for my ancient digital SLR camera.

I don't own a kindle and take one book.  The ships I sail on usually have a good library that I can always find something in.

I do take proprietary meds for potential diarrhoea, sea-sickness (but never used so far), headache and sinus issues.

I do take a night-light as I usually have an inside cabin.

I have always taken washing tablets but they are becoming scarce with the advent of pods.  I like the sound of the washing sheets but will have to wait for them to be available in supermarkets as I don't use Amazon...

I hope I am not the only 'freak' here... 😁

7 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I hope I am not the only 'freak' here... 😁

Fellow 'freak' here. We've cruised "en famille" and not taken half of the things mentioned here. I don't want/expect to have every home comfort available when I go away. I can live without a certain type of biscuit for a week or two. I understand everyone's different and if you have the luggage space and want to take whatever it is, then go for it.

• Like 1

A handful of large clothes pegs or the purpose-made towel clips to hold your towel onto the sun lounger/rinsed out swimming cossies onto a lounger or chair back to prevent them flapping around or blowing away in the breeze. Matalan often have them coming up to the summer holidays, or TK Maxx. They are also available online. At a pinch you can use big hair clips (the kind with 2 sets of teeth and a spring).

Coloured baggage tags or something to help you identify your luggage quickly in the sea of bags at Southampton when you disembark, esoecially if, like ours, your lugge is black Somsinite, so looks identical to everyone else's.

Don't forget. . .

mobile phone chargers

laptop chargers

Plenty of medications (preferably natural) for any illness whilst on board

Fresh lemons and fresh ginger to make proper hot toddies (whiskey from the bar, honey from buffet area)

Your eReader/Kindle if you have one and charger and load with plenty of books to read

A large bag to put dirty laundry in

Washing powder/tablets if you intend doing laundry

Shaving adapters for men and shaver/razors

In terms of documents:

Cruise tickets

CPS sheet

Travel Insurance sheet

Passports

Spending money like Euros etc

and of course always . . . .

A roll of duct tape !

36 minutes ago, groovechick said:

Coloured baggage tags or something to help you identify your luggage quickly in the sea of bags at Southampton when you disembark, esoecially if, like ours, your lugge is black Somsinite, so looks identical to everyone else's.

Just buy bright yellow suitcases (Samsonite do plenty).   You can spot these from a mile away even as you come down the escalator into the baggage hall.   No messing.

16 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Just buy bright yellow suitcases (Samsonite do plenty).   You can spot these from a mile away even as you come down the escalator into the baggage hall.   No messing.

No 'sea of suitcases' by the time they are chucking me off the ship... 😊

The advantage of living in Southampton. 

Andy 

18 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

No 'sea of suitcases' by the time they are chucking me off the ship... 😊

The advantage of living in Southampton. 

Andy 

Totally agree Andy.  I'm only a couple of hours drive from Southampton so usually wait until they announce "would all remaining passengers please now disembark".  As you say, few cases left by then.  The only time it was a problem was when someone else decided to take my case home.  Fortunately, he only lived a few miles outside Southampton and was home by the time the Terminal Staff called him to say he had taken my case rather than his own!  He sheepishly drove back to the terminal with my case... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Totally agree Andy.  I'm only a couple of hours drive from Southampton so usually wait until they announce "would all remaining passengers please now disembark".  As you say, few cases left by then.  The only time it was a problem was when someone else decided to take my case home.  Fortunately, he only lived a few miles outside Southampton and was home by the time the Terminal Staff called him to say he had taken my case rather than his own!  He sheepishly drove back to the terminal with my case... 

Wow that was lucky, your case could have been anywhere... 

Andy 

• Like 1

Loving all these posts! I’ve been running up and downstairs finding all the stuff I’ve not got out yet !

Does Britannia have a shaver socket .. seem to remember not having anywhere to plug the electric toothbrush in .. maybe I’m wrong . Anyone able to confirm otherwise that’s the other thing I’ll have to pack the toothbrush plug 

• Like 1

We have cruised  with kids for about 11 years, things we learnt to always pack  include

Calpol (more than you think you need!)

hydration sachets 

nit comb (sorry to say that the kids club isn't immune to nits 😞  )

body wash/soap (our eldest had very sensitive skin)

spare sun hat (they always loose one!)

when  our kids were younger we also packed bed time teddy, drinking cup they were used to and more nappies than we thought we would ever need (we used most!)

Most other things you can buy in ports if you really needed to but calpol is an essential!

2 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

Loving all these posts! I’ve been running up and downstairs finding all the stuff I’ve not got out yet !

Does Britannia have a shaver socket .. seem to remember not having anywhere to plug the electric toothbrush in .. maybe I’m wrong . Anyone able to confirm otherwise that’s the other thing I’ll have to pack the toothbrush plug 

Can't vouch for Britannia but all other P&O ships have 2 pin sockets in the bathroom for electric shavers and the like so if your shaver or other device has a standard 3 pin UK plug on it you need to bring a 2-pin adapter.

Blinkin' eck.  No wonder we only take one suitcase each.  The only thing extra we take is crystallised ginger for seasickness, otherwise it's just clothes, my charger and that's it.  I couldn't be doing with cleaning down all the surfaces in the cabin. Maybe that's why my immune system seems to be good. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

Can't vouch for Britannia but all other P&O ships have 2 pin sockets in the bathroom for electric shavers and the like so if your shaver or other device has a standard 3 pin UK plug on it you need to bring a 2-pin adapter.

The 2 pin sockets in the bathroom are the thin pin European ones, most UK shavers have the thicker pins.

21 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle gets them from Amazon, but I am sure I have seen a post saying you can buy them in shops but can't remember which one.. 

Andy 

I just bought some on Amazon, came in 2 days.

• Like 1