Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Lovely. We missed the peak season when we were on Diamond two years ago but did see a couple still in flower at Himeji Castle. 

Nah. it's not China's fault. Blame it on ScoMo!  🤣🤣🤣

The media really hates him don't they. He was not in charge during the fire crisis and copped all the blame for the man of the hours failure as a fire chief when the country burned. Inevitably the planet seems to be getting hotter, the Cherry Blossoms are starting early, a lack of snow in Japan, record number of typhoons, same weather patterns replicated in Australia, though at least with our fires mismanagement factors in as well in regards to land clearing and burn offs. Its sad but when you look at the emissions China increases its emissions more per year than what Australia cuts. 

13 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I am feeling the same way. I am just going to go with the flow. If it is cancelled then I will just fly to Tokyo and stay a few nights and then move to a nice cherry blossom city for a few days and fly home. It is in the school holidays and over Easter so essentially it is no drama for me.

The way I see it at this stage it could very well be canceled. From what I am seeing on the SBS on demand of Japanese news is that Japan plans to test every single crew member and passenger before they get off that ship. They have hotels on standby.

Besides if it is cancelled then it is money back and hopefully whatever they decide to credit which may be down to 25% by April.

To test all 3700 pax and crew will take some weeks, so more like quarantine end date will be at least another month, mid April?  Some of the pax will be ready for the Yokohama Lunatic Asylum by then.

David Abel of FB fame wants Sir Richard Branson to send in a plane and right now and take all 70 Brits on board back to England.

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

To test all 3700 pax and crew will take some weeks, so more like quarantine end date will be at least another month, mid April?  Some of the pax will be ready for the Yokohama Lunatic Asylum by then.

David Abel of FB fame wants Sir Richard Branson to send in a plane and right now and take all 70 Brits on board back to England.

Yeah its a bit of a worry. I think they are taking it seriously now. If my translating skills are any good from what I could gather last night on SBS Japanese news a taxi driver has been diagnosed in Okinawa with the virus. She was 60 years old and wearing a face mask and had recently driven passengers on the Diamond Princess.

From what I can understand the virus is highly contagious. It is not fatal to everyone but because of its transmission rate it is more dangerous.

I think starting from now we will see the numbers drop off of those diagnosed on the ship. Maybe a few more but even if 500 get diagnosed that is only 13% of the above figure of passengers and crew. Which leaves 3,200 who didn't get it. Personally I would bet 500 as the possible highest. I think it might ultimately be between 250 and 350 that are diagnosed. If more than 500 are diagnosed then I would be getting worried and I would assume my cruise would be cancelled.

The other worry on the following cruises is clearance in all the ports. The ship is now well known entirely though Japan. Will they allow it to continue on cruises and send people all around their country is the question?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Latest news is that the US State dept will send a charter flight to return US passengers back home  , where they will go into a 14 day quarantine at an Air Force base .

Good news for US passengers.  I wonder what Australia's plans with relation to Australian passengers are?  Are there any Kiwi passengers?

I wonder whether the quarantine period will be lengthened following the diagnosis of a Westerdam passenger having corona virus in Malaysia en route home (Health Ministry Malaysia) scmp.com

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I wonder whether the quarantine period will be lengthened following the diagnosis of a Westerdam passenger having corona virus in Malaysia en route home (Health Ministry Malaysia) scmp.com

I hadn't heard that a Westerdam passenger had coronavirus. I thought they were all clear.

29 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I hadn't heard that a Westerdam passenger had coronavirus. I thought they were all clear.

Yes they were all clear on Westerdam and in Cambodia, but test in Malaysia en route home showed one passenger had the virus. 

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes they were all clear on Westerdam and in Cambodia, but test in Malaysia en route home showed one passenger had the virus. 

That's bad news. I wonder if that person was infected all the time, but didn't show much in the way of symptoms. It would be worrying for the other passengers and the crew of the Westerdam.

Edited by Aus Traveller

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

More importantly, who else caught the virus from the infected passenger?

Re Australians on board, media says the Australian Chief Medical Officer is on the way to Japan to assess possibility of evacuation.  If they do move the Aussies, probably another 14 days in quarantine at the old mining camp - Howard Springs in NT.  Christmas Island.  Good luck to all those on board.

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

More importantly, who else caught the virus from the infected passenger?

Re Australians on board, media says the Australian Chief Medical Officer is on the way to Japan to assess possibility of evacuation.  If they do move the Aussies, probably another 14 days in quarantine at the old mining camp - Howard Springs in NT.  Christmas Island.  Good luck to all those on board.

There's been a bit of information about in the last few days about some of the tests being faulty - lots of false negative results which is - ahem - pretty unhelpful for all involved.

I would think the Japanese authorities are being very careful and from what David Abel on the Diamond Princess has said, they are repeatedly testing some passengers to confirm results.

7 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

There's been a bit of information about in the last few days about some of the tests being faulty - lots of false negative results which is - ahem - pretty unhelpful for all involved.

I would think the Japanese authorities are being very careful and from what David Abel on the Diamond Princess has said, they are repeatedly testing some passengers to confirm results.

I believe the quarantine date ending of 19 Feb will be extended due to more testing? 

If anybody saw Jan Swartz message earlier today, sounds like the Japanese Government has changed the goal posts and passengers and crew will remain on board the Diamond Princess for a bit longer than the February 19 date.  Everyone will be tested before they are allowed to get off and this will take days. 

And Princess has just announced all Diamond Princess cruises up to April 20 have been cancelled. 

23 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good news for US passengers.  I wonder what Australia's plans with relation to Australian passengers are?  Are there any Kiwi passengers?

On a news. report this morning  it was reported that Jacinda and your man are in discussions about sending a plane to pick up Australians and Kiwis . There are about 200 Australians and about 12 Kiwis .When brought back they would be quarantined again .

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

On a news. report this morning  it was reported that Jacinda and your man are in discussions about sending a plane to pick up Australians and Kiwis . There are about 200 Australians and about 12 Kiwis .When brought back they would be quarantined again .

Thanks David

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I just heard on the ABC TV news is that a decision will be made today in Canberra.

Let's hope this does happen and will at least provide some answers to the Australians still onboard.

The Aussies onboard can now breathe a little easier ... just heard on the 9 afternoon news that ScoMo has climbed upon his white horse and is galloping to their rescue via a Qantas plane.  If further quarantine required then maybe Christmas Island will perhaps be the one, seeing as that is reported as being cleared now.

12 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I think they will be quarantined at the former mining camp at Howard near Darwin;.