A tad bit concerned

Tntt

I was reading the statement on royal Caribbeans website regarding the coronavirus and It said if you visited China or if you are not feeling well you wont be allowed to board... my concern is how are they really going to know if someone has been to China or if someone is not feeling well? I mean they can ask them all day long but honestly people Lie.... and I know alot of people that have went on cruises sick simply because they didnt want to lose their money for canceling.... I'm hoping that by the time my cruise that this coronavirus is under control but it still concerns me that I could possibly be exposed if someone decides to lie....

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

So it seems that your options are to take the risk or don't go. What are you expecting people to say here?

I was just voicing my concern... I'm not expecting people to say anything... just wondering was I the only one with this concern....

Just now, Tntt said:

I was just voicing my concern... I'm not expecting people to say anything... just wondering was I the only one with this concern....

Honestly, the human to human transmission of coronavirus is exceedingly low. CDC has reported that all current cases of H2H transmission have occurred between individuals with extended close contact (< 6 feet) while the infected person was at their sickest. There hasn't been any indications that it behaves like the flu where it stays on surfaces for hours or can be spread before symptoms appear

21 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Honestly, the human to human transmission of coronavirus is exceedingly low.

CDC has reported that all current cases of H2H transmission have occurred between individuals with extended close contact (< 6 feet) while the infected person was at their sickest. There hasn't been any indications that it behaves like the flu where it stays on surfaces for hours or can be spread before symptoms appear

I am NOT a health care professional.  But the CDC link below disputes some of your analysis about spread before symptoms

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

Edited by BSocial
Sorry, link doesn’t appear to work. Go directly to CDC site
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

For the "been to China" that's pretty easy to check in their passport (although if somebody had recently returned from China and wanted to avoid being checked they could just use birth certificate and ID)

I believe that this will only work for US citizens sailing on closed loop cruises from US ports.

It's very unlikely that one who recently, within last two weeks, was in China would be doing the above. It would more likely be someone travelling to an Australia or Asia cruise through China.

22 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

For the "been to China" that's pretty easy to check in their passport (although if somebody had recently returned from China and wanted to avoid being checked they could just use birth certificate and ID)

And it has been reported that they are not doing that. They are only asking people. Further, passports are not required on closed loop cruises. Very easy for somebody to just bring a birth certificate for a US based cruise if they don't want them checking their passport. 

18 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Honestly, the human to human transmission of coronavirus is exceedingly low. CDC has reported that all current cases of H2H transmission have occurred between individuals with extended close contact (< 6 feet) while the infected person was at their sickest. There hasn't been any indications that it behaves like the flu where it stays on surfaces for hours or can be spread before symptoms appear

I would be cautious of spreading this information as the CDC website itself states otherwise. They are saying that's typical or often the case with respiratory viruses, however there are indications that the Coronavirus has been spreading through the incubation period. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2001468

From what I'm reading from news outlets, the Diamond Princess case where the man who tested positive for Coronavirus and the source of the spread on the currently quarantined ship reported having no symptoms on the ship and some time after getting off the ship (I've seen up to 5 days later) tested positive when he started having symptoms. Now 10 people on the ship have tested positive so far.

To respond to the OP, you can't control what others are doing. RC has taken certain precautions but there's no foolproof way of denying people entry if they lie or use birth certificates. I would recommend just staying educated about it and making the decision knowing yourself. If you decide to go and you're super worried the entire time and not enjoying yourself that's something you have to take into consideration with the amount financially you'd forfeit if any, etc. 

30 minutes ago, BSocial said:

I am NOT a health care professional.  But the CDC link below disputes some of your analysis about spread before symptoms

My bad, I used that link as well but misread. I thought it said there have not been reports

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BSocial said:

That report (of a single case of asymptomatic transmission) has been largely dismissed, because they never actually asked the patient if she was experiencing symptoms. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

'“I feel bad about how this went, but I don’t think anybody is at fault here,” says virologist Christian Drosten of the Charité University Hospital in Berlin, who did the lab work for the study and is one of its authors. “Apparently the woman could not be reached at first and people felt this had to be communicated quickly.”'

On 2/5/2020 at 9:15 AM, awestover89 said:

CDC has reported that all current cases of H2H transmission have occurred between individuals with extended close contact (< 6 feet) while the infected person was at their sickest.

It would be amazing for the CDC to say this since the CDC cannot possinly know the vectors for the >28,000 infected in China. Maybe it was only the 20+ cases in the US? Small sample size.

We are boarding Quantum in Singapore on Feb 15. We are concerned for sure but still opting to go. Originally our cruise was to end in Hong Kong but now is a closed loop back to Singapore. Also our on our original flight we were to change planes in Hong Kong but Royal changed our flights. It will be interesting to see if the Cruise is full or a lot of people canceled. I will try and do a trip report when we return.

2 hours ago, Heatherco said:

We are boarding a ship tomorrow.  I worry more about what I might catch from the shopping cart at the grocery store.  😁 Unless your Cruise is in Asia, I wouldn’t be too concerned.  Norovirus and flu are a much greater risk.

Very true!  And the common cold viruses that can down some people for 2 weeks and that seem to absolutely plentifully on all ships (and in all grocery stores) waiting to choose me as their carrier 😂