Chops lunch on embarkation day. Casual clothing (shorts, t-shirt) o.k.?

Ship:  Liberty

When:  March 2020

Looking to set the tone for our cruise by not dealing with the madhouse of the lunch buffet on our embarkation day.  I'm thinking of doing the Chops's lunch but we won't have a chance to change into our nice clothes.  We'll still be in shorts, sandals, T-shirts.  Is that o.k. for that particular embarkation meal?

Thanks,

Dan

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Ship:  Liberty

When:  March 2020

Looking to set the tone for our cruise by not dealing with the madhouse of the lunch buffet on our embarkation day.  I'm thinking of doing the Chops's lunch but we won't have a chance to change into our nice clothes.  We'll still be in shorts, sandals, T-shirts.  Is that o.k. for that particular embarkation meal?

Thanks,

Dan

Absolutely OK

You can wear shorts at dinner as well.

Just made our reservation for 12pm on the Liberty.  It makes sense, especially for our party of 8.  It's hard to find that large of a table in the buffet on any given day, let alone the madhouse embarkation lunch. 

Believe it or not, in all of our cruises on Royal Caribbean, this will be our first experience in one of the Specialty restaurants.  Looking forward to dipping our toes in.  🙂  We have a 3 night package on the Grandeur in July and very much look forward to that as well.

Kindly,

Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Just made our reservation for 12pm on the Liberty.  It makes sense, especially for our party of 8.  It's hard to find that large of a table in the buffet on any given day, let alone the madhouse embarkation lunch. 

Here's a secret about Liberty - during breakfast in the Windjammer they'll let you sit in Giovanni's after you get your food. There is a table that seats about 10 which would accommodate your group. Not sure if you can sit in there for lunch. 

41 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Here's a secret about Liberty - during breakfast in the Windjammer they'll let you sit in Giovanni's after you get your food. There is a table that seats about 10 which would accommodate your group. Not sure if you can sit in there for lunch. 

Thank you!!

Dan

On 2/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Believe it or not, in all of our cruises on Royal Caribbean, this will be our first experience in one of the Specialty restaurants.  Looking forward to dipping our toes in.  🙂  We have a 3 night package on the Grandeur in July and very much look forward to that as well.

Kindly,

Dan

We always do this on pretty much every cruise we go on now! There are many reasons for this, one being the relative peace and quiet (although timing can have you in the WJ when it's equally as peaceful), another being it's a good way to test the menu to see if it's worth the extra for dinner - having cruised for decades, I think it's tired and the lunch menu is fairly substantial enough to satisfy our needs. It's also worth noting that there's a number of dishes that can be brought to your MDR table 'a la carte' so to speak - so you pay for the dish and not the cover charge!

my tip - the mushroom soup is great! The MDR is good but the chops one is just that little bit more special - and the Beef Carpaccio too! Then it's the Filet for the main course and you're off n running as far as a Chops '1st timer' goes!

Enjoy your cruise and Bon Appetit!

On 2/6/2020 at 1:42 PM, HicksRA said:

They are aware that most people don’t have access to their luggage on day 1 and are very lax in dress expectations for lunch and dinner.  
No problems dining at Chops in your travel clothes. 

Even the MDR allows shorts and tshirts for breakfast and lunch (on the days they open for lunch) throughout the cruise. 

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Even the MDR allows shorts and tshirts for breakfast and lunch (on the days they open for lunch) throughout the cruise. 

We've done this.  Love eating lunch in the MDR.  I've typically worn cargo shorts and a polo shirt and fit right in.  Plenty of others in shorts and t-shirts and it's all good.

Dan

5 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

It's also worth noting that there's a number of dishes that can be brought to your MDR table 'a la carte' so to speak - so you pay for the dish and not the cover charge!

Enjoy your cruise and Bon Appetit!

Thank you.  A question for you...  Have you ordered from the up-charge "Premium Selections" menu in the MDR?  If so, did you feel the food quality was on par with the same entree in Chops itself?  There's always one night in the MDR that I have a tough time finding something that suits my taste. (the menu that has the lamb shank on it).

I may consider the upcharge if the Filet Mignon specifically is up to snuff with Chops itself.

Dan

13 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thank you.  A question for you...  Have you ordered from the up-charge "Premium Selections" menu in the MDR?  If so, did you feel the food quality was on par with the same entree in Chops itself?  There's always one night in the MDR that I have a tough time finding something that suits my taste. (the menu that has the lamb shank on it).

I may consider the upcharge if the Filet Mignon specifically is up to snuff with Chops itself.

Dan

Yes from time to time I have done - I've always found it to be of equal quality and obviously at a suitable temperature too ( you're paying extra and they don't want the fuss of you sending it back and refunding it I guess)

I can't remember what actual choices are on the PS part of the menu, the filet may or may not be (I board at the weekend so can check for you - internet permitting) - but it's 100% on the lunch menu!

11 minutes ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Yes from time to time I have done - I've always found it to be of equal quality and obviously at a suitable temperature too ( you're paying extra and they don't want the fuss of you sending it back and refunding it I guess)

I can't remember what actual choices are on the PS part of the menu, the filet may or may not be (I board at the weekend so can check for you - internet permitting) - but it's 100% on the lunch menu!

Excellent, thank you.  The three choices for the premium selections are 1.25 lb-1.5 lb Whole Lobster, 9oz Filet Mignon, or Surf and Turf (6oz lobster tail and 9oz filet)

Dan

5 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Excellent, thank you.  The three choices for the premium selections are 1.25 lb-1.5 lb Whole Lobster, 9oz Filet Mignon, or Surf and Turf (6oz lobster tail and 9oz filet)

Dan

Yeah that rings a bell!   

I say go for lunch and see what you think and then maybe upscale your MDR choice if others don't fancy the surcharge

I see that you've already had your question answered; anything goes.

On our last four cruises, we've had lunch in Chops on embarkation day. It's quite, civil, you're waited on, you get a nice lunch and it's the perfect way to begin a cruise! We make our reservations for noon. By the time we complete lunch, our cabins are ready.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, terri1020 said:

I see that you've already had your question answered; anything goes.

On our last four cruises, we've had lunch in Chops on embarkation day. It's quite, civil, you're waited on, you get a nice lunch and it's the perfect way to begin a cruise! We make our reservations for noon. By the time we complete lunch, our cabins are ready.

Happy cruising!

Sssshush ... don't tell everyone! ha ha ha

On 2/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Absolutely OK

You can wear shorts at dinner as well.

On embarkation day? I ask because they were strictly enforcing no shorts at Chops during dinner time on my last two RC cruise (Mar 2019 - Navigator and Oct 2019 - Harmony). 

Edited by BTHodgeman

3 minutes ago, BTHodgeman said:

On embarkation day? I ask because they were strictly enforcing no shorts at Chops during dinner time on my last two RC cruise (Mar 2019 - Navigator and Oct 2019 - Harmony). 

Yes on embarkation day and FWIW worth I have worn shorts to Chops on numerous occasions on other days as well.

• Like 1