Rudi's Sel de Mer pricing

travelingla

We made reservations for the Rudi's on board (NOT a pop up) and it says alacarte but we were charged $40 on line. Can someone please explain? What are we allowed to order? Just up to the $40 and then pay the difference over $40?  Just a bit confused.

Thanks

We were charged $49 each Jan. 12th on the Nieuw Statendam.  They had just changed from ala Carter to fixed price.  It was ala carte when we made the reservation 6 weeks before the cruise therefore no charge before we boarded.  Maybe if you book early it is less.

35 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Here is (I think) the current fixed price Sel de Mer Menu--

Rudi's Sel de Mer Menu.pdf 167.97 kB · 5 downloads

This menu is different from what was presented on the Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Volendam and, as I recall, from the January 15, 2020 cruise on the Eurodam.

Reading this menu, it actually sounds more appealing than the menus from which I ordered. And, there really wasn't anything wrong with the choices on the other menus!

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

This menu is different from what was presented on the Christmas/New Year's Cruise on the Volendam and, as I recall, from the January 15, 2020 cruise on the Eurodam.

Reading this menu, it actually sounds more appealing than the menus from which I ordered. And, there really wasn't anything wrong with the choices on the other menus!

On the Volendam and Eurodam you had the pop up restaurant and the menu is a bit different.  I do agree that the pop up menu is pretty good, but I also like the full restaurant menu a bit better.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:54 PM, VMax1700 said:

Rudi's is no longer priced a la carte, but fixed price $40 each.  

It is? Fantastic. I'm going to guess the Seafood Fountain is extra above the $40 though, if it's still offered?

----

Different menu for pop up (Eurodam, etc.) vice full time (Koningsdam) I suppose? And yes, the Fruits de Mer (seafood fountain) is a $25 surcharge (and worth it).

Edited by MauiWowie57

1 minute ago, MauiWowie57 said:

It is? Fantastic. I'm going to guess the Seafood Fountain is extra above the $40 though, if it's still offered?

Yes, there are a couple of 'upcharge items' offered.  I believe the current onboard price is $49 per person.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:12 PM, rkacruiser said:

Hi Bob!

The menu I posted is for the Pinnacle class ships with the dedicated Sel de Mer. This is after they changed to a fixed price format. I hope to be trying the Dover Sole per your recommendation next month! 

Fred

PS- I owe you an email...

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

Hi Bob!

The menu I posted is for the Pinnacle class ships with the dedicated Sel de Mer. This is after they changed to a fixed price format. I hope to be trying the Dover Sole per your recommendation next month! 

Fred

Off-topic, but I see you will be on the K. South America.  Think it will be OK (virus-wise)?  May book this, but not sure how things will go and wondering what to do.

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Hi Bob!

Fred

The fresh fish selection on the Eurodam's pop-up's menu was Red Snapper.  I ordered it and it was delicious.  Thus far, I have found the pop-ups on Westerdam, Volendam, and Eurodam to match my experience and satisfaction with what I experienced on Nieuw Statendam.

If you order Dover Sole, I hope you will be as pleased as I have been in the past! 

Thanks for the copy of the Menu.  I see two big changes.  Baked Maine Lobster has finally been changed to Baked Maine  Lobster TAIL.   I have discussed this with HAL over the last couple of years trying to get them to change the description.  Finally.  And the after dinner coffees are not listed.  Does that mean they are not available, or there is no charge?  Wishful thinking on the no charge, however. 

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Off-topic, but I see you will be on the K. South America.  Think it will be OK (virus-wise)?  May book this, but not sure how things will go and wondering what to do.

I have been a little concerned. No one on our roll call seems worried. I do have HAL's Platinum CPP but I am not ready to cancel yet. We will see how the next couple of weeks play out. It should be a fantastic cruise - but it would only take one coronavirus person onboard to make things go south (intentional play on words!) in a hurry. 

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

I have been a little concerned. No one on our roll call seems worried. I do have HAL's Platinum CPP but I am not ready to cancel yet. We will see how the next couple of weeks play out. It should be a fantastic cruise - but it would only take one coronavirus person onboard to make things go south (intentional play on words!) in a hurry. 

Having been to almost all these ports, I have to say you are right!  Also, very right about going south fast!  Hope it works out and you have a great time!  We'll see about us.

17 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Hi Bob!

Fred

I hope your sole is better than the one I got.  I never had a properly cooked tough fish before but that thing was more like the shoe variety than the ocean type.

2 hours ago, Woofbite said:

I hope your sole is better than the one I got.  I never had a properly cooked tough fish before but that thing was more like the shoe variety than the ocean type.

That’s a shame.  We did the pop up Sel de Mer on the Prinsendam twice and the Dover sole was beautiful 🙂 

Everyone who had it at our table enjoyed it thoroughly 😄 

8 hours ago, Woofbite said:

If you did not send it back, you should have, in my opinion!  Dover Sole surely is not a "tough" fish.  Flaky, just delightful, if the fish is as it should be and is properly prepared.  

Did you say anything to the Maitre d'?  Culinary Operations Manager?  Hotel Director?  Such an experience warrants "going up the line", I think.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If you did not send it back, you should have, in my opinion!  Dover Sole surely is not a "tough" fish.  Flaky, just delightful, if the fish is as it should be and is properly prepared.  

Did you say anything to the Maitre d'?  Culinary Operations Manager?  Hotel Director?  Such an experience warrants "going up the line", I think.

No, I didn't do any of the above and in hindsight I should have.  The whole dinner was a real disappointment. Service was incredibly slow, the seafood tower shrimp half raw, the lobster my friend ordered was two tiny four-inch long things that looked like prawns.  Our wine steward never showed again to refill or permit a reorder and, of course, Crepes Suzette without flambée is just an orange pancake.

We were sitting just a couple of tables from Mr. Ashford and his wife.  I assume they had a better experience.

2 hours ago, Woofbite said:

No, I didn't do any of the above and in hindsight I should have.  The whole dinner was a real disappointment. Service was incredibly slow, the seafood tower shrimp half raw, the lobster my friend ordered was two tiny four-inch long things that looked like prawns.  Our wine steward never showed again to refill or permit a reorder and, of course, Crepes Suzette without flambée is just an orange pancake.

We were sitting just a couple of tables from Mr. Ashford and his wife.  I assume they had a better experience.

That's terrible!  What ship?  I'm sure you're right, they were  catering to the Ashfords.  What a shame.

Rudi's is a total ripoff even with the 50% Mariners discount. I can't believe anyone would pay the full price of $49 per person for mediocre food and not so great service. The service in the dinning room was better than Rudi's. We ate in all of the Koningsdam special restaurants and Rudi's was the worst meal we had on the ship including the dinning room.  My wife had Lamp Chops and they were tasteless.  I had the whole Lobster and it was mushy.  No we didn't send the meals back, but, in hindsight, we should have. The Pinnacle Grill was the best meal on the ship, but it too is getting pricy. All of the special restaurants are getting too pricy. Yes, I noted all of this on my survey.