CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

Anyone cancel before Carnival relaxed their cancellation  policy for up and coming cruises? We were scheduled for early April cruise and canceled 2/28. Paid in full and  only refunded us 50%. They kept half our money. Reason I gave was fear of Coronavirus. I even asked if I could reschedule the cruise to not lose money and they said no. Days later they are offering this. Has anyone done the same as us? 

I’m on hold for over an hour and still not able to contact them to see if they will honor their change in policy with recent events and allow us to take that money they kept and rebook the cruise for next year in April. Has anyone had similar situation and have you called them and had good results with their customer service? 

thanks.

25 minutes ago, HxFx said:

... So instead we are planning a last minute trip to Disney! Don’t worry, it’s just adults, not putting any minors at risk!!

You will KNOW it's bad if/when Disney starts closing locations (stateside that is)!

• Haha 1

State department threw cruises under the bus this afternoon.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

"

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html. "

Leaving tomorrow for a 4 night cruise.  I''ll take every precaution, but I don't doubt I''ll  get the flu.  I'll be home before the symptoms arise.  Almost everybody will get this flu.  I had a flu shot in November; still got the flu last month.   

Since I'll be back on FRIDAY the 13th,  I'll post a note to let the panicked ones know how it went.  I''ll also post a not after the two week incubation period has passed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HxFx said:

I read Ms. Specht’s Twitter page. I would say at the least she has some unconscious political bias. I remember when that guy in Texas had ebola (around 2014 - lied to get on the plane) and there was much less panic. That disease was extremely scary.  We have a lot of communicable diseases and there are so many factors. I think COVID-19 has been in the U.S. and under-diagnosed for a while. Most people with flu-like symptoms don’t go to the hospital or even the doctor’s. Now, anyone with flu-like symptoms (or even just a cold) are going to the hospital and being tested because they are scared (understandably so given the news). I would like to know how the average all-cause mortality has been affected for the same periods of time from other years. Have deaths from “chest infection” increased? If so, then I would be more concerned. Wish they would talk about that. BTW, do you have link to that 70 staffers comment? I couldn’t find that with a search. Did they talk about the severity?

I”m glad the cruise lines are offering folks an option because who wants to go on vacation and be stressed. Now they have a choice that doesn’t cause them to lose thousands of dollars. Either way, we will know very soon if Ms. Specht is right! Not gonna cancel my cruise next month until the last possible moment (31 March!). I was supposed to go to Hawaii this week but that trip got cancelled due to Corona (not by me). So instead we are planning a last minute trip to Disney! Don’t worry, it’s just adults, not putting any minors at risk!!

The scientists who aren't political agree its a bat disease originating in China Oct-Nov 2019 time frame.

Hardly anyone is being tested, that's a big problem in spreading it!

about the 70 staffers from nursing home, I read the story on several locations, here's one,,,

https://abcnews.go.com/US/nursing-home-grappling-coronavirus-outbreak-struggling-answers/story?id=69419434

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AmBear said:

The scientists who aren't political agree its a bat disease originating in China Oct-Nov 2019 time frame.

Hardly anyone is being tested, that's a big problem in spreading it!

about the 70 staffers from nursing home, I read the story on several locations, here's one,,,

https://abcnews.go.com/US/nursing-home-grappling-coronavirus-outbreak-struggling-answers/story?id=69419434

Thanks, interesting article. I wish they went into more details about the symptoms. Hopefully the staff will all get tested as well. Can't believe they haven't tested everyone that died at the home. 

1 minute ago, HxFx said:

Thanks, interesting article. I wish they went into more details about the symptoms. Hopefully the staff will all get tested as well. Can't believe they haven't tested everyone that died at the home. 

someone just shared this with me. It goes into a little more. I admit when I hear “mild” I was thinking it wasn’t too bad. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/health/coronavirus-china-aylward.html

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Great. Just great. What's the next stop?  Banning U.S. citizens from going on a cruise? :classic_angry:

Could happen if people keep infecting others with the attitude, I don't care, I'm gonna live my life,blah, blah, blah.

If this virus continues, and we don't act responsibly, then this government will eventually be forced to react like other countries, close borders, lock down cities, shut off all travel, etc.!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

someone just shared this with me. It goes into a little more. I admit when I hear “mild” I was thinking it wasn’t too bad. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/health/coronavirus-china-aylward.html

If you're into the history of how this starts, and how people/governments have messed up in the past, this is a great historical read of the 1918 world epidemic,,,

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/journal-plague-year-180965222/

State Department posted THIS.   Never thought I would see something so irresponsible and specifically targeting cruise ships.  I don't see a similar warning for planes. "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."

• Like 2

"likely"

Means, "Don't know, maybe"

It's a strain of coronavirus, it is what it is.

Blaming bats and Chinese people is silly and irresponsible.

I'm done, but you rant on without definitive evidence, just guessing and maybes

The cruise lines are stepping up big time to keep their ships clean and disinfected.  No more self service on the Carnival buffets (yay!) either.  I'll feel safer on our Carnival Freedom cruise next month than I would ever feel walking around in downtown San Francisco.  Streets covered with feces, hypodermic needles, rats and tent cities.  Bubonic plague waiting to happen.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Thebosn1 said:

State Department posted THIS.   Never thought I would see something so irresponsible and specifically targeting cruise ships.  I don't see a similar warning for planes. "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."

I actually thought there was a post earlier referring to planes. I’ll see if I can find it. 

Sure cruises bring lots of people close together but so do many other things. Are they going to close Disney World?  I feel far more crowded there and if someone gets sick can they account for every person that was there that day like on a cruise? Only targeting certain things doesn't make sense. If you are going to quarantine you have to shut it all down like they did in China. Not necessarily advocating that just picking and choosing is not an effective strategy.  

Edited by M2LR
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I actually thought there was a post earlier referring to planes. I’ll see if I can find it. 

If you click on the provided link, flying is also referenced, but not discouraged like cruises are being

34 minutes ago, AmBear said:

If you're into the history of how this starts, and how people/governments have messed up in the past, this is a great historical read of the 1918 world epidemic,,,

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/journal-plague-year-180965222/

im not sure I’m brave enough to read this at the moment. Any other time I’d be interested. 

Don't worry!

According to one of the latest videos on John Heald's FB page there is no difference cruising now than it was 3 weeks ago --- except people are washing their hands more and using more hand sanitizer.

As long as you're on a Carnival cruise you are safe, just ask John. He says that Carnival & Christine Duffy will keep everyone safe. Too bad Carnival hasn't shared their ability to safeguard against COVID-19 with their sister line, Princess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I want to know about cruises , ships , restaurants within the cruise industry I come here..

Also if it in the news and  about cruise .. I can come here for reference ..

for health advise , not so much... 😀 

here is hoping they get a handle on it quickly , and it’s back to normal quickly.. 

but with the advisory out .. I wouldn’t be surprised if carnival is making alternate plans ..most likely put in play after yesterday meeting .

10 minutes ago, HxFx said:

Have any of the links been to Fox articles? Odd reference. I am definitely booked on a cruise next month out of Tampa. ..

I agree.  Odd Reference.  Is this a Fox News Virus?  How is this the fault of Fox News?

I too am in the same "boat" (bu dum bum).

I am booked on a cruise May 4th. 

I am still in utter disbelief in what happened to the people in China. 

From what I have read, their population did not fair as well due to air pollution and a higher percentage of their population being smokers.  Even then the the death rate versus infection rate is on the low side.  Because people can have a very mild case, I believe many more people have contacted this than has been reported.  Also it has probably been in this country longer than "a few weeks".

This virus does not scare me.  On the other hand, ebola was way more terrifying than this.

I am not afraid of this virus, but peoples reaction to it does concern me.