Pre cruise Stay in Amsterdam

bluewatercoulpe

We used to stay in the Renaissance,  and we loved how Central it was to downtown.  There is a hotel that we stayed at last time which is right on the dock. Makes it real easy for boarding. Don't need a taxi, but not very close to the center of town. It does have a good restaurant,  breakfast buffet and awesome ice cream. Plus some souvenir shops. Funny story, last time we stayed there, the last resident left his marijuana in the closet. Guess he didn't want to board with it. Free pot. 

• Haha 1

We stayed 2 nights at the Movenpick last September.  I would stay there again in a heartbeat.  Super service, they gladly held some bags for several days that we had sent ahead to the hotel, and an awesome breakfast buffet (more like a huge brunch) was included with our room.  You literally walk out the front door and a few steps to the left and enter the cruise terminal.  So much fun watching the ships arrive in the morning too. The cost was very reasonable for what we got IMO.

• Like 2

We stayed at the Banks Mansion.  Wonderful location, super staff and basically all inclusive.  Breakfast included, drinks available in the library 24/7 included and a lovely reception each evening with wine, cheese board and other Dutch treats.

I stayed at the Nova Hotel, a nice centrally located hotel that's on the budget side.  The address is Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 276, 1012 RS Amsterdam, Netherlands.  If I go back, which I almost certainly will, I'll probably stay at the Centraal Station Doubletree so I can use my Hilton Honors points.  I checked it out in Amsterdam when I saw how close it is to the cruise docks.

Well how many nights? One night, stay at Doubletree or Movenpick. This area is super convenient to the ship and train station but also extremely congested - I found it fearful to exit the area and get to the more picturesque parts of Amsterdam (that may be a bit of an exaggeration but with the trams, bicycles and pedestrians - it is a total scrum). 

If you are staying several nights, I suggest a hotel around the canal ring or Jordan area. Down by the park and Rikes museum has some nice places too. Enjoy!

The Movenpick was my traveling companion's and my choice.  We enjoyed it and found it convenient to what we wanted to do.  We did not find the area around the hotel to be congested.

As suec12 posted, one does need to be on "high alert" as one walks around Amsterdam for trams, bicycles, and even small cars driving on the sidewalk.  

• Like 1

I walked all over Amsterdam, including the area around Centraal Station.  Bicycles were more of a problem than trams, cars, cabs, etc.  Just pay attention and don't walk in the red brick areas.  They're not walking paths. 

We enjoyed the Doubletree and Renaissance.  Renaissance is off the main drag by a block or so.  Check out That Dam Guide who offers some great small group tours in the city and around the countryside.  He and his team are excellent.  

On 2/23/2020 at 6:06 AM, kazu said:

We stayed at the Banks Mansion.  Wonderful location, super staff and basically all inclusive.  Breakfast included, drinks available in the library 24/7 included and a lovely reception each evening with wine, cheese board and other Dutch treats.

Let me second everything kazu has said about the Banks Mansion. It sounds like Movenpick is the top choice if proximity and access to the cruise pier is the top criterion but if you're spending a little time in Amsterdam and want to be in the midst of it, you can't do better than the Banks Mansion. As I recall, a taxi whisked us to the pier in short order and for well less than 20 euros.

Recommendation: If you have a day to spend in Amsterdam, the Anne Frank House is a must visit. Tickets go on sale two months in advance and must be purchased on-line and ahead of time.