Venice is an issue this coming summer?

6 minutes ago, sunbrookgal said:

With  travel restrictions now expanding to the Italian regions of Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy and Veneto. As documented on the RCL web page. Will RCL be looking to move Venice off the port list and redirect? 

If there is still the travel restriction in place then yes.

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If there is still the travel restriction in place then yes.

What travel restriction are you talking about? Venice is not in any of the restricted areas.  Also, the major train route from Germany and Austria to Venice does not go through the restricted areas. At the moment there is no restriction on flying into Venice.  

Edited by crazyank
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, crazyank said:

What travel restriction are you talking about? Venice is not in any of the restricted areas.  Also, the major train route from Germany and Austria to Venice does not go through the restricted areas. At the moment there is no restriction on flying into Venice.  

I think the US 'level 4' travel advice includes Venice, no? It says "Lombardy and Veneto". I think Venice is the capital of Veneto.

"Veneto is a northeastern Italian region stretching from the Dolomite Mountains to the Adriatic Sea. Venice, its regional capital, is famed for its canals, Gothic architecture and Carnival celebrations. "

American Airlines also now no longer flying to Milan until April 24. Rhapsody is due to arrive on May 8. 

Edited by Mark_UK
updated with links
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

I think the US travel advice includes Venice, no? It says "Lombardy and Veneto". I think Venice is the capital of Veneto.

"Veneto is a northeastern Italian region stretching from the Dolomite Mountains to the Adriatic Sea. Venice, its regional capital, is famed for its canals, Gothic architecture and Carnival celebrations. "

I stand corrected.  Venice is on the far eastern edge of the restricted are. 

If the virus is still active and growing in Summer we all do not have to worry about travel restriction to parts of Italy but to all Europe and even to the rest of the world including America! In this case it will also not impact just travel and individual cruises some people booked but the global economy and many jobs. 

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

I stand corrected.  Venice is on the far eastern edge of the restricted are. 

Also, the US government has now declared all of Italy a level 3 (no unnecessary travel). Things just got worse IMO for any port stops or departures from Italy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Too soon to tell for this summer, a lot will change between now and then (early vaccines hopefully). I would recommend waiting it out for now, hopefully you will still have an amazing trip!

^^^this!

If you want to visit Venice just stop in Monaco or buy a straight flight to Venice airport. From Venice you can sail wherever you want. You can also depart from there (not sure how that is possible in the current condition) but in any case there are always options 

But why would you want to fly into Venice, with all of the travel restrictions in place??  And Roger88, you may not be able to "sail wherever you want" from Venice... at this point, with the number of cases identified there, I would hope you cannot.  You may be able to get to Vennice, but travel restrictions are being updated daily, and you may be quarantined there, or held in quarantine when you try to get back to US.  

Just read an article that the virus wont survive at temperatures {outside the body obviously} greater that 28 deg so most of Italy will probably be clear by mid-may at the latest. 

30 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

Just read an article that the virus wont survive at temperatures {outside the body obviously} greater that 26 deg so most of Italy will probably be clear by mid-may at the latest. 

Extract from the article:

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
THE SYMPTOMS
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention."

Edited by DaiC01

I can only assume based on what’s happened in other affected areas, that RC will end up canceling those sailings if it’s no longer safe for people to be there, or maybe relocate the ship and offer alternate sailings. If that happens, the airlines will also likely allow people to change their bookings accordingly. They will certainly have it figured out by summer if they do have to make changes.

3 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Just read an article that the virus wont survive at temperatures {outside the body obviously} greater that 28 deg so most of Italy will probably be clear by mid-may at the latest. 

I doubt this is true as Singapore has over 100 cases and daytime temps over 30 deg.

1 minute ago, kernow said:

I doubt this is true as Singapore has over 100 cases and daytime temps over 30 deg.

Agree. The same was said for swine flu in '09 and the peak was July/Aug. 

4 minutes ago, kernow said:

Last I saw there were about 260 case in Singapore, and the first one was not long after the story broke  out of China.

It seems the cases here are either people travelling in from affected are or direct contact with those travelling in.

6 weeks and only 260 cases doesn't represent the rapid spread as for example in Northern Italy.

But I could be wrong but I would rather listen to an expert.

10 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

Last I saw there were about 260 case in Singapore, and the first one was not long after the story broke  out of China.

It seems the cases here are either people travelling in from affected are or direct contact with those travelling in.

6 weeks and only 260 cases doesn't represent the rapid spread as for example in Northern Italy.

But I could be wrong but I would rather listen to an expert.

Singapore has 106 cases. We were supposed to be on the cancelled 15/02 Quantum cruise so I was closely following the situation there since late Jan. I think it  is generally agreed that the reason there has not been such a rapid spread there is because of the strict measures the government has put in place and the generally compliant nature of their citizens. This article gives a good explanation.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/28/singapore-coronavirus-contained-response/

53 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Will be gutted if our September Med cruise out of Civitavechhia is cancelled but safety and well-being first.  

Ours is in October and I am holding my breath. Hoping airfare won't rise too much, as we are waiting it out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheeriomom said:

Ours is in October and I am holding my breath. Hoping airfare won't rise too much, as we are waiting it out. 

We are also holding off on buying plane tix but will have to make a decision in the next couple months.  Hoping and praying things settle down.

Italy is my favorite country to visit; it’s so sad. 😔 I would think and hope that cruise lines are considering alternatives right now for the upcoming season because they surely wouldn’t risk going there during this. 

And yes, Venice is part of the Level 4 Do Not Travel area.

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

4 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Extract from the article:

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
THE SYMPTOMS
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention."

Curious about heat killing the virus - 28 in celsius is like 82 fahrenheit.  So wondering how will air conditioning impact that?  Around here most people keep their houses and businesses around 70 or below in the summer.

Many European countries hardly ever get up to 28 degrees, so it could possibly continue through summer?

Edited by mek